Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

CUMBERLAND CUP: United 0 - 1 Workington

Report from the third round meeting at Penrith

2 November 2017

A young United side were knocked out of the Cumberland Cup at Frenchfield Park on Thursday evening as seasoned campaigner Phil McLuckie pounced at a second half set piece to put the Reds through to the next stage.

It was a tight game, with clear chances few and far between, but the Blues should have taken the lead with just ten minutes on the clock when Taylor was left unmarked at a corner. He put power behind his downward header but former-United stopper Tom Fowler readjusted to make a fantastic save.

Workington had their first sight of goal when Pattinson tried his luck from distance. It was a poor connection and his effort went well wide.

Carlisle created another good opening on 15 minutes when Salkeld bent his run from the left flank. He dropped a shoulder and went for the shot, but it was easy for Fowler to deal with.

The action stayed in midfield until midway through the half when Salkeld robbed possession in the centre circle as he made a loose pass his own. He strode forward and let fly from distance but it spun over the bar.

A good free kick delivery from Wilson deserved better when he swung a curler into the mix, and United were disappointed at the other end when a neat passing move ended with a hooked shot from Papa which whipped over the target.

The Reds ended the half on top and they weren't too far away when McDonald put Waterston behind the back four. His shot had power but it angled just the wrong side of the upright.

Waterston caused more problems when he beat the offside trap to get into the area in time added on for the half. Bacon raced off his line to close the angles but the striker was disappointed to see his attempted lob drop onto the top of the net.

The Reds sprinted out of the blocks at the start of the second half and Pattinson rattled the woodwork with a stunning shot which had Bacon well beaten.

Fowler produced another excellent stop at the other end when Kieron Olsen set himself to finish off a good Carlisle move with the game still finely in the balance.

Half chances were exchanged, with the target rarely troubled, until Workington got their lead when Phil McLuckie peeled off his marker for a regulation corner delivery. He didn't need to be asked twice and he guided a neat header past the stranded Morgan Bacon.

The Reds closed ranks and defended their one-goal advantage, and they could have extended their lead when Waterston twice found himself in good areas. Another intervention from the post and a scuffed shot prevented him from getting his name on the scoresheet.

United survived a late scare when a mix-up at the back almost cost them an own goal, and they couldn't quite find enough to get through the stubborn defence as Workington secured their place in round four with a disciplined display.



Workington - McLuckie (66)



Carlisle United - Bacon, Kelly, Olsen, Goldthorpe (Dixon 80), Taylor, Hutchinson, Cowburn (McCarron 68), Watson, Papa, Adewusi, Salkeld. Subs - Ashton, Brockbank, Miller.

Workington - Fowler, McLuckie, Mellen, Douglas, Hetherington (Harker 75), Earl (Holliday 83), Carter (Smith 63), McDonald, Waterston, Wilson, Pattinson. Subs - Joel, Rowntree.


Referee - Scott Taylor

Attendance - 201

Advertisement block