Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: Emirates FA Cup second round replay

A look ahead to the midweek game

9 December 2019

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: Emirates FA Cup second round replay

A look ahead to the midweek game

9 December 2019

Carlisle United and Forest Green Rovers go head-to-head for the third time already this season when they meet in the Emirates FA Cup second round replay at Brunton Park on Tuesday night.

Joe MillsThe teams battled out a 2-2 draw at the New Lawn 10 days ago, with Nathan Thomas the United headline maker with a stunning brace on the day.

Championship side Cardiff City are the third round opponents who lie in waiting, with a trip to the Cardiff City Stadium on the cards for the victors of this rematch - extra time and penalties will be used, if required.

Both teams had potential banana skins to deal with in round one, with Rovers making easy pickings of Billericay Town on their own patch. United, of course, kicked things off this season with a Friday night victory over Dulwich Hamlet in front of the TV cameras.

Forest Green have made themselves a tough team to beat this season, as demonstrated by the fact that they could have gone top had they beaten Crewe just before our first round game took place. 

Stubborn in defence and lively in attack they can certainly mix things up, and in Joe Mills, Jack Aitchison, Matt Stevens and Ebou Adams they have a string of dangerous options when it comes to the final third. The quartet have bagged 18 goals between them.


From the head coach

Chris BeechSpeaking ahead of the game, Chris Beech said: "This is my first home game since I took over and I'm looking forward to being in front of the Carlisle fans.

"We saw down at the New Lawn that Forest Green like to get at teams, but I was pleased with the way we countered their threats and with the way we created good chances to score.

"Both clubs know that a game against a Championship team is up next, but that can't be the focus. It comes down to concentrating on the job at hand and to making sure that we're ready to go again against one of the best teams in our division.

"The lads worked hard in the first meeting but the hard work and effort has to be made to count for something now. I said last week that a cup run can lift everybody, and that's what we want. We'll only get it if we concentrate and play as a unit on the night."



  Carlisle wins Draws Forest Green wins
League 3 2 2
FA Cup 0 1 0
Total 3 3 2


Highlights from previous meetings

United had to come from behind when Aaron Collins netted with just 10 minutes on the clock at Nailsworth two Saturday's ago. Goals either side of the break from Nathan Thomas put the Cumbrians in the ascendency, but an own goal from Gethin Jones just two minutes after Thomas had bagged his second left the teams with it all to do again as the game ended 2-2.

Unfortunately we do not hold the rights to the first round match footage.

It was a stalemate here at Brunton Park when these sides met in league action in September. Chances came and went, but the feisty encounter went without goals as five players were booked and one sent off (James Morton).

Watch the highlights from that game here:

United came away from the New Lawn with a 1-1 draw in March this year, having largely dominated the game. Nathan Thomas bagged the goal, but there were a number of opportunities missed by the Blues as they battled, but ultimately failed, to take all three points.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was Rovers who took the honours when they came north in November, earlier in that season, with goals from Ben Morris and Carl Winchester giving them a two-goal cushion. A late penalty from Jamie Devitt gave the Blues some hope, but the away side held out to take all three points.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The December 2017 away trip to the New Lawn brought an early Christmas present for the Blue Army as Richie Bennett headed home what turned out to be the winner just before the half hour.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was the same scoreline here at Brunton Park in January 2018 with the only goal of the game coming in almost the same minute. This time it was Jamie Devitt who found the back of the net when he arrived late to smash a volley into the bottom corner as the ball fell nicely at his feet.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


The man in the middle

Andy HainesOur referee for this game is Mr Andy Haines. Andy has taken charge of 19 games so far this season showing 52 yellow cards and four reds.

He was last at Brunton Park last month for our 2-1 home win over Macclesfield. Harry McKirdy and Ryan Loft scored the Carlisle goals and Mike Jones and Canice Carroll had their names taken on the day.

Prior to that he was here in March last season for our 2-2 draw with Cambridge. The U's went ahead with just three minutes on the clock, but goals from Jamie Devitt and Nathan Thomas gave the Blues the lead before the break. Former-United favourite Jabo Ibehre bagged midway through the second period to make it a share of the spoils on the day. Danny Grainger and Mike Jones received bookings during the game.

He was also with us just three months earlier for our Boxing Day meeting with Oldham. United ran riot with goals from Hope, Yates [2], Nadesan, Grainger and Liddle securing a thumping 6-0 victory. Kelvin Etuhu was the only Carlisle name taken on the night.

Earlier last season he was up here for our Checkatrade Trophy group fixture against Morecambe. A tight game saw the Shrimps twice take the lead through goals from Oliver and Piggott. Glendon and Gillesphey pegged them back for the Blues, and that set it up for Jerry Yates to grab a late winner. There were no United names taken on the night.

We saw Mr Haines twice in season 2017/18, both at Brunton Park, starting with our opening day fixture against Swindon Town. Luke Joyce scored our only goal in a 2-1 defeat, and Mike Jones was the only Carlisle name taken.

Our second meeting had a much more pleasant outcome as we beat Oldham Athletic 3-2 in the FA Cup. Richie Bennett (2) and Hallam Hope gave us a three goal cushion but there was still time to bite the fingernails as Peter Clarke and Aaron Holloway bit back to make it a nervy ending to the game. There were no Carlisle bookings that afternoon.

Referee - Andy Haines
Assistant Referee 1 - Geoffrey Liddle
Assistant Referee 2 - Peter Gooch
Fourth Official - Adam Herczeg


Is that a fact?

Forest Green reached the final of the FA Trophy in 1999, making them the first side to reach the final of both the FA Trophy and the FA Vase.


Match tickets

Full match ticket details are HERE.

You can purchase your tickets online HERE.


iFollow the Blues

Don’t miss a kick – join us on iFollow United for match coverage for EVERY first team game this season.

Click HERE to sign up for full match commentary, in association with BBC Radio Cumbria.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account