Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 0 Gills

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

27 August 2022

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 0 Gills

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

27 August 2022

The Blues were back at Brunton Park on Saturday afternoon for a home game against Gillingham.

And manager Paul Simpson made two changes to last weekend's Stevenage line-up with fit again Owen Moxon back into his regular midfield berth.

Experienced defender Paul Huntington was in at the heart of the back line for his first start after an impressive outing at the Lamex last weekend.

Jayden Harris moved to the bench, with Morgan Feeney also in the 18 following his absence with a heel problem.

The Gills won an early corner when Moxon put a cross from Tutonda behind, but that was dealt with at the back stick by Whelan and Mellish.

Good work from Dennis at the other end saw him return a flick from Back for the same player to cross. Patrick met it 10-yards out, but his header lacked conviction and it dropped well wide of the target.

Huntington had to jump to cut-out a clipped pass to Mandron inside the home box, with both sides looking to find a way through.

Dennis tried his luck from 30-yards on 15 minutes when he spun on a pass from the right flank. It had fizz, but it bent its way into the Waterworks End.

There was concern when Callum Guy stayed on the floor after a midfield challenge moments later, but he returned to the action after a brief period of treatment.

Huntington had to be on his toes to stop a low pass from Alexander from making its way to Mandron as the visitors worked the ball from left to right, and Holy plucked a shot from Baggott out of the air in what was a good spell from the Gills.

Moxon tried to get things going with a flighted ball over the top from the halfway line, and the initial touch from Dennis was exquisite. He went to drag it past the retereating Max Ehmer but it stuck on a stud and bobbled behind.

Tenacity from Gibson and Back turned possession over on the edge of the area and Patrick showed with his back to goal. A backheel sent it onwards to Dennis, but it was difficult to control and the move was closed down.

Another flighted clip over the top from O'Keefe caused Back to scamper, and he got just high enough to make meaningful contact. His retreating header looped past the angle of Holy's post and bar.

Dennis was superb again when he gathered a difficult pass out of the sky before spotting Gibson in space. The pull back invited a shot, but that was blocked. Back was there in support but he got his angles wrong on the delivery from wide and it settled on the roof of the net.

Alexander blazed wide as the clock ticked towards the break, after Green had drifted into space, and Tutonda put one straight at Holy after Mandron had fed it his way, with neither side on top at the end of the first 45 minutes.

A deft touch from Dennis sent Gibson on a run as the second half got under way, and his cross had to be put behind by Wright. The outswinger from Moxon was guided to safety.

Vision from Huntington sparked an excellent attack when he floated a wonderful pass to Back who was in space wide on the right. His cushioned header found Gibson, and an instant cut back was shepherded away. 

United came again with Back on the wriggle, and there were loud appeals for a penalty when the wing back was toppled by Tutonda, who somehow escaped a second yellow card. 

The delivery from Gibson was recycled, with Dennis nodding it into the deck, and Huntington's net-bound header was clawed off the line by Morris. 

The pressure was maintained with Armer ghosting in at the far post after a Gibson slider had been scuffed away from Patrick. He kept it low but a white shirt got there first.

Visiting boss Neil Harris clearly agreed that his left back was lucky to have survived an early bath, for that challenge on Back, when he replaced him with Law at the earliest opportunity.

But the increased United activity was made to count when Armer and Patrick combined to release Mellish, after Gibson had been on a mesmerising run. The wide man caused chaos, as did Jon Mellish as he bore down on goal before helping to bundle the ball over the line on the slide at a tight angle.

Holy dealt with crosses into the area as Gillingham misfired up front, and the big stopper was off his line smartly to take a neat pass away from Kashket as he looked to mark his arrival on the pitch with a goal.

Gibson and O'Keefe were booked for an altercation midway through the half, and Walker missed a great chance to level things up when a dipper came his way just 10-yards out. He tickled at the connection and it went well wide.

Armer and Feeney had to back each other up when Kashket crossed. It came off the left-back's instep and fell for his team mate to swipe upwards and long.

Carlisle had a late corner to defend deep into time added on, but they closed the door without even allowing a delivery to be made.

And they saw the clock down professionally to claim their clean sheet and their three points. 


Match Sponsor - Irthing Developments
Click HERE to visit the official Irthing Developments website.
Match Ball Sponsor - RTU Optical
Click HERE to learn more about RTU Optical.
Carlisle United - Mellish (55)
Carlisle United - Gibson (70)
Gillingham - Tutonda (29), O'Keefe (70)
Carlisle United - Holy, Whelan (c), Huntington (Feeney 72), Mellish, Back, Gibson, Guy, Moxon (Hilton 77), Armer (Idehen 90), Dennis, Patrick (Harris 77). Subs - Kelly (gk), Devitt, Stretton.
Gillingham - Morris, Alexander (Kashket 64), Tutonda (Law 51), Wright, Ehmer, O'Keefe, Mandron (Walker 64), Reeves, Adelakun (MacDonald 77), Green, Baggott. Subs - Turner (gk), Lee, Carter.
Match officials
Referee - Marc Edwards
Assistant Referee 1 - Darren Williams
Assistant Referee 2 - Ivan Stankovic
Fourth Official - David Avent
Observer - Eddie Ilderton
Attendance - 5,261 (237)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account