United striker offered new contract
United manager Keith Curle revealed at his post-match press conference on Saturday that striker Charlie Wyke is close to putting pen-to-paper on a new two-and-a-half year deal which will keep him at Brunton Park until the summer of 2018.
Wyke, 23, signed for United during the January 2015 transfer window and scored six goals in 21 appearances last season. He has an impressive nine-goal haul from his 16 appearances so far this season, including a career first hat-trick against Welling United in December, and he received high praise for his performances from the manager following his latest strike against Accrington on Saturday.
“Charlie knows what I think of him,” Curle said. “I’ve offered him a new two-and-a-half year contract and he’s agreed to sign it.
“Now it’s just a case of dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s and he will then be able to continue his development and progress with us. I expect that to be sorted and finalised on Monday or Tuesday.”
Speaking about his inclusion in the starting line up at the weekend, he said: “Charlie had taken a knock before the Everton game on his shoulder, so he was a doubt for that anyway.
“He’s been having injections so he also missed starting the York game. When it came to Everton, I wanted to go with pace up front as I felt that would cause them problems. Obviously he was disappointed that he wasn’t involved but he showed us on Saturday that he doesn’t let that affect him.
“He works well alongside Jabo [Ibehre] and he gives us real presence and options up front. This is good news for him and it gives him the chance to really focus on his game and on establishing himself within the squad and the team.”
Wyke came through the youth ranks with Middlesbrough and enjoyed loan spells with Kettering, Hartlepool and Wimbledon following the signing of a three-year professional deal at the Riverside in 2011. He spent the first four months of the 2014/15 season on loan at Hartlepool where he scored four goals in his 14 appearances.