Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

CONTRACTS: Defender agrees stay until end of season

Defender commits to the Blues

24 November 2017

Carlisle United have today secured the services of defender Clint Hill until the end of the current season following an excellent first two-month period with the club for the experienced centre back.

Hill, 39, signed for the Blues on a short-term deal in September, having trained with Keith Curle and his squad through the early part of that month, and has since made 12 appearances for the club.

He scored his first goal in a blue shirt in last Saturday’s 1-0 away victory at Blundell Park.

Manager Keith Curle said: “Clint is enjoying his football and, at this stage of his career, that’s very important to him. He had a look at us before he signed his initial deal, and he was comfortable with what he saw, and that played a big part in him coming to us in the first place.

“He’s settled well, as we knew he would, and he’s become a huge part of the dressing room. The other players look up to him and respect him, and he’s doing what he can to help everybody along and advise them, using the vast bank of experience he has.

“The fans have obviously enjoyed watching his performances, and they’ve seen what he’s brought to the club. This is a move that suits everybody and we’re delighted that he’s agreed to stay with us.”

Chief Executive Nigel Clibbens said: "We're absolutely delighted Clint has agreed to extend his time with the club to the end of the season.

"He's made a big difference already. That’s testament to the quality he brings, but also to the commitment and desire he has to perform whenever he goes out on the pitch." 

Hill started his career as a youngster with Tranmere Rovers and went on to make over 150 appearances at Prenton Park.

Oldham Athletic snapped him up for a reported £250,000 fee in 2002 but a broken leg ended his season with the Latics just before Christmas that year.

A move to Championship outfit Stoke City followed and he spent five years at the Britannia Stadium where he battled his way into the side having recovered from an anterior cruciate ligament injury.

Neil Warnock swooped to capture his signature for Crystal Palace in January 2008 and helped the Eagles to a Championship play-off place at the end of that season.

He followed Warnock to Queens Park Rangers in the summer of 2010 and became a favourite at Loftus Road as he notched up over 200 appearances. He was handed the captain’s armband when Harry Redknapp took over the reins in 2013.

The big defender spent last season with Scottish Premier League giants Rangers and achieved hero status when he bagged a late equaliser in the March 2017 1-1 Old Firm draw with Celtic.

Advertisement block