United 3 - 2 Barnet

Asamoah brace sinks persistent Bees ...

United had to dig deep to get their first home victory of the season as a big visiting side caused problems with a barrage of set piece deliveries and long throws which had the home back line stretched.

Carlisle started at a blistering pace and they took the lead with just two minutes on the clock when Miller jumped to meet a free kick from deep from Grainger. His header had power and Stephens could do nothing as it dropped into the back of his net.

Barnet responded with a run of three corners, punctuated by a half-hearted penalty appeal when Akinde tumbled in the box, and the hosts got away with it when a near post flick found Yiadom on his own. He had an empty net to aim at but his touch was weak and Gillespie made the save on the line.

It was high tempo stuff and a corner at the other end brought determination from Brough as he linked with Hery. The midfielder moved to the edge of the box to take the return pass and he went close with a fizzing shot which rushed just over the angle of post and bar.

The Bees used their height as they sent more set pieces into the danger area and Akinde was allowed to run free when a long ball spun under Joyce. He shot for the bottom corner but Gillespie was well placed to scoop it up.

Carlisle doubled their lead when Derek Asamoah sprung the offside trap to go one-on-one with Stephens. He went round the keeper, hesitated, beat him again and then calmly stroked it into the far corner.

Barnet looked to get themselves back into the game and they went close when Vilhete put his boot through a loose ricochet from another testing corner. It was heading into the onion bag until Grainger spread himself to make a vital block. 

The Bees went close again from the next delivery when it bounced off Gash and bobbled across the face of goal. It took Akinde by surprise and he reacted late as it bobbled harmlessly away.

United looked under pressure and a Dembele header bounced onto the line from the underside of the bar as he leaped to send it through bodies. Miller had to be sharp as he jumped across to clear. 

The visiting goal eventually came from another high ball when Bira Dembele arrived with pace and purpose. He caught it sweetly and it flew unhindered into the top corner.

Carlisle were pegged back to level terms just two minutes later when Gambin beat his man on the left flank. He curled a lovely ball to Michael Gash and Gillespie could only watch as the header stung his hands before it crossed the line.

Barnet tails were up and Akinde appeared to be through when Gillespie raced off his line as half time approached. A touch from the striker took the stopper out of the game and Miller had to recover before the open goal could be claimed.

United spirits were lifted ahead of the break when Hery and Thompson combined to get the ball into the box. Kennedy showed first but his header was always going high.

A deflected Brough shot kicked off the second period as Carlisle sought to reimpose themselves, but an Akinde toe poke was ruled out for offside at the other end as another good ball into the mix brought a fruitless close range finish. 

Barnet should have taken the lead on 51 minutes when Raynes hesitated in possession right on the edge of his own area. Akinde took it off his toe and had two players in support, but he was left with explaining to do as he wasted the opening with a wayward shot.

The Bees were buzzing and they knocked loudly on the door when they picked up another loose ball in midfield. Togwell had a shot blocked as he went for it from distance and Gillespie had to save with his feet as Yiadom tried to snaffle up the loose pieces.

It hadn't been the best of afternoons for the Cumbrians but they went in front again on 64 minutes when Joyce sliced Barnet open with a lovely pass. McQueen took it on and his pass left Asamoah with the simple task of doubling his tally for the day from close range.

Togwell was a millimetre away with a 28 yard pop as Barnet pushed forward again and McQueen was off his bearings at the other end when he angled into the area. He had two unmarked men to service but it was a heavy touch and the moment was gone.

N'Gala hit the bar for a second time as the high deliveries continued to cause anguish, and Gillespie had to parry from McLean when he tried to squeeze it through from distance. Gillespie then had to back track and tip it over when the same player flicked a long throw high and at the roof of the net.

McLean, Weston and Akinde had efforts cleared as Barnet threw men forward but Carlisle had done enough as they made it back to back victories in the league.



United - Miller (2), Asamoah (19, 64)

Barnet - Dembele (29), Gash (31)



United - Gillespie (90)



Carlisle United - Gillespie, Miller, Raynes, Grainger, Thompson (McQueen 59), Brough (Osei 77), Hery (Dicker 67), Kennedy, Joyce, Ibehre, Asamoah. Subs - Hanford, Sweeney, Balanta, Rigg.

Barnet - Stephens, Johnson, Dembele, N'Gala, Yiadom, Weston, Akinde, Vilhete (Tomlinson 67), Gambin, Togwell (Muggleton 79), Gash (McLean 67). Subs - McKenzie-Lyle, Hoyte, Nelson, Champion.


Referee - Mr Nigel Miller

Attendance - 4,925 (132 away fans)
Read Time: 5 mins