Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Colchester 0 - 1 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

14 October 2017

United were at the Weston Homes Community Stadium this weekend looking to build on a good run of away results in their latest Sky Bet League Two fixture.

And they made sure that was the case as a first goal for the club for Jamie Devitt gave his side their third consecutive away win.

Coupled with another clean sheet, also a third consecutive shut-out on their travels, it took United firmly into mid-table with two home games to follow.

There was little to show from the opening five minutes other than a long throw from Brown which caused a skirmish in the U's penalty area, The action was quickly brought to a close by the referee's whistle.

Brilliant footwork from Adams then took him past Loft but his low cross was cut out at the near post, accompanied by half-hearted appeals for handball from the Carlisle contingent.

Colchester showed in their own right on eight minutes when Reid twisted and turned with the ball at his feet. He opened half a yard but Bonham was down smartly to make the save when the drilled effort came in.

More good pressure from the U's put Wright in space on the left flank with plenty to find in the box. His delivery was nodded down by Mandron and Hanlan was poised to shoot until Liddle timed his tackle to perfection. He stepped in to hook the ball to safety. 

A long ball forward from Kent set Hanlan clear at a tight angle and Bonham did well to make a block with his boot. Liddle was there again to help out with the clearance.

Excellent one-touch football from Carlisle took them from their own half to a dangerous position as Nicky Adams suddenly found himself in acres of space. He went for a shot from distance but Eastman made an important block.

Shaun Miller had another effort halted at source when an error from Kpekwa left United with a gift of an attack, but it was more heorics at the other end from Liddle which earned a round of applause as Murray surged through to take a pull back from Reid. The midfielder was all set to slot the ball home until the centre back lunged in with another inch-perfect intervention.

The hosts were let off the hook ahead of the break when Kent miscued a difficult clearance on the edge of his own box. Adams gratefully accepted the invitation to deliver and he whipped a wicked ball across the face of the target. Miller and Lambe strained to get there but neither could make the connection.

Colchester came out of the second half blocks firing on all cylinders and Jackson broke clear on the right flank with space to exploit. His curled cross found Wright in the area, with just Bonham to beat, but the keeper somehow got down to make a fine one-handed save. The keeper couldn’t afford to rest on his laurels though as Hanlan pounced on the rebound. He thought he’d scored until the big stopper spread himself to make another world class save.

Substitute Jamie Devitt marked his arrival into the game with his first ever goal for the club when he was sent clear by a measured long ball from Brown. He had plenty to do but he drew the keeper and found the bottom corner with a drilled finish which left Walker with no chance.

Both sides had sniffs at opportunities through a tense 20-minute spell following the goal, but United defended well with Hill, Liddle and Tom Miller taking centre stage with some important tackles which saw their side through to their victory.



Carlisle United - Devitt (58)



Colchester United - Mandron (90)

Carlisle United - Brown (56), Grainger (80)



Colchester United - Walker, Jackson, Kent, Wright, Loft (Odelusi 77), Kpekwa, Murray, Reid (Kabamba 83), Eastman, Mandron, Hanlan (Slater 67). Subs – Gilmartin, Lapslie, Comley, James.

Carlisle United - Bonham, Brown, Liddle, Hill, Grainger, Lambe, Etuhu (Devitt 46), Jones, Joyce, Adams (Hope 67), S Miller (T Miller 83). Subs - George, Kennedy, Cosgrove, Rigg.


Referee - Charles Breakspear

Attendance - 3,402 (236 away fans)

Advertisement block