Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

United 1 - 0 Wycombe

24 September 2016

Match Reports

United 1 - 0 Wycombe

24 September 2016

Unbeaten run continues with great win ...

The fantastic Carlisle unbeaten run continued with a well-earned home victory over Wycombe courtesy of a second half Shaun Miller goal.

The best Football League start to a campaign dates back to 1989/90, when the Blues went on a ten-match unblemished start, and the class of 2016/17 are just one away from the impressive record as they took their own run to nine.

A cagey, wind-affected start saw both teams probe and United created a half chance when Adams bent a free kick from beside the corner flag into the box. Raynes got there but his header brought Blackman off his line before Wyke could get a touch.

A long ball forward from Gillesphey caused all kinds of problems, as Shaun Miller broke through, but he hesitated and Stewart was able to poke the ball away before the strike could be made.

Wycombe broke forward and a neat pass out to Thompson took him behind the back line. He cut inside and Raynes did well to close the gap and stop the shot.

Carlisle increased the tempo and a neat passing move found Shaun Miller with his back to goal. He spun on the spot but his shot took a deflection and that sent it well wide. Midfielder Jason Kennedy pulled away from his man for the corner delivery and he was disappointed to see his header drop beyond the angle of post and bar.

The Cumbrians started to edge on top and twice Pierre had to slide in to prevent Kennedy from completing a cross when he found yards on the right hand side. There was more great work from Joyce as he tracked back to win possession from Bloomfield and that proved to be the springboard for another attack. A pull back from Shaun Miller invited Kennedy to shoot, and he hit it well on the run, but it struck Thompson and screwed wide of the upright.

United kept the pressure on from the set piece and Kennedy went for precision instead of power when Wyke lined the ball up for him with the neatest of touches. Blackman dropped slowly to gather it up.

Carlisle asked most of the first half questions and another inch-perfect pass from Joyce took Wyke through two defenders and into the box. He tried to find the back stick but an outstretched boot stopped it at source.

Wycombe had a rare sight of the target just ahead of the break and they almost grabbed the lead as a half clearance sat up nicely for Bloomfield. He let one fly but his celebration was cut short as his volley rattled back off the post. Gillespie saved acrobatically from the Hayes follow-up but the flag had already been raised for offside.

United countered and strong work from Kennedy left him with the ball at his feet on the 18-yard line. He fed it through for Adams but it was slightly too strong and the moment was gone.

The second half took a while to get going but Carlisle weren't too far away when a Tom Miller throw pinged around inside the box. It eventually came to Raynes but his firm header squeezed just past the far post.

The Blues were lifted and they took the lead when Grainger sent a flighted ball down the left wing. Wyke was dumped to the floor but Shaun Miller ignored the calls for a free kick as he carried it forward. He drew Blackman off his line and bagged his second of the season with a lovely finish.

Carlisle held their shape and kept Wycombe at arm's length with some intelligent play, and they picked their moments to push forward as they controlled the middle areas of the pitch.

Striker Jabo Ibehre started a great move with 15 minutes left to play when he rode a challenge to find Jones on the move. Devitt took over and an overlap from Ibehre gave him time to try to pick his spot. Blackman was relieved to see the attempted chip drop just wide.

Wycombe struggled to find a way through but they went close late in the day when Kashket scythed through Grainger on the half way line. The referee ignored the shouts for a foul and there was suddenly a huge gap as Grainger stayed on the floor. Kashket exploited it and he was disgusted with himself as he bent a powerful drive onto the outside of the upright.

Ibehre forced Blackman into a diving save when he volleyed on the run moments after loud appeals for a penalty had been turned down in the home box, and Carlisle almost wrapped things up when Ibehre and Lambe exchanged passes to work their way into the area. Chest control from Lambe preceded a stunning volley which hit Blackman and curved wide. Tom Miller jumped highest for the corner and Blackman was excellent again as he reached high to tip it over.

There was a late scare as Wycombe won a corner in time added on when Gillespie punched twice to protect his goal, and Cowan-Hall flashed a poor effort wide as United battled to clear.

But the hosts regrouped and took the sting out of the game with some excellent game management which saw them through to their valuable three points.



Carlisle United - S Miller (57)



Carlisle United - Joyce (49), Jones (64)

Wycombe Wanderers - Jombati (12), Gape (71), Stewart (90)



Carlisle United - Gillespie, T Miller, Raynes, Gillesphey, Grainger, Kennedy, Joyce (Lambe 58), Jones, Adams, Wyke (Devitt 77), S Miller (Ibehre 66). Subs - Crocombe, Ellis, Brisley, McKee.

Wycombe Wanderers - Blackman, Jombati, Stewart, Pierre, Thompson, Hayes (Cowan-Hall 62), Bloomfield (McGinn 62), Wood, Harriman, Akinfenwa (Kashket 75), Gape. Subs - Richardson, Rowe, Freeman, De Havilland.


Referee - Mr Seb Stockbridge

Attendance - 4,354 (116 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account