Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Cheltenham 1 - 0 United

28 February 2017

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Cheltenham 1 - 0 United

28 February 2017

Report from the Tuesday evening away game

A poor playing surface made this one difficult viewing on a night when high balls into the area became the norm.

The Cumbrians dealt with the defensive test until a midfield mix-up left the back door open for the Robins to pounce late in the game.

An early run by Winchester for the home side brought a cross into the area which Wootton jumped to meet. He headed it at the target but Gillespie helped it on its way to safety as he protected his near post.

Wootton caused more problems moments later when he went past Brisley with the ball at his feet. His low cross skipped up awkwardly off the lumpy surface and Gillespie did well to palm it away as it bounced into his face.

A long punt forward created another opening for the hosts as Winchester pounced on a flick 20-yards from the target. He unleashed a powerful volley but Gillespie jumped high to tip it over the bar.

The home side asked more questions when Winchester rode a tackle tight by the corner flag. He stepped inside and thundered a fierce shot at the bottom corner but Gillespie dropped low to punch it past his post.

Carlisle announced their arrival into the game on 16 minutes when a Waring cross was half cleared. Mike Jones reacted first and his 30-yard piledriver smashed back off the bar with Brown well beaten.

A long period of midfield attrition was punctuated by a spin on the run from Waters. He did well to find a gap and Wootton was an inch away from nodding his clipped delivery into the waiting net.

United had another moment of panic just before the break when Pell drilled a 35-yard free kick past the wall. Gillespie had it under control until it took a bounce off the surface and a sudden change of direction. It spilled out of his grasp but the whistle blew for an unseen infringement before anyone could pounce.

Cheltenham pushed men forward and Waters beat the offside trap when he was played through from midfield. He went for shot but he wheeled away in disappointment as he sent it straight at the stopper.

Winchester pumped a wild shot over the bar and Wootton misjudged a ball into the box as the hosts enjoyed a busy spell ahead of half time. And Gillespie produced a wonder save as a Wootton toe poke from a nod down from Winchester inside the area headed for the back of the net. The big keeper somehow got there to scoop it away.

Early second half pressure from both sides brought deliveries into the box but it was Cheltenham who went closest when Storer got his boot over a rasping volley. It was heading wide so Wootton got his head in the way as he tried to find the target. It had plenty of power but it was always heading high.

Substitute Danny Wright scooped a shot over the bar when he got on the end of a cross from Holman, and the provider of that chance was wayward with his finishing when he let fly as he turned his marker just outside the box.

The game moved to midfield until an error from Jones allowed Dayton to cross with five minutes left to play. Gillesphey got in the way but his intervention served only to give Wright the easiest of finishes from very close range.



Cheltenham Town - Wright (85)



Cheltenham Town - Boyle (39)

Carlisle United - Proctor (90)



Cheltenham Town - Brown, Barthram, Storer (Dayton 83), Pell, Waters (Holman 61), Boyle, Wootton (Wright 61), Onoriase, Winchester, Plavotic, Davis. Subs - Kitscha, Cranston, Rowe, O'Shaugnessy.

Carlisle United - Gillespie, Liddle, Brisley, Gillesphey, Lambe (O'Sullivan 65), Bailey (Miller 77), Joyce, Jones, Adams, Waring (Ibehre 64), Liddle. Subs - Crocombe, Grainger, Devitt, McQueen.


Referee - Mr Andy Haines

Attendance - 2,433 (257 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account