United were in the East End of London on Saturday afternoon for their trip to face Leyton Orient.

Exactly 700 travelling Blues made their way to watch Paul Simpson's first game of his second spell as United manager, with a renewed feeling of optimism around the club.

Four changes were made to last weekend's starting eleven with Mitchell Roberts, Tobi Sho-Silva, Corey Whelan and Owen Windsor taking a step back onto the bench to be replaced by Jack Armer, Jamie Devitt, Jordan Gibson and Kristian Dennis.

Joe Riley was at the right of five-man back line, Armer on the left, with Mellish, Simeu and Feeney making up the central trio.

Orient were also under new guidance, with Matt Harrold on interim manager duties, having parted company with Kenny Jackett in midweek.

Jamie Devitt earned his side an early free kick right in front of the away supporters as he was barged off the ball, and he dusted himself off to deliver to the near stick. A low clearance fell for Guy to strike from distance, but it was blocked and it spun away to safety.

The O's won a corner as they got forward for the first time, and Harry Smith got his head to a dipping delivery. Howard made sure when he tipped it over his bar. The back line had two more centres to defend, but Simeu and Guy stood strong.

United were in front bang on five minutes when Devitt robbed possession inside his own half. He fed it to Dennis, who stretched to toe poke it for Patrick to chase. The forward used pace to streak into the box and he checked back to leave an opening to shoot. Vigouroux could do nothing as a low shot fizzed under his dive.

'Paul Simpson's blue and white army' belted out from the away stand as they celebrated Patrick's fourth of the season.

The away team crafted an excellent move when Guy picked out Patrick with his back to goal. He shielded it before piercing the back line with a wonderful through ball. Riley overlapped to deliver, but it was just too high for Armer to connect with.

Orient showed that they were in the fight when a whipped cross from Archibald was nodded out as far as Kyprianou. He volleyed first time but it was badly skewed and it curled away for a throw.

An eight-yard Smith header was a whisker away on 26 minutes as it bounced off the surface and popped up awkwardly, but it fell over the bar. Drinan had done the leg work to fashion the cross, but Howard looked comfortable with the situation as he watched the ball come his way.

Feeney did well to get to another Drinan outswinger as Smith steamed into the box to greet it, and the number 16 was on the end of the Archibald corner that followed. He couldn't believe his eyes when he somehow sent it past the upright from just 10 yards out.

Excellent hard work from Patrick saw him keep the ball under pressure at the other end, and a clever inside ball found Dennis in space. Guy was lined up to shoot, but it was wayward and it walloped the advertising hoardings.

United came again with Patrick once more at the heart of it, and he was able to drop a shoulder and shoot after Dennis and Riley had made some room. It took a deflection and that made it easier for Vigouroux to deal with.

Howard had to show good hands when Pratley supported the attack just before the break. A header from the edge of the area from a Drinan centre had power, but the stopper was equal to it.

Another incisive visiting move, sparked by pace from Riley, carved Orient apart as the right-back launched himself into the midfield gap. Gibson took over, and his delivery from wide was perfect for the late arriving Armer to volley. Vigouroux was beaten and mightily relieved as it bobbled just wide.

Into the second period and Theo Archibald was sent off when he picked up two yellow cards in the space of five minutes for late challenges on Gibson and Mellish.

Things stayed tight in midfield, as United held their shape, but they broke on the hour when Gibson and Patrick exchanged passes to bring Riley onwards. He spotted Armer on a run, and the defender tried his luck with a rasper as he reached the edge of the box.

Gibson picked out Patrick with another excellent pass moments later and it opened up in front of him just for a moment. He kept his thunderbolt low but the keeper was there to grasp it once again.

Riley had a shot charged down when he supported the attack, and Vigouroux pulled off an excellent one-handed diving save from Gibson as the blue shirts recycled an attempted break out from the hosts. It was going in until the fingertips did their job.

A volleyed cross from Riley which ripped across the face of goal was the end product of a patient build-up which saw the visitors pass the ball from right to left and back again. It needed a touch, but it was just too far in front of the forward line.

A rare Orient attack brought a corner that skimmed off Feeney's head, and there was relief from the travelling supporters when it ran free and clear.

There were set pieces to deal with as Orient threw men into the attack, but Sho-Silva had a real chance with his first touch after coming on when Armer put him through with a raking pass. He was forced wide and his volley flew over the bar.

Gibson then slid one through for Whelan to chase, and he reached the byline befere cutting it back. An Orient boot got the first touch and the keeper gathered it in.

There was still work for Howard to do and he had to parry when he saw a crunching 20-yard volley from Kyprianou late, and he thanked Mellish when he stepped in to mop it up.

The big keeper plucked a weak Nouble header out of the air when the clock ticked into the six minutes of time added on, and there was a scramble inside the six-yard box when a dinked delivery from the left ricocheted between Feeney and Simeu. It was eventually put behind for a corner.

Sho-Silva had to head behind off the line after Pratley got something to it - as much a points winning intervention as the goal - and the last of the inswingers was allowed to bounce behind after Sotiriou misplaced his touch.

The nailbiting period came to an end with the referee's whistle, which was accompanied by a huge roar from the away fans who had seen Simpson's era begin with a win - the club's first in eight outings.



Carlisle United - Patrick (5)



Leyton Orient - Beckles (10), Archibald (48 & 50)

Carlisle United - Armer (52), Riley (55), Whelan (69), Simeu (76)



Leyton Orient - Vigouroux, Wood, Smith, Archibald, Khan, Drinan (Nouble 77), Pratley (c), Beckles, Kyprianou (Sotiriou 60), Coleman (Young 77), Ray. Subs - Byrne (gk), Thompson, Ogie, Brown.

Carlisle United - Howard, Riley, Feeney, Simeu, Mellish, Armer, Gibson, Guy (c), Devitt (Whelan 60), Patrick (Omotoye 77), Dennis (Sho-Silva 80). Subs - Breeze (gk), Alessandra, Roberts, Windsor.


Match officials

Referee - Carl Boyeson
Assistant Referee 1 - Robert Dabbs
Assistant Referee 2 - Adrian Tranter
Fourth Official - Greg Read
Observer - Robert Desmond


Attendance - 5,272 (700)

Read Time: 7 mins