Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Blackpool 2 - 2 United

17 September 2016

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

Carlisle were left stunned as they worked hard to build a two-goal second half cushion only to be undone as Blackpool battled back to grab a share of the spoils.

Blackpool started well but an early corner was easily cleared and former-Blue Brad Potts had a shot blocked as he tried to find space inside the area.

United created an excellent opening moments later when Jones spread it wide for Miller to cross. Raynes nodded it towards Ibehre and he was able to spin his man as he took it on his chest. The ball bounced awkwardly and Slocombe was relieved as the attempted volley bounced high and into his hands.

The home side broke quickly following the scare and a low delivery from Potts found Vassell on the move inside the area. He got his boot to it but he couldn't find the power to beat the keeper.

Blackpool came close again when Mellor was given room to cross as he crept out of midfield. Gnanduillet angled his run to the near post but his glanced header dropped into the side netting.

It was nip and tuck as space in midfield disappeared but Wyke had a half chance when a corner from Adams dropped deep. Raynes and Miller were in close attendance and the header from the big striker hit both before it bounced away to safety.

Carlisle picked up the pace and a through ball from Adams put Lambe into a good area. He was stopped in his tracks by Philliskirk but Grainger was there to pick up the loose ball. He opted to shoot but it spun off his boot and bent wide of the target.

The Seasiders came back into it as the half wore on and Gillespie did well to tip a stinging thunderbolt from Payne over the bar as it threatened to bulge the roof of the net. And it was relief all round when Aldred popped the header from the corner high into the stands.

Potts went close again when he nicked the ball off Jones in the packed middle section of the pitch, but he was greeted by ironic cheers from the United fans behind the goal when his shot on the run bent off towards the corner flag.

United started to get forward more and a long throw from Miller brought a deft flick from Raynes. Kennedy helped it on its way and Ibehre was set to shoot until Robertson jumped in the way.

A volley on the spin from Gnanduillet rattled into the side netting when he plucked a dropping ball out of the air with his toe, and Gillespie earned a huge round of applause from the fans behind his goal when he dived long to tip a rasping drive from Vassell wide.

And he earned a standing ovation moments later when he somehow stopped Aldred from stabbing home from very close range as the half cleared corner delivery was sent back into the box by Potts.

Gillespie had to show some football skills at the start of the second half when a back pass put him under pressure, but his clearance was the spring board for a decisive visiting attack as United got forward in numbers. Determination kept the ball alive and Ibehre caught Slocombe off guard with a high lob from 20 yards. That hit the bar as the keeper stumbled into the back of his own net and Charlie Wyke made it five for the season when he stayed alert to tap it into the gaping target.

The Cumbrians were lifted and substitute Luke Joyce unleashed a fine volley when a Miller cross was headed back into his path. Slocombe spotted it late but he reacted well to gather it in.

It was a short-lived reprieve though as Nicky Adams whisked a beauty of a free kick delivery into the mix. It was impossible for the defenders to deal with and Michael Raynes got there first with a header which bulleted into the bottom corner.

Any thoughts of being able to relax were very quickly set aside when Gnanduillet kept a high ball in play at the other end. His flick found Vassell and a crisp glance brought Blackpool right back into the game.

Scores were levelled when a long ball forward found Gnanduillet on the chase. He used strength to gain the upper hand and his finish left Gillespie with no chance as he caught his volley on the full.

Blackpool started to push forward and shots from distance had to be blocked as they looked for a way through. A late Nicky Adams free kick was too close to Slocombe to cause him too many problems, and a Raynes header almost nicked it for United when he put an Adams corner past the keeper. A defender was well placed on the line to hack it away.

Good work from Adams created space and he linked with Miller to get the ball into the box. Wyke back-heeled it but it was always heading past the post.



Blackpool - Vassell (60), Gnanduillet (74)

Carlisle United - Wyke (52), Raynes (58)



Blackpool - Payne (60)



Blackpool - Slocombe, Mellor, Taylor, McAlister, Robertson, Vassell, Potts, Aldred, Philliskirk (Matt 69), Payne, Gnanduillet (Daniel 85). Subs - Lyness, Aimson, Cullen, Yeates, Cain.

Carlisle United - Gillespie, T Miller, Raynes, Gillesphey (Ellis 46), Grainger, Lambe (Joyce 46), Jones, Kennedy, Adams, Ibehre (Brisley 66), Wyke. Subs - Crocombe, Penn, Devitt, S Miller.


Referee - Mr James Adcock

Attendance - 5,471 (2,752 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account