Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FRIENDLY: United 3 - 2 Everton U23

Tuesday afternoon home game for the Blues x 2

27 July 2021

United hosted the Everton side U23 behind-closed-doors on Tuesday afternoon at Brunton Park.

The game started at a bright pace with United on the front foot as they earned an early corner. Guy picked out Hayden from the delivery but his 12-yard header flashed past the post.

It was the Toffees who drew first blood when they broke at pace down the right. The initial delivery was cleared but the rebound was swept into the roof of the net.

Good work from Joe Riley brought the keeper off the line to punch as it dropped into a dangerous area. Mellish kept it alive but it was cleared after an almighty scramble.

Carlisle stayed forward and another teasing corner from Guy found Hayden pulling into a gap at the back stick. He shielded it, before picking out Alessandra on the edge of the area. The keeper was beaten with a low curler but it was just an inch off target.

The passes started to find their mark for the home side and Riley and Mellish used Armer to work a quick route forward. Guy showed for it and his long range thunderbolt needed to be gathered up. 

Zach Clough then took charge of a 23-yard free kick and the rooted stopper was relieved to see it smash back off the post.

Cumbrian pressure was finally made to tell on 20 minutes when Abrahams stretched to execute a wonderful cross. Clough volleyed with power, but it struck the bar and bounced away from the six-yard box. Jon Mellish was alert and composed as he got onto the end of it to guide it over the line.

The game became tight ahead of the break, with chances at a premium, but David Unsworth's young team were almost back in front at the start of the second period when a looped cross evaded Norman. It hit the inside of the post and Armer helped it on its way.

Alessandra and Tanner linked up as United got going again, but a timely clearance prevented Clough from stabbing it home.

Guy then connected with another fierce effort from distance, but the keeper dropped low to pick it up.

A deflected 19-yard free kick skimmed past the Carlisle nets, but the home side were undone from the resulting corner as it pinged around unhindered by a blue shirt inside the area. It was eventually bundled over the line.

Carlisle started to reassert themselves and an Alessandra snapshot needed a deflection to make things easy for the wrong-footed glovesman.

The equaliser came after Charters and Toure surged forward at pace, and Lewis Bell was with them in acres of space. Bearing down on the goal he unleashed a drive which touched a thigh and whistled over the line.

Moments later and there was a collective 'wow' when Manny Mampala had just one thing in mind. He dropped a shoulder and scored a stunner as he beat his man before bending his shot into the top corner.



Carlisle United - Norman (Jensen 63), Tanner (Carr 77), Hayden (Kilsby 63), Whelan (Charters 63), Armer (Ellis 63), Riley (Dixon 63), Guy (c) (Bell 63), Mellish (Dickenson 46), Clough (Mampala 63), Abrahams (Toure 46), Alessandra (Fishburn 77). Sub - Simons.



Carlisle United - Mellish (20), Bell (83), Mampala (84)

Everton U23 - (7 & 66)


Referee - Anthony Backhouse
Assistant - Michael Studholme
Assistant - Matthew Rogers

Advertisement block