Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Newport 2 - 0 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

2 March 2019

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Newport 2 - 0 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

2 March 2019

United went to Rodney Parade with an unchanged side from last weekend's very good performance at Colchester.

Strong work from Azeez and neat footwork from Butler created the first half chance of the day with less than a minute on the clock. Azeez challenged for and won a high bouncing ball wide on the left and Butler took over to deliver high. Collin was off his line quickly to grasp it out of the sky.

The Exiles came again when a long ball forward was flicked on by Azeez. Striker Padraig Amond was onto it quickly but his attempt at a curled shot was blocked by Liddle on the edge of the area.

It was the Blues who should have taken the lead when O'Hare fed a lovely through ball for Hope to chase. The keeper raced off his line to block the shot, but the rebound fell nicely for Cullen, who had arrived late. He went for the bottom corner but a timely touch from O'Brien was enough to divert it just past the upright.

The home side responded with a very good move which found Azeez in a dangerous position on the edge of the box. His poked shot was touched onto the post by an excellent fingertip save from Collin, and the defence recovered quickly to sweep the danger away.

It was a short-lived reprieve for the visitors as a clipped cross from Butler was nodded goalwards by Amond. The dangerous Adebayo Azeez ghosted in at the back stick to stab it into the net at close range.

The hosts looked suddenly confident and Collin was tested again when Matt sent a reverse pass between Gerrard and Liddle. Azeez dropped a shoulder but the United stopper spread himself to make an excellent one-handed save when the thundering attempt came in.

Carlisle were denied an equaliser when Day dropped smartly to save a shot on the swivel from Scougall when he beat the offside trap to go into the 18-yard box. It had power and purpose but it was a decent reaction from the keeper who parried it away before it could trouble the nets.

The corner curled wickedly as it came in to the area and Parkes got there first to send a volley through bodies. Another deflection took it wide, but the officials frustratingly signalled for a goal kick.

Another United chance went begging as Cullen ran onto a long kick forward from Collin. He took a touch and set himself for the shot but he lost his bearings and the effort went high.

Another great opportunity was created for the Blues when Slater picked up a loose ball out wide. He wasted no time at all in getting it across the face of the goal but there was nobody there to apply the finishing touch.

The game became a tight affair through the closing 15 minutes of the first half, but Collin had to be at his best again when Matt burst through from nowhere on the right hand side. A rasper from a tight angle was well dealt with as it dipped low and late.

A toe poke from Matt went high and wide as he got on the end of a free kick delivery from Butler at the start of the second period, and Hope had a shot blocked at the other end after he'd worked space with Grainger. A huge clearance sent Newport on a break, and Willmott crossed early with two in support. Azeez threw his leg at it but it was easy for Collin to gather.

Newport doubled their lead following what had been a long period of stalemate when they caught the Blues by surprise with a short corner routine. Two quick pases brought Sheehan into play and his cross was nodded downwards by Azeez. The predatory Amond stayed alert and he had the simple task of chipping the loose ball into the waiting net.

Captain Danny Grainger had a 28-yard free kick charged down as he sent it low and into the wall, and the same happened to a volley from Bennett at the other end when a corner clearance dropped on his boot.

It was confirmed as a day that definitely wasn't for the Blues when Parkes was dragged to the floor with just four minutes left to play. Danny Grainger stepped forward to take the resulting penalty, but Joe Day went the right way to make a fantastic save.

Salt was almost rubbed into the wounds when Butler steamed forward in time added on. His cut back found Labadie but a first time volley flew off into the stands.



Newport County - Azeez (14), Amond (67)



Newport County - Sheehan (44), Labadie (85)

Carlisle United - Gerrard (58), Thomas (90)



Newport County - Day, Butler, Willmott, Dolan (Sheehan 31), Amond, Matt (Labadie 74), Azeez (McKirdy 83), Bennett, O' Brien, Poole, Demetriou. Subs - Townsend, Pipe, Marsh-Brown, Bakinson.

Carlisle United - Collin, Liddle, Gerrard, Parkes, Grainger, Slater, Etuhu (Thomas 68), O'Hare, Scougall, Cullen, Hope (McCarron 86). Subs - Gray, Miller, Kennedy, Jones, Grant.


Referee - Mr Ross Joyce

Attendance - 3,432 (233 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account