Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 1 Notts County

Report from our Saturday afternoon home game - our official Kick It Out fixture

21 October 2017

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 1 Notts County

Report from our Saturday afternoon home game - our official Kick It Out fixture

21 October 2017

United's Saturday afternoon Sky Bet League Two fixture against Notts County was dedicated to the Kick It Out campaign - tackling racism and discrimination in sport.

United were without striker Shaun Miller, who was serving the first of a two-match suspension, having become the first ever player to fall foul of the FA's new simulation rulings following the penalty decision given in his favour on Tuesday night. Second-year scholar Aidan Hutchinson was drafted onto the bench with numbers thin on the ground.

An early loose pass from Jones caused problems as it was immediately played through to Ameobi on the edge of the area. Jones atoned for his error with an excellent recovery challenge before Stead could pull the trigger. 

United survived the corner and Devitt put Brown into space on the right flank as blue shirts raced out of their own half. His low cross had to be put behind by Brisley as Hope lurked. The delivery was a good one and it was kept alive as Liddle and Miller challenged. It was eventually put behind again, but there was more drama when Fitzsimons dropped what appeared to be an easy catch. Hope tumbled to the floor in the melee that followed but the referee waved play on.

Carlisle should have taken the lead when Lambe and Devitt combined to make space for a cross on the right wing. It skipped off the surface and Hope allowed it to pass by for Miller to go for the volley. He connected well but Fitzsimons somehow got across to make a fantastic two-handed save.

A whipped corner delivery had the hosts troubled when Hewitt arrived late at the near post. He ducked under it and Jones was eventually able to deal with it. County came again and a looped delivery from Stead invited Grant to shoot. He put his laces through it but he couldn't keep it on target.

Magpies stopper Ross Fitzsimons was the hero of the hour again on 15 minutes when Hope sprinted into the area. His toe poke had to be parried, but an even better save followed when Lambe threw himself at the rebound. Agility and bravery made the block look much easier than it actually was.

United defender James Brown turned defence into attack moments later when he fed a lovely ball up the line for Hope to gather. The forward played it back into his path and Devitt had his header blocked at source when two defenders converged to close him down.

The goal the home play deserved came on 25 minutes when Adams whisked a perfect delivery over the keeper towards the back post. Devitt nodded it back into the mix and Hallam Hope made sure it crossed the line as he bundled it into the net.

Carlisle controlled much of the play following the goal, as they kept County at arms length, and their patience almost brought another for the tally just before the break when Adams found Hope in space. A shot from the edge of the box was handled safely by Fitzsimons.

Keeper Jack Bonham had to be at his best in time added on for the half when Stead found a yard inside the area. His cut back was met on the full by Tootle but the big stopper dropped smartly to make an excellent save.

A huge ball forward at the start of the second half almost paid dividend for the Magpies when Ameobi nodded it down on the edge of the box. Brisley tried to volley it on the bounce but his effort went onto the roof of the net.

The teams pushed and probed at each other as things remained tight and a cross from Ameobi was gobbled up by Bonham at one end, with a clipped pass from Adams for Hope swept to safety at the other.

But the Magpies drew level on 58 minutes when United were exposed on their defending left flank. Matt Tootle kept his cool as he overlapped and Yates said thank you very much as he was given the width of the target to aim at.

Half chances came and went, with Hill and Devitt trying their luck in front of the Warwick and Ameobi sliding in more with hope than purpose when Hawkridge swept a pass to the near post. Jones also got involved with a header from an Adams cross as he bullied his way into the box. That one dropped straight at Fitzsimons.

United survived a scare midway through the half when Ameobi pulled clear when an initial corner delivery was blocked. The second cross was met on the full by the big forward but he was disappointed to see his downward header smash onto the outside of the post.

Gary Liddle executed an unbelievable tackle with ten minutes left to play, when he stopped Alessandra in his tracks, just as it looked that a certain shot was coming in as he went one-on-one with Bonham. And Ameobi headed over from distance just as things started to open up in the closing stages.

Substitute Richie Bennett wasn't far away when he let fly from 35 yards, but Fitzsimons was happy to watch as the thunderbolt fizzed over the bar. Yates missed a great chance to clinch the points in time added on when he headed over from just six yards out, and Miller headed wide from an Adams cross with what was the last chance of the game with both sides probably feeling that they could have claimed the spoils.



Carlisle United - Hope (25)

Notts County - Yates (58)



Carlisle United - T Miller (90)



Carlisle United - Bonham, Brown, Liddle, Hill, T Miller, Lambe, Devitt (Rigg 79), Joyce, Jones, Adams, Hope (Bennett 64). Subs - George, Nabi, Cosgrove, Salkeld, Hutchinson.

Notts County - Fitzsimons, Tootle (Hunt 90), Dickinson, Hewitt, Duffy, Ameobi (Smith 89), Grant, Hawkridge, Brisley, Yates, Stead (Alessandra 79). Subs - Pindroch, Forte, Walker, Milsom.


Referee - David Webb

Attendance - 4,730 (369 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account