Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Yeovil 0 - 0 United

Report from the afternoon away game

4 May 2019

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Yeovil 0 - 0 United

Report from the afternoon away game

4 May 2019

Carlisle United were the first ever football league visitors to Huish Park way back in August 2003 - a day when the newly-promoted Glovers were riding a crest of a wave off the back of a stunning Conference season.

And, on that afternoon, early goals from future Blue Kev Gall set the tone for a 3-0 victory and a 16-year journey which has taken them to the heights of the Championship and some wonderful days at Wembley, to name but just a few of their highlights.

Football has a way of weaving its own stories, and so it was that Carlisle United made the trip into Somerset knowing that they would be Yeovil's last football league fixture as they bow out having managed to scrape together just nine victories from a troubled campaign.

United should have been ahead with just six minutes on the clock when Thomas ripped through the defence with a direct run. His pass beyond the back line found Hope on the slide, but Nelson was off his line quickly to close the gap. The stopper spread himself and made an excellent save, and he was up first to deal with the loose ball.

A long range effort followed from Thomas, as the away side kept the pressure on, but Nelson kept his eye on it as it skipped across the greasy surface. It was all about United and O'Hare was next to find space as he pulled wide on the left. His low cross bent across the face of goal and it was just too far in front of O'Hare. 

Yeovil showed little in the opposition half, and United went close again when O'Hare bounced a short corner off Hope. There was room for a shot but the nippy midfielder was wild and he dragged a weak attempt well wide. 

The right flank was a fruitful avenue and a run from Thomas brought a corner as he was tackled just yards from the goal line. Scougall called for the set piece but his shot, as he dropped a shoulder, was always missing the target.

A great cross from Scougall deserved better as it zipped across the box, but it was cut out just as Liddle set himself to apply a touch. Thomas tried his luck again as he bent his run from the right, but his punt lacked direction and Nelson was able to watch as it bounced harmlessly wide.

The Glovers had half a sight when Duffus pulled off his marker before delivering a cross. Miller had to watch closely as he made a clearance before Dobre could make a mark. Carlisle broke at pace and Scougall almost finished off a move he'd started when he staggered his run to exploit a gap. His shot had Nelson scrambling but it was just the wrong side of the upright. 

United started the second period as they ended the first, on the front foot, and a lovely chip from Scougall found Hope in space at the back stick. His downward header had to be hooked clear as purple shirts converged. 

A trademark run from Thomas saw him come inside and beat his man before going for goal with a driven effort. Nelson was once again in the right place as he bent down to gather it in. 

Carlisle were left to ponder another excellent missed opportunity when Mike Jones floated a beauty of a pass beyond the defence. Hope was onto it in a flash and his first touch left him with just Nelson to beat. The keeper ate up the yards and spread himself to deny the disappointed forward for a second time on the day.

Collin was called into action for the first time on 57 minutes when Yeovil robbed possession deep inside the visiting half. A cross found Dobre in a good area and a looped header had to be guided over the bar. United responded with a quick break, sparked by Scougall, and Liddle was disappointed to see his close-range volley from a Thomas cut back whistle past the target.

The Cumbrians kept asking questions, and Thomas was stopped in his tracks as he beat the offside trap. The resulting corner was nodded down by Gerrard, but a crunching volley from O'Hare was blocked and Yeovil swept it clear. 

Chance after chance was wasted by Carlisle, with Scougall scooping one over when he was picked out by Hope, who had beaten his man with a nice twist as he angled in from the left wing. 

United continued to attack, but Hope and Scougall blazed over in quick succession following what had been good build up play, and there was work for Collin to do at the other end when a cross from Dobre found Pattison in space. His drilled volley had to be gathered on the dive.

A flicked header from Fisher then bounced just past the Carlisle post, as Yeovil grew in confidence, and Collin completed a wonderful double-save as Gray thundered two volleys his way with five minutes left to play. The first save was a stunner, but the second was top class as Collin picked himself up to beat it away.

There was time for one last unbelievable save from Collin, as he somehow held onto a flick from a free kick delivery, but news elsewhere had confirmed that it was others who were scrapping for the last play-off place, whatever had happened at Huish Park.



Yeovil Town - Pattison (24), Gray (88)

Carlisle United - Gerrard (69), Jones (77)



Yeovil Town - Nelson, Mugabi, Sowunmi, Worthington, Gray, Duffus (Fisher 80), Abrahams (Seager 76), Pattison, James, Dobre, Santos (Arquin 69). Subs - Scott Rogers, Ojo, Arnold.

Carlisle United - Collin, Liddle, Gerrard, Parkes, Miller, Scougall, Jones, Slater (Cullen 71), Thomas, O'Hare, Hope. Subs - Gray, Kennedy, Devitt, Glendon, Gillesphey.


Referee - Mr Matthew Donohue

Attendance - 3,418 (358 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account