Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

CUMBERLAND CUP: United 7 - 0 Langwathby

Report from the first round game

21 September 2021

United kicked off their Cumberland Cup campaign with a home game against Langwathby United - and a huge thank you goes to Penrith AFC for hosting the game at Frenchfield Park.

The Blues had their under-18 side out for the fixture, a game which kicked off bathed in glorious late summer sunshine and ended with an Autumn chill in the air.

United hit the post early in the game when Kilsby floated a ball into the box. Hardy got there with a header, but the offside flag went up as the ball struck the base of the woodwork.

Mason Hardy was close again when he picked up a pass from Watt on the edge of the area. He put his boot through it but it dipped over the bar.

It was all about Carlisle and Dan Hill did well to keep his footing as he made his way into the box. A stinger was palmed past the target by a dive and a touch from Hardcastle.

A break on 15 minutes from the away side put Brough into an interesting position. He looked up and went for it from 35-yards, but his effort lacked trajectory and Simons scooped it up.

It was a good spell for the visitors and a foul on McKie earned a free kick on the left hand angle of the box. James Farmer beat the wall but it whistled into the side netting.

The Blues took the lead midway through the half when Charlie Watt captured a fizzed pass in his stride. He took a step and left Hardcastle with no chance as he tucked it away.

More good midfield play released Hill as Carlisle kept their foot on the pedal, but his 25-yard thunderbolt bent past the nets.

The busy Mat Hardcastle had to be at his best on the half hour when Watt sent a 28-yard free kick over the wall. It dipped late and the keeper went long to tip it wide.

And the Langwathby glovesman was superb again between the sticks as Hardy did everything right when he steadied himself before letting fly from the penalty spot area. It was heading for the roof of the net but the agile stopper somehow got there to divert it over the bar.

The lead was doubled by that man Watt when he took charge of a free kick from a very tight angle. He kept it low and he somehow got it past the defence and into the back of the net.

Carlisle made it three just before the break when Bell crossed from the left. Watt dummied and that left Dan Hill in acres of space. He showed a calm head as he passed it into the bottom corner.

Langwathby sent a warning shot across the bows that here was still work to do for the hosts when a training ground free kick routine saw the ball go wide before a looped delivery caused all kinds of problems. Simons saved twice from snapshots and there was real relief when the offside flag went up.

A flowing move down the left wing saw Bell pick out Kilsby with a beauty of a pass at the start of the second period. The left back raced on and his low delivery was tidily tapped home from close range by Taylor.

Defender Jack Ellis got himself into the attacking action on the hour when he supported on the right flank. His low ball was met by Taylor but his toe poke took a deflection and hit the advertising hoardings.

But it was a hat-trick for star man Charlie Watt moments later when he showed purpose, power and pace as he angled his way into the box. He had just one thing in mind and the accuracy of the effort made it a certainty.

The goal of the night was all about individual skill as Watt picked the ball up in the centre circle. He dragged it back, spun on a sixpence, went on a run that left four in his wake, and then had the presence of mind to clip it past Hardcastle and over the line via the inside of the post.

Carlisle came again as Nugent and Hill both found the woodwork, from a shot and a header respectively, and then Hill was denied on three quickfire occasions when he had one blocked, one cleared off the line and a third effort saved.

Hill eventually got his second of the night, from the spot, after he was chopped down by French. He had to take the spot kick twice having struck the first one before the referee had blown his whistle.

United were reduced to ten men when Bell picked up a cut on his face, but that didn't stop Nugent from letting fly late in the day. Hardcastle pulled off another fine two-handed save.

Garvey hit the post on 90 minutes when he latched on to a cut back from Taylor, but it was a good night's work from both sides that was appreciated by the sizeable crowd.



Carlisle United - Watt (21, 36, 63, 67), Hill (41, 81 pen), Taylor (49)



Carlisle United - Simons, Potts, Ellis, Gordon, Kilsby, Carr (Nugent 46), Hill, Taylor, Hardy (Garvey 46), Watt, Bell. Subs - Boyd, Breeze.

Langwathby United - Hardcastle, Hesser, Slater (Norman 58), Farmer, Holmes, Wilson, Drinkald, Wallace (French 63), Brough, Raine, McKie, Scott. Subs - Davis, Ewbank.


Referee - Scott Henry
Assistants - B Whitfield and B Pannone


Attendance - 276

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account