Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Notts County 1 - 1 United

Report from the Tuesday night away game

27 November 2018

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Notts County 1 - 1 United

Report from the Tuesday night away game

27 November 2018

United made the trip into Nottinghamshire to face Notts County on Tuesday night in their latest League Two fixture.

Manager John Sheridan went with an unchanged starting line up from the weekend home game against Forest Green, albeit with a switch to a flat back four, with Nadesan and Hope once more given the striking roles.

United played some good stuff to get into the box with four minutes on the clock when Hope held the ball up before feeding it back to Gillesphey. His one-touch pass fed it behind the back line for Hope to chase, and he spotted Devitt making a late run into the box. The midfielder stabbed his toe at it but Fitzsimons was down sharply to save.

Carlisle stayed forward and Hope had a go from distance when he cut inside from the right flank. It was on target but easy for the keeper to claim.

A right-footed cross from Gillesphey followed as the away side kept the pressure on, but Fitzsimons was once again well placed to gobble it up.

It was almost complete Blues domination and an error from Husin allowed Devitt to pick up a loose ball inside the opposition half. He laid it off for Nadesan but his volley skewed off the top of his boot and angled away to safety.

County showed as something like a force on 10 minutes when trickery and speed of thought from Thomas took him past Yates and Sowerby. He drilled a cross across the face of goal but there was nobody on hand to finish it off.

The bright visiting start was almost rewarded when a 30-yard Devitt free kick dipped over the wall. The keeper kept his hands to himself but was still relieved to see it shave the upper side of his bar.

Excellent football from United should have brought a goal just after the quarter hour when Hope slowed things down before sending Sowerby on an overlap. He cut it back to the onrushing striker with a neat flick and the shot from Hope was going in until Fitzsimons dropped quickly to make the parry.

There was more eyecatching stuff to follow when Sowerby intercepted a poor pass on the half way line. Devitt got involved, before Nadesan was released, but his shot on the run was blocked at source.

A 24-yard cruncher on the turn from Devitt, after he'd controlled a fizzed pass from Gillesphey, had Fitzsimons working once again but it was at a comfortable height and the stopper plucked it out of the air.

The Magpies wasted a good opportunity to make a name for themselves, having been almost completely pegged back, when Husin stepped in to take hold of a misplaced clearance in the Carlisle half. Dennis called for it, in acres of space, but he got his bearings wrong and his attempt at a lob bent wildly and flew wide.

An unbelievable passage of play saw United keep the ball in the final third, with entries into the box included, for a series of passes and a prolonged period of time, making the home crowd become increasingly frustrated. Just about every outfield player in blue was involved, but it came to a close when a deep cross from Sowerby sailed over heads and went behind for a goal kick.

A huge miskick from Davies presented Nadesan with an unexpected invitation to get forward, and Hope was quickly alongside him calling for the ball. He shot low from just inside the area but it struck Turley and spun away from the target.

For all the Carlisle domination it was all-square as the teams headed up the tunnel for their half time talk, but it had been encouraging stuff to watch for the 214-strong travelling Blue Army.

United started the second half as they'd left the first, on the front foot, and Hope earned a corner with another good run on the left. Devitt's inswinger was cleared at the front stick as Gerrard challenged.

Nadesan dragged a long range shot wide as the Blues continued to camp forward, but there was a foray from the hosts when Dennis found room to cross. That was recovered, but Husin couldn't keep his instinctive volley on target.

Back at the other end and Devitt was unfortunate with a piledriver which flashed through bodies and rose high. The Magpies seemed more lively, though, and Thomas showed purpose to get into the area and pull the ball back. He won a corner, but that was well dealt with by Gerrard.

An excellent chance came for the hosts when Hewitt surged forward as Dennis broke things down in midfield. Thomas was played clean through, but Collin was superb as he spread himself to make a fantastic save. Turley was on hand to power the delivery from the set piece at the nets, but Collin was fantastic once again with a two-handed block from the thumping header.

Slater put a crisp volley wide from outside the area when another dipping Devitt corner was only partially cleared, and a rasping cross from the right was an inch away from being converted by Hope as he threw himself at it.

For all their good work the Cumbrians were undone just after the hour when a corner was put back into the mix by Patching. It bounced high and an initial block was made, but Elliott Hewitt kept his eye on it before smashing an unstoppable volley beyond Adam Collin's dive.

United were almost back on terms immediately when Yates beat his man to get into a good area. His cross was met on the full by Nadesan but he couldn't guide his 10-yard volley at the target as he came under real pressure.

Another big chance came Carlisle's way when Gillesphey sent a beauty of a pass at Yates. He twisted and turned, and dumped his man to the floor, but Fitzsimons beat the shot away as it appeared to be heading in.

Yates had another shot blocked, and Jones popped one over the bar, as the visitors kept pushing forward with plenty of blue shirts in attendance. Hope was next to send one wayward as he ran into the box before popping his attempt past the far post.

County started to play on the break and an overload from Dan Jones brought a cross which hit a boot and floated high. Dennis was on the end of it but Gerrard stuck close and the header dropped nicely for Collin to save.

United deservedly equalised with six minutes left to play when teenager Liam McCarron broke free to cross. Yates timed his run perfectly to get everything on it and guide the ball over the line.

Carlisle almost bagged again when Hope snatched a cheeky cross into the six yard box, only to see it cleared, and Etuhu had a shot blocked as Carlisle piled forward. The Blues thought they'd cracked it right at the death, but Bennett sent an excellent chance straight at the keeper deep into time added on.

It was close, but the finishing wasn't quite there, and that was it for the action as the sides had to settle for a share of the spoils.



Notts County - Hewitt (63)

Carlisle United - Yates (84)



Notts County - Hewitt (79)



Notts County - Fitzsimons, Hewitt, Dennis, Thomas (Kellett 90), Husin (Brisley 85), Ward, Patching, Davies, D Jones, Milsom, Turley. Subs - Pindroch, Tootle, Duffy, Vaughan, Etete.

Carlisle United - Collin, Liddle, Gerrard, Gillesphey, Sowerby, Slater, M Jones (Etuhu 82), Devitt (Bennett 82), Yates, Hope, Nadesan (McCarron 75). Subs - Gray, Glendon, Campbell, Adewusi.


Referee - Mr Thomas Bramall

Attendance - 4,119 (214 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account