Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Robins 0 - 1 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

18 August 2018

United returned to league action on Saturday afternoon and they claimed their first win of the season from what was an excellent performance.

New arrival Ashley Nadesan went straight into the starting line up with manager John Sheridan making three changes from his midweek Carabao Cup starting eleven. Grainger and Bennett were the other two players to make the step back up.

The game opened at a frantic pace with both sides sniffing around the edge of the penalty areas as they looked to make an impression. United blocked twice as Addai and Broom tried to make inroads, and Yates had to be dealt with at the other end when he was picked out by a raking pass from the Carlisle captain.

A great pass from Liddle sent Devitt on an overlap as Carlisle continued to look lively, but his cross was blocked through what was a spell of good pressure for the visitors as they stayed on the front foot.

The Blues almost got the goal their bright start deserved when Nadesan pulled off his man to invite team mates to come forward. Devitt was on hand to clip a lovely delivery into the box and Bennett thought he'd done enough when he guided his header at the roof of the net. Flinders jumped acrobatically to tip it over the bar.

A quickly taken training ground set piece routine saw Broom pick out Addai at the other end, when everyone expected a shot, but a heavy touch allowed Fryer to race out and scoop up the loose ball.

United had a fantastic chance to open the scoring midway through the half when Bennett whisked an excellent delivery into the six-yard box. Yates arrived on time but he couldn't keep his close range header down and it flew over the bar.

There was work to do at the other end when Kalala controlled a fierce pass 30-yards from goal. He took a touch and then let fly when he spotted a gap in the back line. Fryer needed two hands to palm it away.

Yates pulled off his man to volley a deep delivery from Grainger back across the face of goal but it was just too far behind Bennett and it was cleared off his toes as he tried to drag it under his control.

A wild shot from Bennett which sailed high over the target punctuated a scrappy spell, and determined work from Hope and Yates should have brought a better end product but an underhit pass at the vital moment allowed Forster to lunge in and make the clearance.

Carlisle got the lead their first half efforts deserved when Nadesan made an awkwardly bouncing ball his own as he went shoulder-to-shoulder with Boyle inside the box. More bravery followed as he dived to head a pass at Richie Bennett and the big forward kept his cool when he drilled a firm shot under Flinders and into the net.

Two good deliveries from Devitt just before the break had Bennett and Hope interested but neither could quite get the touch needed to finish it off. Cheltenham broke and a brave block from Grainger prevented a shot at goal after Broom had twisted and turned his way into a dangerous position.

But it was the away side who should have taken a two-goal advantage into the break when Hope left his marker for dead deep into time added on. He cut the ball back but it rolled untouched across the face of the gaping net as Bennett and Devitt skidded in.

Carlisle showed first after the break when Nadesan bided his time before putting a deep ball into the area. Yates kept his eye on it and his first time volley screamed just over the bar as he got his head over it with plenty of power.

Quick movement of the ball from front to back earned a corner for Carlisle when Bennett's final pass of a good move was cut out, and Atangana had to head clear when Devitt looked to find Hope at the near post.

Carlisle were reminded that there was still defending to do when Boyle jumped highest to nod for glory. Hope kept his eye on it and made a superb goal line clearance.

It was better from the hosts and they had a penalty appeal waved away when Broom tumbled to the floor as he tried to make his way around the defence.

And another goal line clearance was needed when Atangana used his height to complete a headed effort. Grainger was on hand to do the duty this time.

A 19-yard free kick from Debayo was deflected over by Glendon as the Robins tried to increase the pressure, and there were more loud appeals, this time for handball, when the corner was swept in. The referee turned away as he ignored the shouts from the home contingent.

Carlisle kept their concentration and Yates turned defence into attack with a powerful run. He released Hope but Flinders was well placed to make a save at a very tight angle.

Quick thinking between Devitt and Liddle brought another good opening when a lofted pass forward from the defender caught Mullins by surprise. Devitt tried to pull it back but it spun at the last moment and he miscued the touch.

Another fantastic delivery from Yates, when he'd been found by Devitt, had Flinders concerned as he realised it was out of his reach. Bennett threw himself at it but he couldn't make the contact it needed as it skipped off the surface.

Addai was wasteful at the other end when a ricochet left him in space, but he was off balance and he skied his rushed attempt.

Fryer was superb when the hosts sent everyone forward in search of a reward late in the day. The ball pinged around the area until Tozer put his laces through it, but the keeper somehow got there to tip it onto the post. 

Carlisle were then denied as Yates went clean through. He hit the post with a thunderbolt, and Bennett had his follow up cleared off the line.



Carlisle United - Bennett (39)



Cheltenham Town - Forster (21), Debayo (43), Boyle (59), Tozer (67)

Carlisle United - Etuhu (32), Gerrard (36)



Cheltenham Town - Flinders, Mullins, Atangana, Thomas (Dawson 68), Broom, Boyle, Addai, Debayo (McAlinden 76), Maddox, Forster, Kalala (Tozer 46). Subs - Lovett, Baldwin, Smith, Lloyd.

Carlisle United - Fryer, Liddle, Gerrard, Parkes, Hope, Devitt, Etuhu (Glendon 69), Yates, Grainger, Bennett, Nadesan (Slater 75). Subs - Collin, Miller, Gillesphey, Campbell, Adewusi.


Referee - Mr Peter Wright

Attendance - 2,455 (249 away fans)

Advertisement block