Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Yeovil 0 - 0 United

25 March 2016

Tight game ends all square ...

Two hard to beat sides slugged it out on a hot Spring afternoon at Huish Park and eventually the draw was the fair result as both teams worked hard to keep things tight.

Carlisle showed first with a wicked first minute inswinging corner from Grainger and Darren Ward was called into action as it bent over the keeper’s outstretched arm. He held his ground on the line and hastily hooked the ball clear as Wyke raced in.

A long throw from Grainger caused more problems as he tried to find Ellis on the penalty spot. It bounced clear but Stacey was on hand to clip it back into the mix. Raynes jumped to meet it but his header was straight at the keeper.

It was a good start from the visitors and Hope did well when he dumped his man on the floor tight by the touchline. He crossed low but Ward judged it well and headed it clear.

Yeovil started to see more of the ball and a good touch from Compton half way inside the United half allowed him time to shoot. He connected well but Ellis took the sting out of it and Gillespie dropped low to gather.

An overlap from Laird had United stretched but Raynes recovered to make a vital block. He stuck with his man and his second intervention allowed the keeper to draw the ball in to his body.

The Cumbrians looked good on the counter and a back pass from Smith, which initially had away hearts racing, turned out to be a fantastic set-up as Gillespie unleashed a massive kick. Wyke chested it down for Kennedy and he spotted Hope making inroads on the edge of the box. Another deflected shot kept things easy for Krysiak.

The chances kept coming for United and another testing long throw from Grainger was nodded back for the unmarked Martin Smith. He went for the volley but he couldn't keep it down.

New arrival Jack Stacey produced the shot of the first half when Wyke controlled a Raynes clearance and popped it into his path. He took two touches and Krysiak had to show firm hands as a blistering effort threatened to creep under the bar.

United had a training ground corner routine to defend ahead of the break as the hooped shirts lined up to get something on a near post delivery. Miller, Joyce and Raynes converged to calm the moment down.

Yeovil went close on the stroke of half time when Nathan Smith sent a free kick into the danger area. Sokolik was up to meet it but he couldn't guide his header at the target.

A slow start to the second half brightened when a Miller cross was only half cleared. Martin Smith steadied himself and Krysiak had to watch closely as a crisp strike rattled towards his top corner.

The sides cancelled each other out for long periods, but a late run into the box from Lacey almost bore fruit as he tried to meet a dipping free kick. His header left Gillespie rooted to the spot but it was always going wide.

A long throw from Miller had interest from substitute Jabo Ibehre as he bent his run to meet the flight of the ball. His downward header skipped off the surface and whipped just past the post.

Chances were few and far between as defences remained on top through a tense second half, but results elsewhere meant United remained in touch with the ever elusive play-off places.



Yeovil - Dolan (83)

United - Smith (42), Miller (87)



Yeovil Town - Krysiak, Toser, N Smith, Dolan, Sokolik, Laird, Bird, Dickson, Compton (Lita 77), Goodship (Jeffers 58), Ward (Lacey 17). Subs - Weale, Dawson, Campbell, Bassett.

Carlisle United - Gillespie, Miller, Ellis, Raynes, Grainger, Joyce, Hope (Gillesphey 71), Kennedy, M Smith (Ibehre 61), Stacey (Asamoah 61), Wyke. Subs - Hanford, Atkinson, Comley, Thompson.


Referee - Mr Kevin Johnson

Attendance - 4,074 (264 away fans)

Advertisement block