Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

YOUTH: United 1 - 4 Blackpool

2 October 2016

Club News

YOUTH: United 1 - 4 Blackpool

2 October 2016

Report from the Saturday youth game

University of Sunderland Journalism student Mark Donnelly was at the U18 game for us on Saturday afternoon and brings us this report ...

The Youth Team’s unbeaten run came to an end courtesy of a heavy home defeat against Blackpool on Satruday.

Max Brown had opened the scoring for the Young Blues early on, but the visitors were level before the break.

They then netted three times late on in the second half to wrap up the victory while consigning Darren Edmondson’s side to their first defeat of the season.

It was a positive start for the Cumbrians as they took the lead with only six minutes on the clock - Brown outmuscling his marker to get on to a long ball before coolly slotting home from inside the area.

And the same player had a chance to double the lead moments later, but the striker was unable to get a shot away after he had broken into the area.

Blackpool grew into the game but were struggling to create chances, with a couple of long range efforts flashing wide of the post and causing Morgan Bacon no problem.

But they eventually did find a way past the Carlisle stopper as a short corner routine saw the ball drilled into the area with a flick then taking it past Bacon.

The Tangerines continued to push forward and could have been ahead on the stroke of half-time as their striker managed to hook the ball around Bacon, with his team mate then unable to connect at the far post with the goal at his mercy.

United regrouped during the break and started the second half strongly - Max Cowburn seeing his shot from distance go narrowly wide.

Bacon was to be the busier of the two goalkeepers, however, making two fine saves in quick succession as Blackpool poured forward.

First he managed to parry a powerful effort from inside the area before he then acrobatically tipped over a shot after the visitors had found some space down the right.

The pressure eventually told, though, as Carlisle saw their defence breached with just over 15 minutes remaining as a teasing free-kick was met with a thumping header at the far post which left Bacon with no chance.

This buoyed Blackpool who committed men forward in search of a third, with Bacon again having to deny the Seasiders on two occasions as they found their way through the home defence.

A third eventually followed, with Blackpool’s front man able to squeeze the ball past Bacon from the tightest of angles.

And this was quickly followed by a fourth - with an audacious volley from distance flying past the Carlisle stopper.

Despite some late pressure, the Blues were unable to reduce the deficit and saw their unbeaten run come to a halt.

United: Bacon, Goldthorpe (Kelly-Hodgson), Taylor, Hutchinson, Breen, Adewusi (Kerr), Watson, Olsen, Salkeld, Brown, Cowburn (Lloyd). Subs not used: Wells, Dixon.

Goals: Brown (6)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account