Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stevenage 0 - 1 United

3 October 2015

First clean sheet earns the win ...

Carlisle made it back to back away victories for the first time in just over two-and-a-half years with another impressive performance against struggling Stevenage.

Early pressure in midfield from United took Jason Kennedy away from Ogilvie in the centre circle. He carried it forward at pace but his low cross was hooked clear before Asamoah could have a say.

A foul on Gillesphey as Boro tried to clear their lines brought a whipped free kick from Grainger and Sweeney was a whisker away from applying the finishing touch.

A second free kick within the space of two minutes invited Grainger to shoot and it needed a firm deflection from the wall to divert it away.

Stevenage struggled to create anything of note as they wasted opportunities from corners and Joronen was forced into a parried save when Asamoah broke from another cleared set piece. He skipped past two and McQueen was there to take over with a first time shot from 14 yards. The keeper saw it late but he managed to punch it away.

Carlisle continued to look the more likely and a poor ball out of defence allowed Dicker to send Grainger on the overlap. His early near post cross had to be volleyed away as McQueen arrived late in the area.

A fantastic 40-yard pass from Dicker picked Asamoah out on the edge of the box but a heavy touch allowed Joronen to come off his line and gather.

The home side showed as an attacking force on 24 minutes when Conlon played a series of passes to make his way to the edge of the box. He tried to thread it into the bottom corner but Gillespie dived low to make the save.

The game found a good flow and United carved their way through the Boro back line when McQueen stepped in from wide. Sweeney took over and a whisked cross was met on the full by Asamoah. It was a difficult chance and he could only guide it over the bar.

Vision from Sweeney with a perfect 40-yard pass to McQueen gave the wing back time to control the ball before sending it into the box. Asamoah got there but he was disappointed to see his header drop just past the upright.

A weak shot from Loza from an incisive Schumacher pass suggested there was better to come from Boro and they should have taken the lead just before the break when Miller bundled Williams to the floor inside the area. The big striker dusted himself off to take it but Mark Gillespie repeated his Liverpool spot kick heroics with an excellent save.

Boro mounted the first attack of the second half when Ben Kennedy clipped it in from wide. Conlon jumped high but he couldn't keep his header down.

A long ball forward then released Loza to go up against the in-form United keeper and another good save prevented a stinging shot from angling into the top corner.

Carlisle responded with a lightning quick break from McQueen as he went on a run from his own half. Gilliead took over and Joronen could only push it into the mix as a shot from a tight angle caused him problems. Kennedy picked up the loose ball and fed it back for Joyce, but he couldn't keep his shot down.

A switch to 4-4-2 for United took Grainger out wide and he was involved as he linked with Asamoah to put Kennedy in space. The chance was difficult and Joronen was able to watch it in comfort.

A late Grainger free kick was half cleared as Carlisle switched formation in search of a winner and a deflected Kennedy effort brought everyone forward for the corner. A wicked delivery eventually fell to Miller and he made it four for the season with a scuffed volley which bounced and spun its way over the line.

Gilliead had a half chance to wrap things on 90 minutes but it was a tight angle and the keeper was well positioned.

United defended well through added time to take their first clean sheet of the campaign, and another well earned three points, back up the M6.



United - Miller (82)



Stevenage - Conlon (48)



Stevenage - Joronen, Hughes, Schumacher, Williams (Akinyemi 75), Parrett (McCombe 86), Wells, Henry, Loza (Whelpdale 65), Ogilvie, Conlon, B Kennedy. Subs - Day, Franks, Hitchcock, Jebb.

Carlisle United - Gillespie, Miller, Raynes, Gillesphey, McQueen (Hery 74), Dicker (Archibald-Henville 65), Joyce, Grainger, J Kennedy, Sweeney (Gilliead 60), Asamoah. Subs - Hanford, Atkinson, Rigg, Thompson.


Referee - Mr Andy Davies

Attendance - 2,999 (352 away fans)

Advertisement block