Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 3 - 3 Pools (United win 4-3 on pens)

Report from the Papa John's Trophy group game

31 August 2021

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 3 - 3 Pools (United win 4-3 on pens)

Report from the Papa John's Trophy group game

31 August 2021

United and Hartlepool came together for the second time in the space of just four days - this time in the group stages of the Papa John's Trophy competition.

Danny Devine was back in the fold having returned to full fitness, and he was in a back four with Morgan Feeney, Jon Mellish and Jack Armer.

The game kicked off at a fast pace and alertness from Young saw him close the space on keeper Jon Mitchell as he hesitated to clear a backpass. A hurried kick from the flustered stopper brought a quick throw and a cross from Dickenson, which was recycled by Mampala. He used Dixon, and a clipped delivery from the midfielder was just an inch too far in front of Young as he threw himself at it.

Pools responded with a move down the right flank which saw Ogle find room. His whipped pass evaded Cullen, but Daly was unmarked at the back stick. He struggled to get it under control and Jensen did well to scamper out to make a vital block.

The corner was taken quickly, and Cullen moved to the edge of the area to help out. His one-two with Ferguson gave him a chance to clip it to Daly, and he returned the favour with a floated delivery. Cullen nodded it as it came his way but it was always heading wide.

Carlisle responded with a neat move which saw Mampala burst into the opposition half. Alessandra asked for it, and his low 19-yard thumper had to be put behind for a corner. That was gobbled up by Mitchell, but the Cumbrians were on the attack again as Dickenson won another corner with a second marauding run.

He took the set piece himself and Taylor Charters claimed his first ever senior goal as he put enough on the ball, possibly with his shoulder, to send it over the line.

Wide man Dickenson was an excellent outlet and he twice found the timing to meet a crossfield pass and surge on. Both crosses had venom but the away side did their defensive duties well.

Pools were back on terms on 18 minutes when a precise through ball from Molyneux found Daly, who had beaten the offside trap. His first touch brought the ball under control, some 10-yards out, and he left Jensen with no chance as he drilled it into the roof of the net.

A long throw from Alessandra at the other end brought a flick from Young, and Armer was there to volley as it ricocheted his way. Odusina did well to block, and Ferguson hooked it onwards out of the path of danger.

The Blues kept working hard and they worked the ball well from left to right with Alessandra and Mampala looking to combine. Charters pulled off a shoulder but his long range drive was deflected wide. 

United thought they'd regained the lead on 27 minutes when Dickenson took charge of a wide set piece, after Alessandra had been chopped to the floor. The outswinger was superb and Armer was disappointed to see his header flash over the target.

More good stuff from Carlisle saw Devine and Mampala link up before the latter guided a great pass into the mix. It was headed high, and Alessandra was there to volley on the edge of the area. It hit a body and spun well wide.

A Goodwin header from a Molyneux cross had home hearts in mouths ahead of the break, but Jensen judged it well and he scampered back to gather it in.

Villan Brad Young had half a sight on the stroke of half time after Dickenson had charged down a clearance. The young forward dropped a shoulder when Mampala played him through but the slightest of touches from Odusina made Mitchell's save easier than it otherwise would have been.

Carlisle attacked the Warwick in the second period and they built up a spell of early pressure as they moved the ball from left to right. 

Pools eased off the valves with a break from Ferguson which earned his side a corner. Hendrie was up to meet it and a crunching header swirled just past the upright.

The Blues had a real chance at the other end when Young showed great composure as he allowed the ball to skip over his shoulder as he ran towards the box. An instinctive cross on the run found Mampala, but his volley, at a tight angle, was scuffed and he could only watch in anguish as it stuck under his boot before harmlessly heading behind.

United regained the lead just before the hour mark when Alessandra dropped a wonderful ball into the penalty area. Manny Mampala was on the move and he bent his neck to guide his header into the waiting net, becoming a second player on the night to register his first strike for the club.

Hartlepool looked for a response and Smith somehow wrapped his boot round the ball to send it high and into the area. Substitute Tyler Burey was on his own but he jumped late and sent his close-range header into the side netting.

Play became spread, as both sides attacked, and the next clean opening came for Charters after Mampala had intercepted a poor pass from Ogle. Abrahams sent it back to Charters, who had continued his run, but he volleyed high as he broke through the lines.

Mellish was next to have a go from distance, but the third goal for the hosts came on 78 minutes after Abrahams started a move on the halfway line when he battled for possession. He came away with it, and he used Clough as a bounce board as he skipped away with it at his feet. With just Mitchell to beat he drew the stopper before rattling his third of the season into the net.

Pools gave themselves an immediate lifeline when Olomola held play up with his back to goal. Molyneux wanted it, and he smashed an unstoppable effort into the top corner as he swept his left boot through the 18-yard shot.

The visitors were awarded a penalty with two minutes of normal time left to go when Mellish slid in to try to stop Molyneux from breaking clear. A topple was followed by an immediate whistle, and former-Blue Olufela Olomola made no mistake as he picked his spot from the dead ball kick.



Carlisle United - Charters (11), Mampala (59), Abrahams (78)

Hartlepool United - Daly (18), Molyneux (81), Olomola (89 pen)


Burey - low at keeper's left, saved by Jensen - United 0 - 0 Pools

Clough - straight down the middle - United 1 - 0 Pools

Daly - sent keeper the wrong way - United 1 - 1 Pools

Abrahams - keeper dived right, saved - United 1 - 1 Pools

Olomola - sent Jensen right, struck left - United 1 - 2 Pools

Young - a skip, a drag, keeper got fingers to it, went in - United 2 - 2 Pools

Crawford - Jensen dived left, great save - United 2 - 2 Pools

Armer - drilled a rasper into the roof of the net - United 3 - 2 Pools

Molyneux - cool finish - United 3 - 3 Pools

Charters - thundered in, another great finish - United 4 - 3 Pools



Carlisle United - Mampala (67)

Hartlepool United - Daly (55)



Carlisle United - Jensen, Devine (Riley 71), Feeney (c from 60), Mellish, Armer, Dixon, Charters, Alessandra (c) (Abrahams 60), Mampala, Young, Dickenson (Clough 60). Subs - Simons (gk), McDonald, Guy, Bell. 

Hartlepool United - Mitchell, Ferguson (Crawford 79), Odusina, Cullen (Burey 62), Molyneux, Goodwin (Olomola 62), Smith (c), Ogle, Hendrie, Daly, Lawlor. Subs - Killip (gk), Shelton, Featherstone, Byrne, Crawford.


Match officials

Referee - James Bell
Assistant Referee 1 - Paul Graham
Assistant Referee 2 - Ivan Stankovic
Fourth Official - Helen Conley
Observer - Jeff Ward


Attendance - 1,392 (120)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account