MATCH REPORT: Summary of the Saturday friendly

League One Fleetwood travel to Brunton Park on Saturday for the fourth of six pre-season friendlies scheduled for this month.

United boss Steven Pressley gave more pitch time to his first team squad, with a mix of youth and trialists Kwame Thomas and Aaron Hayden also getting vital game minutes.

Carlisle controlled the possession through the opening stages and they almost drew first blood when Elliott slipped a pass through the static backline. McKirdy arrived on the sprint but he dragged his effort wide.

It was a brief respite for the visitors as Jack Bridge sparked a good move from deep. He fed it to Elliott, and the right back didn't disappoint with an excellent cross. Bridge had continued his move and he picked his spot with a looping header.

The Blues kept going and a dinked cross from Mellish had Thomas interested. He threw himself at it but he couldn't quite make the connection. 

The Cod Army struggled to make an impact in the final third and it was the hosts who continued to look the more likely as McKirdy and Galloway swung testing deliveries into the box. 

A good spell for the visitors saw Webster and Knight-Percival block dangerous balls into the box, and both sides found their enterprising play halted by some solid defending.

A stinger from McKirdy was palmed away by Cairns just before the half hour, and Madden blasted over for the away side when he should probably have done better.

The scores were levelled just before the break when former-Blue Paddy Madden converted a disputed spot kick, as Webster appeared to bring his man down just outside the box.

McAleny smashed a volley against the post when Fleetwood came again as they grew in confidence following the equaliser.

Chances became harder to come by after the break, but the away side took the lead when Biggins peeled into space at the back stick. His header from a teasing cross had good direction and Collin was left with no chance as it arrowed past his dive. 

Rossiter hit tbe bar with a dipping free kick as the visitors pushed forward, and it was another set piece which brought the third away goal of the afternoon as Morris forced a superb save out of Collin with a driven effort which bent past the wall. Paddy Madden reacted first to sweep the loose pieces into the net.

The pace of the game visibly slowed through the closing stages, with both sides making a number of changes, but it was another useful afternoon for Steven Pressley as he got more match time for his first team squad.



Carlisle United - Bridge (10)

Fleetwood Town - Madden (40 pen, 65), Biggins (58)



Carlisle United - Collin, Elliott (Barnes 74), Mellish (Birch 74), Webster (Lightfoot 74), Knight-Percival (Branthwaite 74), Jones (Bell 74), Bridge (Armstrong 74), Scougall (Brunt 74), McKirdy (Charters 67), Galloway (Kerr 74), Thomas (Hayden 46). Sub - Gray.

Fleetwood Town - Cairns, Coyle, Eastham (Clarke 63), Souttar, Burns, Biggins (Matete 77), Coutts (Rossiter 63), Morris, Rydel (Hill 77), Madden (Saunders 77), McAleny (Baggley 63). Subs - Crellin, Southam-Hales, Mooney, Sheron.


Referee - Mr Anthony Backhouse

Attendance - 1,620 (112 away fans)

Read Time: 3 mins