Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 3 Grimsby

2 January 2017

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 3 Grimsby

2 January 2017

Match report from the Grimsby game

Carlisle suffered their first home league defeat of the season as clinical Grimsby finishing proved to be the difference on what was a frustrating afternoon for the hosts.

The game took a while to get going as the sides cancelled each other out and the first chance of the day came from nowhere when Mills latched on to a deflected clearance 40-yards out. It opened up in front of him and his shot had to be saved as Gillespie dived full length to get there.

Grimsby stayed forward and a half clearance from the corner sat up nicely for Davies. He went for an early volley but it bent just wide of the upright when it came off Bogle as it made its way through a ruck of bodies.

The visitors looked sharp and Davies caused problems again when he bent a cross in from the right flank. Brisley and Raynes combined to smother it as Vernon tried to finish it off.

Carlisle tried to find a way through when Joyce robbed possession in midfield but Wyke and Adams were watched closely as they tried to pick a way past the stubborn defence.

A break fromUunited midway through the half opened things up as Adams spread play to Wyke. He held it up inside the area but the shot from Shaun Miller screwed over the bar.

United looked to settle and an excellent piece of play brought a good effort from Shaun Miller as Lambe and Wyke kept a high ball alive. It fell to the forward at a difficult angle and his snapshot was well saved by Henderson as it zipped off the surface.

The Cumbrians started to turn the screw and a fantastic passage of play brought the opening goal of the game as Kennedy flicked a lovely pass to Shaun Miller. His precise through ball left Wyke with just the keeper to beat and the big striker didn’t disappoint as he drilled his sixteenth of the season under the keeper.

The lead could have been doubled moments later when Joyce picked out Shaun Miller with another excellent first time pass. His cross found Wyke unmarked at the back post and his thundering header needed a touch from Henderson to put it over the bar.

Nicky Adams had a shot blocked and watched another sail over the bar as United kept the pressure on, but there was danger at the other end when Mills was given time to pick his cross. Boyce jumped highest but he couldn't get his close range header on target and the moment was gone.

Raynes went close at the other end as he guided a header back across the face of goal but it bounced past the post as Kennedy steamed in to try to finish it off.

Carlisle were on the front foot after the break and a cross from Adams was flicked by Shaun Miller at the near post. It had Kennedy interested until Henderson scampered off his line.

They were pegged back unexpectedly though when Bogle took advantage of some hesitant defending. He raced through at a tight angle but he was able to slide it into the back of the net as Gillespie came off his line.

United wasted a good chance on the hour when Lambe used pace to get past his man and into the box. He tried to take it on with the outside of his boot and the ball spun well wide much to the disappointment of the home crowd.

Wyke nodded over from a Lambe delivery as Carlisle looked to pick up the pace, but Grimsby also looked dangerous as they hit back on the break. They got their reward with 15 minutes left to play when Bogle doubled his account when he headed an inswinging corner into the net.

Carlisle should have equalised almost immediately when a high ball into the area pinged around. It was recovered twice, and Wyke put it back across the face of goal with the keeper at sixes and sevens. It looked an easy finish for Ibehre but he was off balance and Henderson scrambled to push the effort off the striker's knee away.

The hosts were light at the back and substitute Adi Yussuf gave them a mountain to climb as he broke through from nowhere. He had just the keeper to beat and he sent the away contingent wild with a very good strike.

Luck deserted the Cumbrians when Jamie Devitt ghosted onto a through ball late in the day. His clip took it past the keeper but it hit the inside of the post, ran across the line and was gratefully scooped up before a blue shirt could react.

United piled forward but Kennedy had a shot blocked and another deflected over the bar as Grimsby soaked up the pressure and held on to take the three points home.



Carlisle United - Wyke (31)

Grimsby Town - Bogle (48 & 74), Yussuf (78)



Carlisle United - Gillespie, T Miller (Ibehre 75), Raynes, Brisley, Gillesphey, Lambe (Asamoah 87), Joyce, Kennedy, Adams, S Miller (Devitt 56), Wyke. Subs - Crocombe, Ellis, Wright, McQueen.

Grimsby Town - Henderson, Davies, Andrew, Pearson, Disley, Bogle, Mills, Boyce (Gowling 71), Vernon (Yussuf 63), Collins, Comley. Subs - McKeown, Vose, Jackson, Venney, Bolarinwa.


Referee - Mr David Webb

Attendance - 6,865 (416 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account