Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

United 1 - 0 Plymouth

13 August 2016

Match Reports

United 1 - 0 Plymouth

13 August 2016

Stylish United register impressive win ...

Manager Keith Curle went for an unchanged side for the visit of Plymouth Argyle and it was more of the same from a team which has knitted together well across all areas of the pitch as they worked their way to a well deserved first league win of the season.

United were on the attack from the kick off and Shaun Miller signalled his intent with a shot from the edge of the box from a Wyke nod down. It was blocked, as was the follow-up delivery from Lambe when he tried to pick up the pieces.

Carlisle came again and Adams put Grainger on the overlap in a dangerous area. His cross found Wyke but the offside flag went up as he nodded it over the bar.

A half clearance from a Tom Miller throw was recycled by Grainger and Raynes, who had stayed forward from the original set piece, found Shaun Miller with his back to goal. The forward spun and instinctively smashed it, but he couldn't keep it down.

More excellent work from Shaun Miller, this time on the left flank, took him past his man as he made for the penalty area. A low cross appeared to invite a shot from Wyke but he opted to take a touch and the moment was gone.

A rasper over the bar from distance from Carey showed that Plymouth weren't about to roll over, and a free kick from deep from the same player had to be dealt with as first Raynes and then Jones combined to get it clear.

Team captain Danny Grainger was next to try his luck and he was a whisker away when he strode unchallenged through the midfield area. He wound his left boot up and McCormick was relieved to see it skip off the surface and whip just past the upright.

Lambe, Miller and Joyce switched the play from left to right high up the pitch as Carlisle grew in stature and Grainger crossed early for the big men to challenge. Raynes got there but his header was always rising high.

Pace and movement from the home side caused all kinds of problems, as United enjoyed long periods in the opposition half, with deliveries from wide keeping the back four on their toes.

Nicky Adams received a rousing round of applause on the half hour when he nutmegged two players to get into the box. He tried to pick out Wyke but good defending stopped the striker from shooting.

Lambe and Adams continued to pull strings and the Carlisle persistence was made to count when Jones found Grainger on the overlap. His initial cross was cleared but it fell nicely for the unmarked Reggie Lambe 18-yards out. He didn't need to be asked twice and a powerful shot flew into the bottom corner.

The lead was almost doubled ahead of the break when Adams was allowed to run unchecked to the edge of the area. He kept his head over the ball but wheeled away in disappointment as it whisked just past the post.

A teaser of a corner from Grainger was well dealt with by Bulvitis as Raynes and Ellis tried to get a touch. Plymouth broke as they bundled it out of their area but they couldn't make any headway as the organised Carlisle defence quickly shut the door.

A 40-yard run from Lambe brought roars of appreciation from the crowd and his cross at pace had Shaun Miller more than interested. He opened his legs and did everything he could to try to get a touch before the ball skipped harmlessly away across the face of the area.

Former-United loanee Jake Jervis came off the bench to nod over the bar with 15 minutes left to play, and Ibehre was unlucky at the other end when he found the ball at his feet. He was off balalnce and his toe poke was easy for McCormick to gather.

Plymouth sparked into life late in the day but they were denied a goal when Gillespie went long to palm a curler from Jervis back into the mix. Gary Miller was there for the second ball but captain Danny Grainger somehow twisted his body to make an unbelievable block.

Ibehre hit the bar from a wicked Adams free kick in time added on, and that was that as the Cumbrians registered their first league victory of the campaign in some style.



Carlisle United - Lambe (37)



Carlisle United - Grainger (71)

Plymouth Argyle - Threlkeld (37), Songo'o (53), Smith (90)



Carlisle United - Gillespie, T Miller, Raynes, Ellis, Grainger, Lambe (Kennedy 82), Joyce, Jones, Adams, Wyke (Devitt 73), S Miller (Ibehre 70). Subs - Crocombe, Atkinson, Gillesphey, Penn.

Plymouth Argyle - McCormick, G Miller, Sawyer, Songo'o, Bulvitis, Goodwillie (Jervis 70), Spencer, Carey, Bradley, Threlkeld (Donaldson 73), Ijaha (Smith 46). Subs - Slew, Purrington, Rooney, Dorel.


Referee - Mr Andy Haines

Attendance - 5,129 (362)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account