Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Dagenham 0 - 0 United

8 March 2016

Report from the Dagenham away game

Carlisle created chances and had the bulk of the possession on a frustrating night in Dagenham as they ultimately shared the points having done enough to have made it more.

A long throw from Miller followed a determined run from Kennedy in the first minute but a goalmouth scramble ended with a hurried clearance from Boucaud.

The Daggers responded with a long ball forward and Cash and Hemmings had swipes as it pinged around inside the area. A high bounce brought a header from Cash but Gillespie was happy to watch it go wide.

United started to boss the midfield and a clipped pass from Grainger found Wyke with his back to goal. Muldoon got in the way but Joyce was there to volley from distance as he beat Doidge to the ball. O'Brien shifted his feet and made a comfortable save.

A run from Passley brought a fizzed cross which Raynes had to clear and Joyce helped it forward for Hope to chase. He still had plenty to do and his shot on the run bent wide of the target.

The action shifted from end to end as it settled into an entertaining, fast pace and another dangerous long throw from Miller evaded everyone as Raynes tried to get a touch. Ibehre saw it late and it bounced off his toe and into O'Brien's hands. 

A wild shot from Cash spun over the bar as Dagenham struggled to get forward with purpose and the visitors had a goal chalked off for offside at the other end as Wyke followed an acrobatic overhead kick with a diving header which was cancelled out by the late raised flag.

Carlisle looked like the team with the ideas and they thought they'd scored when Hope skipped into space on the right. His shot took a deflection and that was enough to send it behind for a corner.

Vision from Grainger sparked another attack as he sent a raking long pass right at Wyke. He took two touches and delivered it early but Boucaud had recovered in time to stop Ibehre from smashing it in.

A loose pass from Muldoon presented Joyce with options and he wasted no time in getting it to the unmarked Ibehre. His volley was instinctive but a challenge from Dikamona took the sting out of the shot and O'Brien fell gratefully to gather.

The good visiting work was almost undone on the half hour when a quick throw caught them light at the back. Passley broke clear and it needed firm hands from Gillespie to turn a fierce shot behind.

The Cumbrians dominated possession and they should have had their reward ahead of the break when Kennedy went in for a strong tackle. A ricochet put Wyke clean through but O'Brien stayed big to save with his feet. Miller worked hard to put the loose ball back into the mix but the home stopper was there again as a Wyke volley came through legs and into his midriff.

Dagenham kicked off the second half in lively mood and they were almost in front with their first attack when Doidge found the ball at his feet just 16 yards out. He connected well with a low drive but Gillespie covered his angles and made an excellent save.

The hosts came again and Passley whipped a dangerous cross into the area from deep as he found a yard. Doidge was there with a thundering header and Gillespie was relieved to see it shave the top of his bar.

The tempo remained high as crosses rained in at both ends and Carlisle were next to go close when Grainger cut inside from the left flank. He let one go on his right foot and O'Brien could only parry it out. Kennedy got to it first but Dikamona lunged across to make a timely block.

A wicked corner found Ellis on the leap but his goal-bound header was stopped on the line as it smashed into a defender. Ibehre had a snapshot but Dagenham cleared before any damage could be done.

The sides exchanged shots without troubling the target courtesy of Muldoon, McClure, Hope and Miller but the next clear-cut chance didn't come until the 80th minute when substitute Derek Asamoah called for a pass from Hope. It came his way and his grass-cutting effort from the edge of the box fizzed just past the post.

The last chance of the night fell to the Cumbrians as Hope did everything right with a lovely run. His cross took the back four out of the game but Ibehre was unsighted and he beat the floor in frustration as it squirmed through his legs and bobbled harmlessly away.



Dagenham & Redbridge - O'Brien, Passley, Dikamona, Boucaud, Doidge (McClure 68), Muldoon, Hemmings, Worrall, Cash (Hawkins 67), Hoyte, Widdowson. Subs - Cousins, Cureton,  Chambers, Jones, Shepherd.

Carlisle United - Gillespie, Miller, Ellis, Raynes, Atkinson, Hope, Kennedy, Joyce, Grainger (Asamoah 76), Wyke (Gilliead 82), Ibehre. Subs - Hanford, Hery, Archibald-Henville, Rigg, McQueen.


Referee - Mr Brendan Malone

Attendance - 1,695 (212 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account