Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 0 - 1 Stevenage

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

29 September 2018

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 0 - 1 Stevenage

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

29 September 2018

The Blues were back at Brunton Park on Saturday afternoon as they looked to build on last week's good away work at Gigg Lane.

But it was Stevenage who took the points courtesy of a thumping strike from Ben Kennedy early in the second half.

Boro, kicking towards United's Warwick Road End, had an early free kick opportunity, with a set piece out wide, but Liddle was pushed as the ball came in and the moment was gone. United then won one of their own at the other end, but Devitt's delivery was cleared by Cuthbert.

A run from Sowerby took him past his man, when he was picked out by Etuhu, and he sent a lovely pass to Hope as he arrived late. Good defending kept the blue shirts at bay, but Cuthbert had to step in when another teaser from Devitt arrived.

United stayed forward and another free kick from Devitt flew over heads on its way to the target. Gerrard was a whisker away from applying the finishing touch before the ball was grasped gratefully by Dieng.

A slick passing move from the hosts saw Sowerby and Nadesan combine to create space for another cross. It dropped nicely for Hope but he went for the first time volley and he couldn't keep it down. 

The Blues should have scored on 14 minutes when Sowerby took matters into his own hands to go past his man and surge into the box. He showed good strength before hooking it back for Devitt to shoot. His initial effort was blocked, but it spun clear for Bennett, nine yards out, to strike. He had to readjust and that allowed a block to be made.

Hope returned the loose ball and Liddle kept two defenders at arm's length as he twisted his way to a cross. It bounced up awkwardly and Dieng was relieved to see it hit a thigh and then spin into his waiting hands when Bennett thumped the volley his way.

Carlisle kept chipping away, with good movement and link-up play between the midfield and front men a theme of the half, but they were left frustrated with their final ball as decent situations were left to go begging. 

Stevenage reminded the home side that there were spoils to be had for either team when a driven corner found Cuthbert on the move. His header had power but it angled over the target.

And Adam Collin had to be at his best moments later when the unmarked Danny Newton put his left boot through a crisp volley. It appeared to be going in until the big stopper got down to make a fingertip save.

Midfielder Jack Sowerby had to leave the field, just past the half hour, as he was beaten by a knock picked up earlier in the game. George Glendon came on to take his place.

Collin was in action again just ahead of the break when Revell was played clean through by a slide rule pass from Kennedy. The big keeper spread himself to make an excellent block with his boot.

A half chance came the way of Jamie Devitt just before half time, when he volleyed a nod down from Bennett through bodies, but it lacked direction and it curled well wide.

Referee Scott Oldham turned away in disdain at an early second half appeal for a penalty when Alex Revell went down dramatically, and the action drifted into midfield with neither side willing to give ground.

But the visitors took the lead in emphatic syle on 56 minutes when Ben Kennedy found himself with a clear sight of the target as the ball ran into his path on the edge of the area. He made no mistake as he thundered it into the top corner.

The hosts thought they’d levelled almost straight away when Devitt beat his man to cross from wide. Substitute Adam Campbell jumped to head it and Dieng was beaten all ends up as it crashed onto the upright. The stranded stopper had no idea where he was as it rebounded off his leg and bobbled away to safety.

An incisive move followed as Campbell and Hope played a one-two to create space. The ball across the face of the area was just too far in front of Nadesan and Stevenage were able to see the danger away.

Stevenage protected their defensive third well as the clock ticked on but they were almost undone when a Devitt free kick was flicked on well by Gerrard. Parkes put his boot through it at the back stick but Timlin made the block.

Carlisle pushed men forward through the closing stages but Boro stayed deep to protect their one-goal lead.



Stevenage - Kennedy (56)



Carlisle United - Hope (90)

Stevenage - Seddon (63)



Carlisle United - Collin, Liddle, Gerrard, Parkes, Gillesphey (McCarron 80), Sowerby (Glendon 33), Devitt, Etuhu, Hope, Nadesan, Bennett (Campbell 54). Subs - O'Reilly, Miller, Jones, Slater.

Stevenage - Dieng, Wildin, Timlin, Cuthbert, Byrom, Revell, Kennedy (Guthrie 83), Sonupe (Ferry 46), Seddon, Newton, Nugent. Subs - Appleyard, Hunt, Ball, Reid, Henry.


Referee - Mr Scott Oldham

Attendance - 4,200 (59 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account