Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

United 2 - 1 Port Vale

9 August 2016

Match Reports

United 2 - 1 Port Vale

9 August 2016

Confident display secures progression ...

United booked their place in Wednesday night's EFL Cup second round draw with a dominant and confident display which was topped off with some very well taken goals.

Carlisle looked lively from the off as they hunted in packs and they had their visitors on the back foot at every turn with their no-nonsense approach.

A long throw from Tom Miller welcomed football back to Brunton Park and it was almost a goal within the first minute when it bounced up for Ellis to head. He had to generate the power and it fell nicely for Alnwick to gather.

The Cumbrians thought they'd taken the lead on five minutes when Tom Miller clipped the ball forward for Shaun Miller to chase. He beat his man to the touch and his cut back took the keeper out of the equation. Wyke pounced to apply the finishing touch but Mac-Intosch did enough to deflect it behind.

A well-timed tackle from Jones set United on another forward run when he robbed possession 30 yards out. Adams asked for it and his first touch was a shot which had to be blocked. Grainger followed up but Wyke was on his heels and Alnwick pulled the ball safely into his chest.

Carlisle held the territory as Vale sat deep for long periods of the first half but they got away with what looked like a clear shout for a penalty when Raynes was pulled back inside the area when he challenged for a high ball. The referee ignored the appeals but the home side regrouped and immediately pushed forward again.

Patience was followed by a moment of explosion from Adams when he bent a run and crunched a shot at the top corner. A deflection fell to Tom Miller and his intelligent nod down was swept into the back of the net by the alert Charlie Wyke.

It was all about United and they tested the defence again when Grainger dropped a deep free kick into the six yard box. A finger was needed as Shaun Miller arrived late and unmarked.

Lambe showed pace and skill as he ghosted past two on the right flank but he was frustrated when his cross bent behind his supporting strike force.

The Valiants finally showed as an attacking force on 36 minutes when Kelly carried the ball out of his own half. His options were limited but it was a decent long range effort which dropped over the bar.

Carlisle looked the more likely and a wonderful pass from Jones took Shaun Miller one-on-one with Alnwick. It was a tight angle and his attempt at a dink into the far corner dropped just wide of the upright.

The home lead was doubled just ahead of the break when Wyke forged his way into the area leaving yellow shirts in his wake. A toe poke of a tackle set it up nicely for Shaun Miller and he didn't disappoint with a measured finish into the waiting net.

A double substitution brought more in the way of impetus for the visitors as JJ Hooper and Jerome Thomas came into the fray and a scramble in the Carlisle box from the first ball forward saw both get involved as they tried to give their fans something to shout about.

And they were right back in it on 51 minutes when a heavy touch in midfield from Joyce was pounced on by Hooper. His pass forward left Grant with time to make a choice and he brought the away fans to their feet with a neat bottom corner finish. 

Carlisle weren't about to be bullied and they dusted themselves down to quickly get back on the front foot. Another long throw from Tom Miller found Adams in space but he was left with his head in his hands as a powerful shot flew just wide.

A deflected cross brought a cheeky back heel from Kennedy as he showed first inside the area but it was the side netting which bulged as Alnwick flapped at thin air. Reggie Lambe scuffed a wild shot over the bar from distance as United kept the pressure on but there was another scare at the other end when Mbamba let fly from a tight angle. Gillespie was able to watch in comfort as it smashed into the advertising hoardings.

Joyce clipped a lovely cut back from Lambe over the bar as the hosts dealt with everything Vale had to offer and they were greeted with a round of applause as their thoughts turned to the second round draw when the final whistle blew.



Carlisle United - Wyke (27), S Miller (41)

Port Vale - Grant (51)



Port Vale - Knops (30), Grant (58), Mac-Intosch (69)



Carlisle United - Gillespie, T Miller (Atkinson 63), Raynes, Ellis, Grainger, Lambe, Jones, Joyce, Adams, S Miller (Kennedy 70), Wyke. Subs - Crocombe, Gillesphey, Penn, McKee, Brough. 

Port Vale - Alnwick, Purkiss, Mac-Intosch, Smith, Grant, Mbamba (Saleiro 73), Kelly (Thomas 46), de Freitas (Hooper 46), Knops, Foley, Forrester. Subs - Boot, Tavares, Pereira, Streete. 


Referee - Chris Kavanagh

Attendance - 3,363 (225 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account