Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

YOUTH: Young Blues fight back to claim amazing victory

Match report from the Port Vale game on Saturday

14 August 2017

Club News

YOUTH: Young Blues fight back to claim amazing victory

Match report from the Port Vale game on Saturday

14 August 2017

United’s youth team picked up their first victory of the season in dramatic fashion after a superb comeback victory.

The Young Blues found themselves 5-2 down with under ten minutes remaining, but a remarkable show of spirit saw them net four times in nine minutes to claim the three points.

After falling behind early on, Luke Lloyd levelled for the Cumbrians before Vale retook the lead before half-time.

The visitors raced into a 5-1 lead with just under half an hour remaining until some substitutions brought the hosts back into the game with Liam McCarron, Ceiran Casson and Josh Galloway reducing the deficit.

Alex Goldthorpe then brought the scores level from the penalty spot before Sam Adewusi’s deflected effort in injury time saw United claim the three points.

After a 1-1 draw with Wrexham on the opening day of the season, the Young Blues were keen to start strongly at home.

But they fell behind after 17 minutes - Vale’s midfielder having the time and space to advance be-fore unleashing an unstoppable shot into the top corner from 25 yards.

United were lucky not to fall further behind with Lee Ashton getting down well to hold a drilled effort before Goldthorpe’s timely intervention stopped a certain second with the Valiants’ attacker preparing to tap home.

And after weathering the storm the Blues levelled on 25 minutes as Lloyd held off the attentions of three defenders before slotting home from inside the area.

The game began to open up with the hosts disappointed to see penalty appeals waved away after a trip on Belchoir Papa while Vale came close after United’s Luke Taylor inadvertently diverted a shot past Ashton only to see the post come to his rescue.

It was the visitors, though, who would strike next as a free-kick hit the wall before falling kindly for a tap-in at the far post to ensure the Valiants went in ahead at the break.

They then added a third only two minutes after the interval from another free-kick - Hutchinson headed the initial delivery away but it was sent back with interest as a shot flew past the helpless Ashton.

Lloyd then had a glorious chance to pull the Blues back into the game but saw his low shot parried before Vale added a fourth thanks to another glorious long range strike.

A fifth came on 57 minutes as Vale’s centre back powered a header home from a corner and it looked to be game over for United.

But the introduction of three substitutes changed the game, with Liam McCarron pulling one back as he tapped home from close range after a fine run from Papa.

Any faint dreams of a comeback were then amplified when fellow substitute Casson drilled home from 20 yards out to give United a glimmer of hope.

Galloway then made a comeback a distinct possibility as he raced onto a long ball and forced the ball under the keeper from a tight angle.

The visitors could have wrapped the game up moments later, with a low shot across goal beating Ashton but ending up on the wrong side of the post.

Vale were made to pay for that miss when Adewusi was hauled down inside the area - the referee awarding a free-kick before being advised by his linesman that the foul had occurred inside the area - with Goldthorpe stepping up and slotting home.

But there were no celebrations for the Blues, with Darren Edmondson and Gavin Skelton’s side determined to claim all three points.

And they found the unlikeliest of winners when Adewusi cut inside and saw his skewed shot take a deflection before nestling in the bottom corner.

It was a comeback like no other, and handed the young Blues their first three points of the season.

United XI: Ashton; Brockbank (McCarron 61), Taylor, Hutchinson, Goldthorpe; Olsen, Adewusi, Miller (Watson 61); Cowburn (Galloway 61) Papa (Casson 77), Lloyd

Sub Not Used: Ward

Goals: Lloyd (25), McCarron (64), Casson (81), Galloway (84), Goldthorpe (90), Adewusi (90)

Next Up: Accrington Stanley v United, Saturday 19 August, kick off 11am

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account