Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Newport 0 - 0 United

Report from the Tuesday night game

13 April 2021

Midweek took United to Rodney Parade to face Newport County in the latest of the rearranged fixtures which have left the Blues with a packed itinerary.

The versatile Danny Devine was back into the starting eleven, with right back George Tanner taking a place on the bench. That was the only change from the starters at Barrow.

Newport attacked early with a long ball forward and Maynard took it on his chest with his back to goal. 22-yards out he tried his luck, but he couldn't keep it down.

Both teams tackled hard and kept it tight through the opening 10 minutes, but a clip forward from Lewis found Taylor on the rise. His cushioned nod down was struck by Maynard on the edge of the area, but Hayden closed in quickly.

United responded with a neat move which saw Armer find space on the left. He picked out Zanzala, and the striker looked for a shot as two defenders converged. It had power but Townsend dived to save it.

The Exiles looked to use the right wing as they pushed on in numbers and Shephard put a decent delivery into the mix when he found a yard. Devine got across Collins and that was enough to wrongfoot the forward as he miskicked and completely missed the ball.

It was end-to-end and the away side's turn to attack saw Guy feed Armer on the halfway line. He strode forward to strike it, but it was blocked at source.

United started to gain the upper hand and they came again as Patrick trapped a pass with Lewis at his back. He turned away, and Armer was in space once again as he moved on in support. There was a sight of goal but yet again the amber defensive wall did its job.

A cross into the Newport box from Riley needed to be cleared on 27 minutes but the connection from Labadie invited Guy to volley. He set himself, and he caught it cleanly, sending Townsend on a full length dive. The keeper was relieved to see the 28-yarder skip past his post.

More good work from United took Devine past Lewis as he won a 50:50 challenge. His cross was hooked away, but Riley took the throw for Hayden to contest. His header lacked the direction it needed.

The Cumbrians should have been in front on the half hour when Guy sent a beauty of a free kick into that undefendable zone between the keeper and his back line. Rod McDonald dived to meet it, but he somehow squeezed it past the target as he met it with a diving header from just five-yards out.

It was a good spell for the visitors and Alessandra did well when he recovered a header from Labadie. His cross from the corner flag found Hayden beyond the far stick, and the header was angling at the top corner until Townsend threw out a hand. That took it away from Zanzala, who was waiting on the line, and Patrick was then pulled up for a foul as he tried to win it back.

United had a goal chalked off for a foul on 40 minutes when Mellish and Alessandra opened up a gap for Armer to cross. The troublesome Zanzala was up with the keeper, but the referee blew as the net bugled when he indicated that a push had been used to take the stopper off-balance.

Carlisle were the team in the ascendancy and a patient build up was once again orchestrated by Alessandra. Devine arrived at the sprint, and his shot from distance almost became the perfect through ball. Bennett stuck a boot out to stop it just in the nick of time as both Zanzala and Patrick lurked.

Newport went close to making the Blues rue their misses in time added on for the half when Collins bundled his way along a 40-yard run to get into the area. Maynard crossed his path, and the striker was presented with a shooting opportunity, eight-yards out and at the angle of the six-yard area. Farman was off his line to close the space down and to make the much-needed block.

The pace of Patrick caused all kinds of problems with just seconds on the second half clock when he won a tussle of strength in the middle of park before showing a clean pair of heels. He bent his run at the nets but Shephard lunged to make a vital intervention as the trigger was pulled.

It was another very tight period of the game which followed, with no quarter given or received, but it was Carlisle who dominated the territory with the away area rarely troubled. 

But there was a shot from nowhere from Lewis on 60 minutes after a Taylor long throw had been cleared his way. It was a clean connection but it dipped late and bounced harmlessly on the roof of the net.

Another Taylor launch from the touchline found Bennett on the move, but Farman was well placed to pluck the tame header out of the air.

A miscued kick from keeper Towsend was controlled on the chest by Riley 35-yards out as the balance of play nipped and tucked. He checked one way, then ducked back, then popped it to Patrick, who was in space. He drilled it low, but it was dragged well wide.

Zanzala won a corner when he made a direct run into the area, only to be stopped by Collins. The away team regained possession from the clearance, and Patrick had a rasper ricochet wildly and into the area. It spun horribly, and Alessandra had to wait for it to settle before he could lift it over his shoulder to where his team mates were doing their thing. Once again, it just wouldn't settle, and another Patrick steamer was foiled.

The Exiles had half an opening when Taylor crossed, but Labadie swiped a poor attempt wide. Carlisle broke, with Alessandra protecting it inside the area. He fed it for Mellish to turn and strike, and Townsend could only parry as he saw it late. Zanzala was first to react, but he couldn't squeeze it past the challenge from Sheehan. Guy took the corner, but Patrick couldn't keep his instinctive effort on line.

United had another golden opportunity to take the lead on 79 minutes when Patrick showed strength and guile to ghost past his man tight by the touchline. He fizzed it low, and Zanzala stretched to try to get the decisive touch, right in front of the nets. It somehow made its way agonisingly under his boot.

Farman was in action at the other end when substitute Padraig Amond took the ball out of the air on his thigh. His second touch was a dipper of a volley, but the big keeper was across to beat it away.

There was a late scare in time added on when Ellison robbed possession off Devine deep inside visiting territory. He tried to play Amond through, but Farman committed to closing the space. The striker wheeled away to deliver the loose ball, but the defence had recovered to ease the tension.

Demetriou crashed one over the angle of post and bar as the seven minutes of added time were eaten away, when a long throw landed at his feet, and Patrick was thwarted once again when he tried to break through after Guy had floated a pass his way.

But the score sheet remained clean as Carlisle recorded their first 0-0 of the season despite it being a very good and entertaining encounter to watch.



Newport County - Dolan (55)

Carlisle United - Alessandra (24), Mellish (70)



Newport County - Townsend, Lewis, Demetriou, Dolan (Ellison 88), Shephard, Bennett, Labadie (c), Collins, Sheehan, Maynard (Amond 72), Taylor. Subs - King (gk), Longe-King, Ledley, Gambin, Telford.

Carlisle United - Farman, Devine, Hayden (c), McDonald, Armer, Riley, Mellish (Anderton 75), Guy, Patrick, Zanzala (Kayode 88), Alessandra. Subs - Norman (gk), Tanner, Furman, Toure, Walker.


Match Officials

Referee - Lee Swabey
Assistant Referee 1 - Mark Derrien
Assistant Referee 2 - James Vallance
Fourth Official - Ravel Cheosiaua
Observer - Rodger Gifford


Attendance - BCD

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account