Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Southend 0 - 2 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

3 April 2021

United made the long trip into Essex with an unchanged starting line-up from Tuesday night's home victory over Crawley.

A minute of silence was held before kick off for Yeovil captain Lewis Collins, who sadly passed away during the week, and the players also took the knee ahead of the first touch of the ball.

Left back Tom Clifford executed an excellent challenge early in the game when Patrick threatened to break clear when he surged into the box. The defender lunged and hooked it off the toes of the attacker just as he was about to shoot. 

A ball from deep followed from the away team and Hobson was relieved to see his touch take the cross beyond the far post.

Carlisle came again when Riley picked it up in midfield before spreading it to Armer. He had two attempts at putting it into the mix, with the first one cleared and sent back his way. The second came tamely off McCormack's jump and Oxley was able to gather it in.

More good approach work gave Zanzala space on the angle of the box and he went for the bottom corner as he released a shot on the turn. Oxley dived but he pulled his hand away and allowed it to drift by.

Striker Ozzy Zanzala was there again in the next attack and he bagged his fourth of the season in some style when he expertly controlled a ball forward from Hayden. He had room, which he exploited, and Oxley could do nothing as a drilled effort on the run ripped into the bottom corner.

The game was played mostly in midfield as United dictated the pace and tempo, and experienced campaigner Alan McCormack had to leave the field of play as he went down clutching his calf 10 minutes before the break. Kyle Taylor was on to replace him.

Southend were given a potential lifeline on 37 minutes when Akinola was chopped to the floor by Guy, just as he stepped into the area. The striker placed the ball on the spot, but his bizarre stuttering run-up gave keeper Paul Farman the opportunity to weigh the angles up. He went the right way, down to his left, and completed a very good save.

The Shrimpers kept going ahead of the break and a hooked pass for Hackett-Fairchild brought Farman off his line. The big front man got there first but he lost his balance and United were able to regroup.

An outswinging Clifford free kick from the left flank was cleared as far as Taylor as the hosts relied on set pieces, but Armer held his position to make a vital block as the midfielder tried to wind a way through. 

And the half closed with a cross from Clifford that was met by Cordner on the jump. His header sailed high and it dropped harmlessly behind for a goal kick.

The second half took a while to get going, but a run from Nathaniel-George invited Clifford to overlap. His delivery went deep, and Akinola was pulled up for handball as the ball was recovered.

There was half a chance for United from a Riley long throw as it popped awkwardly in the area. It was cleared, but the orange shirts showed first with the ball being lobbed towards Mellish. His initial cushion was followed by a fierce volley, but Oxley had covered the angles and he beat it away.

A Carlisle break saw Zanzala use his toe to turn his man on the halfway line. Pace and strength took him into the box, but his shot was charged down. 

An offside flag stopped celebrations from Akinola at the other end when he met a curling Clifford free kick. His miscued volley went over the line, but the flag had been raised for some amount of time.

Southend had a spell where corners and throws entered the box, but the visitors were never troubled as the deliveries lacked quality.

Substitute Gime Toure got to a clipped Mellish cross after good work from Alessandra had caused an overload, with United edging back on top, but it lacked power and Oxley was able to sweep it up.

The away points were wrapped up when Alessandra lost the ball, then immediately won it back. He spotted Toure in close attendance, with a deft reverse pass, and the forward didn't disappoint as he set himself before rattling an unstoppable effort beyond the dive of the keeper.

A fizzed cross from Tanner came in the next attack, and it had to be guided behind as Toure arrived late on the hunt again. 

The Cumbrians almost signed off with a fantastic goal as Alessandra fed it to Walker on the 18-yard line. His back heel took everyone out of the game, but Alessandra's follow-up shot was thwarted when Hobson got there just in the nick of time.



Carlisle United - Zanzala (17), Toure (79)



Southend United - Taylor (38)

Carlisle United - McDonald (31)



Southend United - Oxley, McCormack (Taylor 35), Hobson, Cordner, Akinola (Goodship 74), Clifford, Hackett-Fairchild, Acquah (Holmes 59), Nathaniel-George, Demetriou (c) (Bwomono 74), Ferguson (Mellis 74). Subs - Seaden (gk), Halford.

Carlisle United - Farman, Tanner, Hayden (c), McDonald, Armer, Riley, Guy, Mellish (Anderton 88), Alessandra, Zanzala (Walker 80), Patrick (Toure 74). Subs - Norman (gk), Charters, Furman, Scott.


Match officials

Referee - Alan Young
Assistant Referee 1 - Louis Marks
Assistant Referee 2 - Andy Bennett
Fourth Official - Matthew Lee
Observer - Mick Russell
Coach - Paul Taylor


Attendance - BCD

Advertisement block