Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 0 Forest Green

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

27 January 2018

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 0 Forest Green

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

27 January 2018

United were back at Brunton Park on Saturday afternoon for their second meeting of the season with Forest Green Rovers.

A third consecutive league clean sheet helped United to a vital home victory as a solitary Jamie Devitt goal proved to be enough to see the hosts complete the double over their visitors.

United started well, and a foul on Brown earned United an early free kick, but Grainger's delivery was headed clear from deep inside a very packed box.

The two new boys showed they were up for it moments later when Stockton shielded a Brown pass with his back to goal. He fed it to Twardek but his cross was cut out at source.

Brown was a good outlet once again on eight minutes when he found space on the right. A curling cross was difficult to deal with and Lee Collins went for safety first as he stabbed it behind for a corner.

An excellent free kick from his own half from Jones needed a punch from Collins to prevent Hill from making use of it, and Reece Brown thundered a shot over at the other end as Rovers tried to impose some attacking authority.

United came again when Stockton flicked the ball through for Twardek to chase from a kick forward by Bonham. He beat his man and delivered from wide but the visiting defence had numbers back and were able to deal with it. Devitt picked up the loose pieces but his shot flew high and very wide.

The new-look forward pairing did well again when Stockton used strength to beat two defenders to a bouncing ball. He found Twardek, who used his first touch to centre it, for Devitt to shoot. It was a much better effort this time and it dipped just over the angle of post and bar.

On a day so affected by the weather quality deliveries were always going to play a part, and Carlisle opened the scoring when Grainger popped a beauty of a cross into the mix. Hill nodded it down, which caused a huge amount of defensive confusion, but Jamie Devitt kept his cool to smash his fifth of the season into the bottom corner.

Another fantastic set piece from Grainger deserved better as it whisked between the advancing blue shirts and the stranded keeper. All it needed was a touch, but there was just too much on it and the ball skipped away to safety.

Rovers were almost back on terms when Doidge headed a free kick into the ground on the edge of the Carlisle area. Hill had to stretch to meet it and he was relieved to see his toe poke hit the outside of the post, with keeper Jack Bonham unable to do anything about it.

Devitt was clearly in the mood and a quick corner routine opened things up for a shot as half time approached. It had plenty of power but it was always heading wide as he struck it with purpose from the angle of the area.

United enjoyed a good spell of pressure ahead of the break and an inswinging corner from Devitt had to be clawed away from beneath the bar by Collins. Joyce was onto the loose ball but a block stopped his shot from troubling the target.

Grainger then went close when Carlisle switched the play from right to left with four one-touch passes which the left the captain with a choice to make. Collins could only watch as a powerful drive dipped late and dropped just over the woodwork.

It was a scrappy start to the second half but Rovers were denied what looked a good penalty shout when Parkes miscontrolled and the ball spun free into his own area. Parkes chased the ball, Doidge went down, but the officials ignored the appeals and waved play on.

Parkes was in action at the other end when he climbed highest to meet a Grainger corner. Collins went for safety first as he tipped the header over the bar. Devitt was next to go close when he took charge of a free kick as Gunning was booked for hacking Brown to the floor. His low effort beat the wall but crashed into the side netting.

Carlisle should have doubled their lead on 69 minutes when the lively Twardek used three team mates to help him work a path down the right flank. He beat his man and found Luke Joyce completely unmarked, just ten yards out, but the midfielder hesitated for just a moment and the defender was able to make the block.

Rovers had a decent spell of their own on 75 minutes when two corners kept the hosts on their toes. Bonham punched one, and Parkes headed the other clear, with the nets never really looking troubled.

A swirling free kick from Wishart caused a moment of concern as it whipped across the Carlisle target, and Etuhu swiped one wide at the other end as the clock ticked down, but United saw the game out to take their hard-earned points.



Carlisle United - Devitt (27)



Carlisle United - Bonham (66), Joyce (89), Bacon (90)

Forest Green Rovers - Bennett (41), Gunning (59), L Collins (89), Campbell (90)



Carlisle United - Bonham, J Brown (O'Sullivan 82), Liddle, Hill, Parkes, Grainger, Joyce, Jones, Devitt, Stockton (Cosgrove 76), Twardek (Etuhu 87). Subs - Bacon, Hope, R Bennett, Lambe.

Forest Green Rovers - B Collins, D Bennett (Stevens 90), L Collins, Grubb, Doidge, R Brown (Wishart 55), Gunning, Rawson, Reid (Campbell 76), Hollis, Osbourne. Subs - Pickering, Laird, Simpson, Whittle, Stevens.


Referee - Tom Nield

Attendance - 4,176 (107 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account