Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: United 0 - 2 Rochdale

3 December 2016

Club News

MATCH REPORT: United 0 - 2 Rochdale

3 December 2016

Report from the FA Cup second round fixture

A wicked deflection and a late goal were the difference between the sides on Saturday afternoon but it was Rochdale who progressed as they defended solidly and made the most of their moment of luck.

A huge free kick from deep from Brisley had Rochdale stretched early in the piece as Raynes kept the half clearance alive on the edge of the area. A Lambe cross was blocked, but a poke from Joyce almost fell to Kennedy as he burst through. Canavan did well to hook the bouncing ball free.

Another free kick, this time from Adams, brought the big men forward and Raynes was involved again as he jumped high to nod it. It bounced awkwardly but Logan threw an arm out to deal with it before it fall over his line.

Set pieces came thick and fast as the back line struggled to deal with Wyke and a rolled set-up from Adams at a 35-yard free kick invited Grainger to thunder it. He caught it well but it was too close to the keeper.

Carlisle stayed on the front foot and an inswinging Grainger corner caused all kinds of problems when Wyke flicked it on at the front stick. Brisley arrived late but it had just too much pace on it and he couldn't quite finish it off.

Rochdale announced their arrival in the game on the quarter hour when Rafferty pulled wide on the overlap. He cut inside and went for the top corner but his left-footed effort was right at Gillespie.

And the United stopper was at his best moments later when Rafferty curled a beauty of a cross into the six-yard box. It hit a thigh and spun perfectly for Davies to shoot but Gillespie spread himself to make an unbelievable block.

It was dangerous stuff from the visitors and they went close again when another Rafferty cross was parried by Gillespie. Canavan had the goal at his mercy but his volley lacked conviction and it bobbled harmlessly wide.

Both sides looked dangerous and it was Carlisle who asked the next question as Wyke held the ball up for Lambe to cross. Jason Kennedy was there but his attempt at a cute header took the ball onto the roof of the net.

Henderson popped a header wide at the back post as Rochdale came again, but a slick move from United involving Jones, Grainger and Adams brought neat control from Kennedy as he stole into the box. His lob took Logan out of it but the offside flag went up as the ball smacked back off the post.

Carlisle turned the football on ahead of the break, with some neat one-touch passing, but a mistake from Jones almost let Henderson go clean through at the other end. Good tracking back forced the corner as a rasping volley from Davies was deflected behind by Grainger.

A long throw from Tom Miller had Rochdale in panic mode with just seconds on the second half clock, but frantic defending kept the blues shirts at bay.

Lady luck shone brightly on the visitors on 48 minutes when Davies shielded a ball forward with his back to goal. He let one fly as he spun on the spot and a wicked deflection left Gillespie with no chance.

Henderson twisted and turned as he tried to find a way to extend the lead, but he hesitated too long and Brisley was able to clear when the cross went behind the advancing front line.

Manager Keith Curle went for a double substitution and it almost had an immediate impact when Wyke picked Shaun Miller out with a flighted pass. The forward beat his man but his cross had too much on it.

A nod down from Tom Miller was just too far in front of Wyke as home pressure started to mount, and Wyke smashed a 19-yard volley wide moments after being picked out by the pass of the day from Jamie Devitt.

Rochdale held their shape well as Carlisle looked to the work the final third, and more luck fell their way as every ball into the area eventually sat nicely for a red shirt to clear.

The visitors nearly wrapped things up when Tom Miller was boxed in close to the corner flag with the minutes ticking away. Bunney robbed possession and made a run for the box, and his shot grazed the outside of the post with Gillespie well beaten.

United had half chances through the closing stages but Rochdale kept things organised as they secured their place in the next round with a killer blow, delivered late, by substitute Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.



Rochdale - Davies (48), Mendez-Laing (90)



Rochdale - Canavan (35)



Carlisle United - Gillespie, T Miller, Raynes, Brisley (Asamoah 82), Grainger, Lambe (Devitt 59), Kennedy (S Miller 59), Joyce, Jones, Adams, Wyke. Subs - Crocombe, Ellis, Gillesphey, McKee.

Rochdale - Logan, Rafferty, Canavan (McNulty 46), Lund, Camps, Rathbone, Thompson, Keane, Davies (McGahey 78), Bunney (Mendez-Laing 87), Henderson. Subs - Lillis, Noble-Lazarus, Morley, Odelusi.


Referee - Mr Mark Haywood

Attendance - 4,426 (417 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account