Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Shrimps 3 - 1 United

From the Morecambe away game

6 March 2021

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Shrimps 3 - 1 United

From the Morecambe away game

6 March 2021

United made the short hop to Morecambe on Saturday afternoon for their latest League Two fixture.

The Blues were without midfielders Callum Guy (birth of child) and Brennan Dickenson (knock) which meant a return to the starting action for Lewis Alessandra and Omari Patrick

United started well as they camped near the right hand corner flag with Kayode and Alessandra looking to pick a way through. Joe Riley was disappointed to sweep a shot over the bar from 19-yards when a touch came his way at the end of the prolonged spell.

Carlisle pressed high through the opening 10 minutes, but the Shrimps earned a corner when a hopeful ball over the top was guided behind by Hayden. That was well defended, and Lavelle was booked as he chopped Kayode to the floor with the big striker setting off on a break.

Defender Aaron Hayden did well from the set piece delivery as he chested it down before pulling wide. He beat his man, and his delivery on the run was superb. Lavelle made amends by heading it clear.

Furman sent a beauty of a corner in for Hayden to challenge for moments later but there was enough of a touch from Davis to take the moment away. Josh Kayode tumbled to the floor as the ball was cleared and he had to be replaced by Gime Toure as he limped from the pitch.

A long throw from Alessandra caused problems as Furman nodded it back into the box. Toure challenged but Letheren got there to claim it just in the nick of time.

Captain Nick Anderton had a 24-yard free kick charged down as the Blues continued to dominate, but the Shrimps had their first shot in anger on 28 minutes when Mendes Gomes found a through ball for O'Sullivan. The winger was thwarted by Farman as he dived full length to clip it onto the bar.

Great footwork from Furman saw him keep it under control in a tight spot and he appeared to have done enough as he sent Patrick through. But the shot ricocheted and Morecambe broke at pace as they crafted an opening when Gibson overlapped. The ball was rifled into the middle and Aaron Wildig marshalled it over the line from close range.

Home tails were up and the lead was doubled five minutes later when a corner was flicked on by Lavelle. Diagouraga was unmarked at the back stick and he was able to pick his spot with a close-range header.

Toure had a half chance to get his side back in it just before the break when Furman lofted a header towards Alessandra. His connection sent it bouncing towards the forward but he scuffed his volley and it was easy for Letheren to claim.

The away side had another scare in time added on for the half when a misplaced header towards Farman from Hayden was pounced on by Stockton. He took it round the keeper but it was a heavy poke, and the angle became too tight for the finish.

A header from Hayden from a Furman corner zipped wide as the Blues looked to make an impact in the five minutes of time added, but they went into the tunnel knowing that they had a job to do if they were to get something from the game.

Ozzy Zanzala was on for George Tanner at the start of the second period with Joe Riley moved to the right back position.

Carlisle mounted a good attack when Toure spun with the ball at his feet before lifting it into the box. Zanzala tussled for it but it was just too far in front of him.

A sliced volley from Mendes Gomes brought an end to a flurry of deliveries from O'Sullivan for the Shrimps, but Farman had to go fill length to parry a top corner bound header from Songo'o when he met a dipping free kick on the full.

United were undone on 53 minutes when Wildig beat the offside trap to bear down on goal. Cole Stockton was up in support and it was on a plate for him to gobble up and finish off as it came his way, just four yards out.

The Blue shirts looked to probe, with Toure beaten to a header and Zanzala checked when he tried to feed off a through ball, and there was more frustration for the visitors when Patrick put a shot from distance into the advertising hoardings.

A one-two between Gibson and Wildig saw the former blaze over from an angle when he had options waiting for the cut back, and a tense period of few chances was punctuated at the other end when an effort from Zanzala was charged down.

United were awarded a free kick inside the area in bizarre circumstances when the keeper picked the ball up after an indirect free kick had been touched. Confusion reigned as Anderton rolled it short, with Alessandra back on his heels, and the opportunity to shoot was missed.

Defender Aaron Hayden gave his side late hope when he nodded a Furman corner into the roof of the net with just over 10 minutes left to play, and Hayden was a whisker away from making things really interesting when he met a decent delivery from Walker on the rise. Letheren was beaten but it dropped the wrong side of the upright.

Morecambe stayed tight as they kept the away team at bay and they saw the game through to take their first ever home league victory over the Cumbrians.



Morecambe - Wildig (32), Diagouraga (37), Stockton (53)

Carlisle United - Hayden (79)



Morecambe - Lavelle (12), Mellor (45)

Carlisle United - Alessandra (39)



Morecambe - Letheren, Mellor, Lavelle (c), Davis, Diagouraga, Stcokton, Wildig (Denny 90), Mendes Gomes (Slew 79), O'Sullivan, Gibson, Songo'o. Subs - Halstead (gk), Hendrie, Pringle, McAlinden, Cooney.

Carlisle United - Farman, Tanner (Zanzala 46), Hayden, McDonald, Anderton (c), Riley, Furman, Mellish (Charters 69), Alessandra, Kayode (Toure 17), Patrick (Walker 76). Subs - Norman (gk), Armer, Bennett.


Match officials

Referee - Sam Allison
Assistant Referee 1 - Matthew Smith
Assistant Referee 2 - Anthony Moore
Fourth Official - Martin Coy
Observer - Russell Tiffin


Attendance - BCD

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account