Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Wycombe 4 - 3 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

3 February 2018

United were at Adams Park on Saturday afternoon for their latest Sky Bet League Two fixture.

And it was ultimately heartache for the Blues as two goals deep into added time gave the ten-man Chairboys an unlikely victory from a game that had just about everything.

Carlisle overcame a two-goal first half deficit to put themselves in the driving seat, but two lapses of concentration cost them as Wycombe bit back.

A low cross from Cowan-Hall had Akinfenwa interested early in the piece but his shot was blocked at source by Brown. The ball ricocheted out wide and Tyson delivered on the run from deep for Akinfenwa to nod. He connected well but he guided his header wide of the upright.

United started to get into their flow and a high ball forward from Brown had Wycombe on the back foot as Twardek tussled for possession. The away team had plenty forward and it eventually fell kindly for Brown to volley. He hit it with venom but it struck Jacobson and veered behind for a corner.

Brown found another excellent ball to pick out Twardek once again and the nippy wide man beat his marker and pulled it back for Stockton to shoot. It was a tight angle and the first-time effort whistled just past the upright.

Carlisle enjoyed the better of the early play and a tussle in midfield between Joyce and Bloomfield saw them push on again when the ball broke clear, and Jones fed it onwards for Twardek to chase. Scott Brown was off his line quickly and he got enough of a touch on the shot to slow it down. Gape hurried back to help and he hooked it away off the line.

A shot from distance from O'Nien, which dropped over the bar, sparked a better spell for the hosts and deliveries from left and right had Parkes and Hill at full stretch as they worked hard to clear their lines. The back line stood strong and the flurry was dealt with.

The opening goal of the game came from route one stuff as Akinfenwa bullied his way onto a high delivery. His final touch put Bloomfield in the clear and his toe-poke left Bonham with no chance.

And there was more bad news for the Cumbrians just two minutes later when a half clearance invited Cowan-Hall to shoot. Bonham parried it but Luke O'Nien was on hand to sweep the pieces into the roof of the net.

Carlisle were right back in it with just two minutes on the second half clock when a wonderful cross from substitute and debut boy Jamal Campbell-Ryce found Twardek unmarked at the back stick. He set himself for the volley and he left Scott Brown rooted to the spot with a thundering connection. An outstretched hand from Luke O’Nien stopped the ball on the line and he was given his marching orders as Danny Grainger steadied himself for the penalty. The captain put his boot through the spot kick and found the bottom corner.

The Cumbrians should have been back on level terms with their very next attack when Brown overlapped and crossed on the run. Devitt had the goal at his mercy, just eight yards out, but he lost his bearings and sent his volley high over the bar.

Scott Brown was then needed for a double-save as Carlisle got forward with purpose with every attack. His first was a parry from Devitt, as he ran forward and let fly, and he improvised to swipe the ball clear with his shin when Twardek followed up.

Wycombe were awarded a penalty of their own just after the hour when Bonham chopped Tyson to the floor as he broke through. Joe Jacobson stepped up to do the honours but the stopper redeemed himself with an excellent save.

Carlisle unpicked the stubborn ten-man lock again midway through the half when James Brown retrieved an excellent delivery from Twardek. He took an age to complete his cross, but it was perfect when it came as he found Devitt in acres of space. The midfielder bent low for the header and a deflection took it past Scott Brown.

And what to all intents and purposes looked like an amazing turnaround was completed when Brown bent a set piece at the far post. Cole Stockton grabbed his first goal for the club as he jumped highest to find the top corner with an accurate header.

Carlisle kept the ball well as the clock ticked down and Jones had the fans behind the goal on their feet as he set himself for a shot. It had plenty of power but it angled high.

New arrival Jamal Campbell-Ryce was denied his debut goal when Brown saved his crunching drive from distance in time added on, but it was Wycombe who surged forward as the 90 minute mark approached.

And they were rewarded for their attacking approach when a deep cross from out wide found Cowan-Hall on the run. His header found the back of the net despite a touch from the diving Jack Bonham.

Carlisle hearts were broken with almost the last kick of the game when a half clearance from a Cowan-Hall delivery was pounced upon by Bean. His volley flew through the masses ranks inside the box and thumped into the bottom corner.



Wycombe Wanderers - Bloomfield (28), O'Nien (30), Cowan-Hall (90), Bean (90)

Carlisle United - Grainger (49 pen), Devitt (68), Stockton (70)



Wycombe Wanderers: sent off - O'Nien (47)

Carlisle United - Parkes (22), Bonham (61), Twardek (72)



Wycombe Wanderers - S Brown, Gape (Mackail-Smith 82), Jacobson (McGinley 82), Scarr, El-Abd, Bean, O'Nien, Bloomfield, Cowan-Hall, Akinfenwa, Tyson (Kashket 74). Subs - Ma-Kalambay, De Havilland, Freeman, Thompson.

Carlisle United - Bonham, J Brown, Liddle, Hill (Campbell-Ryce 46), Parkes, Grainger, Devitt, Joyce (Etuhu 34), Jones, Twardek (Hope 78), Stockton. Subs - Gray, Bennett, Lambe, Nadesan.


Referee - Carl Boyeson

Attendance - 4,145 (298 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account