Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 1 Robins

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

9 March 2019

The Blues were looking to get back to winning ways at Brunton Park on Saturday afternoon as they played host to a resurgent Swindon Town outfit who had lost just two of their last nine outings.

Midfielder Jamie Devitt was back from his three-game suspension, and into the starting line-up, with Kelvin Etuhu the unlucky player to miss out.

Driving rain and strong winds were the order of the day as United kicked off heading towards the blustery Waterworks End.

The teams took a while to get used to the conditions but a one-two from Kyle Bennett got him to the edge of the box. His low shot was blocked by Parkes and it sped behind for a corner. Strong defending saw the ball cleared from that delivery.

United responded with a Devitt free kick from deep which curled into the box. A touch from a defender brought Hope into play but his volley was blocked and deflected wide. Gerrard was up high to meet the corner but he couldn't keep his header down and it spun off into the distance.

The hosts put themselves in front when Devitt picked a superb through ball when he spotted Hope racing along the central channel. A touch from the forward wrong-footed his marker, and a spin was followed by a low drive which curled into the bottom corner via a slight Swindon deflection. The popular front man wheeled away in celebration as he marked the news that he will be staying with the club for another season in style.

The Robins got forward in numbers after their setback and Broadbent forced a save out of Collin as he went for the roof of the net with a set piece header. 

It almost got even better for Hope, and Carlisle, when he found the ball at his feet at the back stick following an excellent piece of build up play. He hesitated just a moment too long and the chance to shoot was gone.

A winding run from O'Hare appeared to have opened things up again but the slightest of prods on the ball from Broadbent left the United man off balance and he couldn't direct his effort at the target.

Broadbent survived what looked to be a strong appeal for handball when he leaned into a cross from Liddle, and the Robins almost capitalised within moments when a scuffed clearance from Parkes went straight to Bennett. He dropped a shoulder and struck it but Collin was well placed to gather. 

The Blues were dealt a blow when Cullen stretched to complete a pass just before the half hour. He fell to the floor clutching his groin area and was quickly replaced by Nathan Thomas.

Swindon were back on terms ahead of the break thanks to a superb free kick from Bennett, following a foul on the edge of the area on Anderson by Liddle. The ball was clipped over the wall, leaving keeper Adam Collin with no chance.

A long range effort from Robinson punctuated a scrappy start to the seocnd period, but it took a huge deflection and looped over the bar. A whipped corner delivery caused problems as Robinson flicked it on, and Collin had to show concentration as Woolery latched onto the half clearance. It skipped off the surface but the stopper gathered it into his midriff on the dive.

More danger came when Conroy used pace to get into the box. His cut back brought a slide from Bennett but he couldn’t find the touch to take it over the line.

Carlisle almost opened things up just past the hour when Thomas fed O'Hare with his back to goal. A deft touch found Hope on the overlap and he raced forward before sliding it back to O'Hare. The young Villa loanee opted not to shoot and he was quickly closed down.

Keeper Adam Collin had to be at this best when the nippy Anderson put his head down to go on a run. He feigned to shoot, which opened a gap, then rifled it low through bodies at the bottom corner. A late dive produced an excellent one-handed stop.

A run of United corners lifted the home side but they were left to look on in disbelief as a dipper from Devitt was met on the full by Gerrard. He'd had to stretch, so he couldn't keep his close range volley on target, and Hope was a whisker away from getting a vital touch as he threw himself at it. 

And Carlisle celebrations were cut short on 75 minutes when a superb inswinging free kick from Devitt was headed into the top corner by Liddle. It appeared to be a great finish until the offside flag went up.

But the improved spell was rewarded when Thomas was sent clean through and into the area. He beat his man and shot low, but a block sent the ball back into the mix. Youngster Callum O'Hare trapped it, moved away from his marker and slotted it home to bag his first goal for the club.

Thomas was denied a late notch when he burst through only to find Vigouroux there to parry his stinging effort, and the Robins were incensed at the other end when they had a penalty appeal turned down when the ball hit Gerrard's arm.

The Blues saw the game out well, as they reclaimed their place in the top seven, and the final whistle was met by rousing applause from the home fans.



Carlisle United - Hope (13), O'Hare (79)

Swindon Town - Bennett (39)



Carlisle United - Liddle (38)

Swindon Town - Carroll (60), Anderson (90)



Carlisle United - Collin, Liddle, Gerrard, Parkes, Grainger, Slater, Devitt (Simpson 85), O'Hare, Scougall (Etuhu 57), Cullen (Thomas 29), Hope. Subs - Gray, Miller, Jones, Grant.

Swindon Town - Vigouroux, Knoyle (Taylor 82), McCourt (Anderson 29), Dunne, Carroll, Woolery (House 81), Conroy, Woolfenden, Broadbent, Robinson, Bennett. Subs - McCormick, Richards, Iandolo, Rose.


Referee - Mr Ben Toner

Attendance - 4,629 (345 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account