Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Orient 2 - 3 United

From the Saturday afternoon away game

1 May 2021

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Orient 2 - 3 United

From the Saturday afternoon away game

1 May 2021

Manager Chris Beech made two changes from the Tuesday night outing for the final away game of the season at the Breyer Group Stadium.

Lewis Alessandra and Omari Patrick were in for Jon Mellish and the injured Rhys Bennett.

The Blues weren't mathematically ruled out of play-off contention, but they went into the game knowing that a raft of results needed to go their way, as well as a goal difference swing of some 10 goals.

Orient were a goal up with just three minutes on the clock when a ball over the top bounced awkwardly in front of Anderton. Wilkinson was on the move and he got a toe on it that left him with just Norman to beat. His connection wasn't the cleanest, but it had enough on it to take it over the line.

Carlisle got forward in response and a run of corners from Guy brought a test for the home defence. The first outswinger pinged around before a cross was blocked, and the second delivery was met on the volley by Hayden, 14-yards out, but he leaned back and it blazed over the bar.

The O's thought they'd doubled their lead just before the quarter hour when McAnuff combined with Brophy for the latter to make his way into the box. The pull back found Wilkinson unmarked, close to the penalty spot, and he was ready to celebrate as he guided the ball at the nets. Nick Anderton had other ideas as he threw a boot out to make a fantatsic goal-saving clearance on the line.

United were awarded a penalty on 18 minutes when Zanzala pressed high. Dan Happe was caught in two minds, and he was duly robbed of possession as the striker set off towards the target. A tangle of legs was followed by a whistle, but a low, underhit spot kick from Zanzala was easy for Vigouroux to smother.

The afternoon got worse for Zanzala moments later when he pulled up needing treatment. Physio Ross Goodwin signalled that a change was needed, and Jon Mellish quickly stripped off.

A second penalty of the day went the way of the home side when Wilkinson beat the offside trap. Norman was off his line, and the striker fell dramatically as the pair clashed, bringing a toot from the official. Kemp claimed it, and he struck it well after he'd set it down at 12-yards out, but Norman atoned with a full length and extremely impressive two-handed save.

Alessandra had pulled wide on the left flank after the substitution and he received a raking crossfield pass from Guy on his chest. He stepped inside his marker and shot from the angle of the area, but it was always heading wide.

Carlisle looked to up the pace and a cross from Guy flashed across the face of goal as Patrick tried to make up ground.

A shot from Mellish was then partially blocked by Happe, and Alsessandra was tripped as he tried to recover it. Guy rolled the set piece to Riley, who was in space, but his shot flew high from the moment it left his instep.

The Cumbrians were back on terms just before half time when Patrick won his side a corner. Guy sent it long, Hayden nodded it back towards the near post, and Kayode did well to guide it into a dangerous area. Jon Mellish was there with goal number 16 of the season when he ripped a difficult to execute volley into the top corner from close-range.

Keeper Lawrence Vigouroux was needed again when Patrick picked the ball up in acres of space. He dropped a shoulder as a challenge came in and he aimed it low. The stopper watched it all the way.

There was a scramble in the O's box in time added on for the half when Riley clipped it in from wide. Happe cleared it, and there was a wobble at the other end when an underhit backpass from Hayden was hoovered up by Kemp. He took it round the advancing keeper and buried it, to restore the one-goal advantage.

Carlisle were denied an equaliser by the woodwork with the last attack of the first period. Kayode was on the sprint as he pulled to the left, and it eventually came to Alessandra, who kept his 25-yarder on the grass. A block went towards the Rotherham-loanee, who was just inside the box, and he appeared to have done everything right as he bent it at the far corner. It smacked against the base of the post and Orient lived to breathe again.

The first action of the second half came on 50 minutes when Riley found himself in yards of space and with time on his hands, just over 30-yards out. He put venom in a wicked, stinging drive but it clipped the top of the bar and ricocheted into the stands.

Carlisle were awarded their second penalty of the afternoon when a passing move culminated with Guy slipping it through to Alessandra. His wicked turn earned him a clip on the heel from McAnuff, and the third spot kick of the encounter was subsequently awarded. Alessandra dusted himself off and he left Vigouruoux with no chance as he found the bottom corner to register his ninth of the campaign.

Mellish and Patrick both sent efforts wide as the Blues pushed for a third, and Kayode clipped a cross from Armer past the far post as the away side started to look the more likely. 

Striker Lewis Alessandra lifted another one high after Mellish and Walker had fashioned a break from deep, but Norman was in action at the other end when Orient carved a way through. Wilkinson trapped it, then found his laces as he guided it through legs. A strong hand from the keeper took it away from the roof of the net.

A 28-yard free kick from Guy took a touch off the wall, making the job easier for Vigouroux, and Orient found themsleves with a similar situation when they burst out in numbers. Wilkinson hit his into the wall and Cisse put the rebound way too high. 

Kayode's long throw presented Walker with an opening as it was cushioned by Hayden. It was a difficult chance, as it trundled away from the substitute, but he was disappointed when he skewed the 14-yarder into the sky.

Another patient passing move from the blue shirts saw Tanner and Alessandra switch play from right to left. Armer did well to send it long, but the home side had regrouped and they saw it away.

Hayden popped a header from a Guy free kick at the target as the clock ticked down, and Johnson was close when Widdowson fizzed a cross for the mobile forward to touch.

He missed it completely, and he was made to rue the moment when Alessandra lost his marker to bring Tanner into play deep inside the home half. The right back was cool, and calm, and he made no mistake as he emphatically won the game for the Blues with an ice crisp finish.



Leyton Orient - Wilkinson (3), Kemp (45+3)

Carlisle United - Mellish (42), Alessandra (54 pen), Tanner (90)



Leyton Orient - Happe (18), Clay (89), Dennis (90)

Carlisle United - Walker (80), Mellish (89)



Leyton Orient - Vigouroux, Widdowson, Cisse, Happe, McAnuff (c) (Clay 63), Wilkinson, Kemp, Brophy, Dennis (Johnson 63), Akinola, Turley (Ling 46). Subs - Sargeant (gk), Sotiriou, Freeman, Abrahams, Johnson.

Carlisle United - Norman, Tanner, Hayden, Anderton (c), Armer, Riley, Guy, Patrick (Walker 63 (Scott 86)), Alessandra, Zanzala (Mellish 22), Kayode. Subs - Farman (gk), Devine, Charters, Dixon.


Match officials

Referee - Sam Allison
Assistant Referee 1 - Louis Marks
Assistant Referee 2 - Paul Evans
Fourth Official - Garry Maskell
Observer - Colin Hills


Attendance - BCD

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account