Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

United 2 - 1 Newport

29 April 2017

United put it back in their own hands ...

United gave their fans plenty to shout about as they overcame an early setback to take the points from a game where they created a host of chances and never lost belief.

Carlisle were on the front foot immediately and a whipped cross from Lambe took a deflection as it headed towards Ibehre. Labadie jumped forward to hook the ball away.

United kept the pressure on and a half clearance gave Devitt time to pick his cross. He floated it perfectly and Ibehre was disappointed as it rolled down his shin and into the keeper's hands.

Lambe and Adams saw plenty of the ball through the early stages and the latter sent a low pass to the front stick as Proctor ran across his man. The striker stretched to get there but his touch sent the ball away from the target.

The Cumbrians were dangerous again when Gillesphey dropped a free kick from inside his own half to pick out Raynes inside the opposition area. He nodded it back across the face of goal but Pipe was on hand to sweep it away.

Newport defended in numbers as delivery after delivery rained into their box and they were rewarded for their resilience when they made their first attack of the day count when Samuel was dumped on the floor by Gillesphey. Sean Rigg stepped up to swing a driven free kick at the penalty spot and Micky Demetriou timed his run perfectly to meet it with a thundering header which went in off the underside of the bar.

Carlisle had to work hard to get back on the ball against a suddenly confident County side but a crossfield pass from Liddle lifted the mood as it gave Grainger time to cross. He struck it first time but O'Brien held his ground to make the clearance.

A through ball to Samuel caught Carlisle out as Newport used possession well to work a way through the heart of the United defence. His first touch took him wide and he scooped the ball into the side netting as he tried to hit it on the turn.

A string of home crosses signalled another increase in tempo from the hosts but the defence refused to buckle as they got to every ball first. The 20 minute spell before half time followed the same pattern, with Carlisle corners and crosses peppering the box, but they were almost done on the break when Randall chased a ball over the top. His cross just needed a touch but Liddle got to it first.

Carlisle thought they'd levelled the scores just before the break when Lambe and Devitt combined to give Proctor a sight of goal. The forward did everything right as he curled an excellent shot past Day's dive but it struck the underside of the bar and the keeper was able to recover and gather it in.

The Cumbrians stayed forward and Ibehre was next to have a go as he got on the end of another fine delivery. His header had goal written all over it until Day dived across to palm it away.

A corner from Adams created the first opening of the second half as Proctor used strength to get on the end of it. His header flew through a ruck of bodies but Day somehow got down to make the save.

Adams trotted across to the other side to take the resulting set piece and Ibehre made that one his own as he stood his ground. His header had power but it whisked the wrong side of the upright.

The lively Nicky Adams moved into a more central role as Joyce and Ibehre worked their way down the left flank and a high half clearance invited a shot on the volley. He put his laces through it and was disappointed to see it go wide.

Home pressure was finally made to tell when another dangerous corner pinged around inside the box. Jabo Ibehre was in no mood for messing about and he scored his fifth goal in five games with a thumping and accurate finish.

The game was turned on its head moments later when a lovely move, which included a one-two with Reggie Lambe, put Nicky Adams in space 28-yards from goal. He kept his eye on it, picked his spot, and put his side in front with a pinged effort which Day could do nothing about.

Joyce tried to get in on the action when he called for it as he was the one to stay deep for another incisive attack. It came his way and Day had to punch it over the bar as it threatened to kiss the roof of the net.

Day was in fine form again for the visitors when he reacted late to a snapshot from Ibehre. He got two hands to it and was relieved to see the rebound bounce off Proctor.

Nicky Adams tried his luck with another raker from distance and Day sighed in relief once more as he spilled it, only for Pipe to hook it clear before Ibehre could do anything with it.

The shooting masterclass continued as Lambe beat his man and went for the bottom corner, but Day was equal to it once more with another diving stop.

Demetriou wasn't too far away as he got the ball past the wall from a 25-yard free kick but he watched in agony as it shaved the outside of the post.

But Carlisle held their concentration as Newport tried to push men on and they went on to claim one of their biggest and most important wins of the season.



Carlisle United - Ibehre (58), Adams (60)

Newport - Demetriou (12)



Newport - Owen-Evans (89)



Carlisle United - Gillespie, Liddle, Raynes, Gillesphey, Lambe, Devitt, Joyce, Grainger, Adams (T Miller 90), Proctor (S Miller 76), Ibehre. Subs - Crocombe, Bailey, Tomlinson, O'Sullivan, G Waring.

Newport - Day, Butler, Labadie, Randall (Bennett 46), Samuel (Williams 45), Pipe, Owen-Evans, O'Brien, Rigg, Demetriou, Bird (John-Lewis 72). Subs - Bitner, Barnum-Bobb, Myrie-Williams, Nelson.


Referee - Mr David Webb

Attendance - 5,402 (306 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account