Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 0 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday

Report from the Saturday afternoon Emirates FA Cup third round fixture

6 January 2018

United played host to Championship side Sheffield Wednesday at Brunton Park on Saturday afternoon in the third round of this season's Emirates FA Cup competition.

And the teams will have it all to do again as they battled their way to a goalless draw in what was an entertaining encounter.

There were just 60 seconds on the clock when the Owls created their first chance courtesy of a cross from Wallace. Nuhiu jumped highest but his header crashed onto the bar and dropped kindly for Bonham.

United responded with a break, sparked by Lambe, when he came away with the ball at his feet in midfield. He fed it to Brown, and Hope was unlucky not to turn his man as he tried to spin on the edge of the area.

The Owls got forward quickly from the clearance and a low clearing punch from Bonham sat up nicely for Reach as he found space on the edge of the box. He went for a first time volley but he couldn't keep it down and it sailed over the target.

Wednesday enjoyed a lot of early pressure and they tested Carlisle again when Reach combined with Nuhiu to make space for Boyd. He moved his feet and went for the shot but Bonham was equal to it as he went full length to palm it away. 

The Cumbrians got forward well when Grainger and Cosgrove linked up to put Hope clean through on the angle of the 18-yard box. He struck a clean shot but it was straight at Wildsmith.

A superb challenge from Liddle prevented Nuhiu from putting his boot through the ball as he broke into the box, and Parkes had to clear as Palmer crossed low with plenty in attendance through what was a good spell for the visiting side.

But it was United who went closest during the tight opening half hour when Brown ventured up the right wing and picked out Hope with an excellent inside pass. The striker beat his man and unleashed a powerful drive which edged just past the upright.

Deliveries from set pieces from the home side had to be looked after as blue shirts flooded the box, as they grew in confidence, and Sheffield found it more and more difficult to find a way through at the other end with Carlisle looking comfortable with their shape.

It was honours even heading into the break, as the hosts ended the half on top with some good spells of play, and with tie sat in the balance and there for taking for whoever could find a way through. 

It was United's turn to throw the first punch after the break and they did well as they worked their way down the right wing with Hope and Devitt at the heart of it. Lambe asked for it, and he turned on the spot before letting fly with a thundering punt. Wildsmith was beaten but it was just too high.

Striker Hallam Hope then ran straight at the back line when he took possession inside the centre circle. He beat two on his way to a shot that was blocked. It was end-to-end stuff and a cross from Reach found Joao on the leap. Bonham scampered but was able to watch as it dropped harmlessly behind.

The Owls were the width of the woodwork away from taking the lead when a free kick from the corner flag area was whipped to the front stick by Fox. Joao headed it through bodies but it hit the base of the post and rolled along the line before going behind for a free kick.

Carlisle gave as good as they got and they thought they'd taken the lead when Devitt checked his run forward and called for a reverse pass from Hope. A lovely, flighted cross followed and Sam Cosgrove picked his spot with a well-placed header. The celebrations were cut short as the offside flag was raised.

Action followed at the other end when Palmer lobbed a cross into the mix. Nuhiu put everything he had into the header but Bonham pulled off an excellent one-handed save to keep the scores at level pegging.

Quick feet from Lambe gave him an option as Carlisle continued to get forward, and he appeared to have put substitute Shaun Miller through with a delicate touch. It got stuck under his feet and Wildsmith was able to hook it away.

The Blues stuck to the task and Lambe brought another save out of Wildsmith when he tried his luck from 20-yards. The keeper kept things safe with a calculated dive.

Both sides kept chipping away but it ended all-square with all eyes now on Monday night's draw.



Carlisle United - Cosgrove (45)



Carlisle United - Bonham, Brown, Liddle, Hill, Parkes, Grainger, Lambe (O'Sullivan 85), Jones, Devitt, Cosgrove (Bennett 77), Hope (S Miller 78). Subs - Bacon, T Miller, Nabi, Ellis.

Sheffield Wednesday - Wildsmith, Jones, Fox, Loovens, Palmer, Nuhiu (Matias 78), Joao, Reach, Boyd (Rhodes 68), Wallace, Venancio. Subs - Dawson, Butterfield, Baker, O'Grady, Pudil.


Referee - Mr David Webb

Attendance - 7,793 (1,916 away fans)

Advertisement block