Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

YOUTH: United 3 - 2 Tranmere (aet)

5 November 2015

Club News

YOUTH: United 3 - 2 Tranmere (aet)

5 November 2015

Result and report from the FA Youth Cup game against Tranmere

Carlisle United progressed to the second round of the FA Youth Cup after a spirited comeback against Tranmere Rovers.

After falling behind to Tolani Omotola’s 11th minute strike, the Blues equalised two minutes later through Jordan Holt.

There were no more goals to be found in normal time, but Tranmere retook the lead in the second half of extra time through Tom Williams’ header.

But United weren’t finished yet as Kieran Hall played super sub, grabbing two goals in five minutes to send Carlisle through.

The Cumbrians entered this game full of confidence, after winning four games on the bounce, but were faced with a Tranmere side riding high at the top of their league.

Rovers began brightly and had the first chance of the game after only ten minutes when a corner found its way to Callum Lucy who drilled wide from 20 yards out.

A minute later and the visitors took the lead. Williams did well to seize on a loose ball deep in Carlisle territory and he slid in Omotola who slotted past Morgan Bacon from close range.

Falling behind seemed to spark the Blues into life, and they were level after 13 minutes. A quick break saw Cameron Salkeld set free down the right and his cross found Holt who fired across goal to level the tie.

The Blues were in the ascendancy and had a great chance to take the lead after 19 minutes as Salkeld and Holt teamed up again, with the former feeding the latter only to see him put his effort wide of the near post.

Salkeld was proving a lively presence, and after his run took him past three Tranmere defenders and into the area, only a heavy touch stopped him from a getting a shot away.

After absorbing a great deal of Carlisle pressure at the end of the first half, the visitors came out the blocks quickly after the break and almost took the lead within a minute of the restart. A through ball put Omotola one-on-one with Bacon, but the Carlisle stopper did well to deny his placed effort.

Tranmere stopper Patrick Rutter was called into action moments later as a long throw from Cuan Hurley caused panic in the visitors’ area with the ball eventually falling to Joe Robson. His drilled effort was tipped wide by the goalkeeper.

Omotola threatened again just before the hour mark as he found time and space in the area which allowed him to turn and shoot. Again, though, his effort was dealt with well by Bacon. 

Chances were at a premium in the closing stages, meaning the game headed into extra time as both teams struggled to break each other down.

The visitors had two chances within a minute of extra time starting, with Samuel Ilesanmi’s powerful effort headed over by Douglas, before Jack Fleming’s header from the resultant corner crept wide of the far post.

Set pieces were proving an effective means of attack for both teams, with Matt Douglas heading a free-kick wide for the Blues before teammate Robson saw his effort from a corner hacked clear on the line.

As the tie ticked into the second half of injury time, and with penalties looming, Tranmere took the lead when James Hunter’s corner was met with a thumping Williams header which found the top corner.

Similarly to their opening goal however, the lead was to be short-lived for Tranmere as Carlisle equalised with six minutes remaining. Hurley’s long throw was nodded on by Douglas and Hall arrived to flick his header past Rutter to restore parity.

And Hall was to prove the hero in the dying seconds when he grabbed a winner. After substitute Max Brown’s shot was parried by Rutter, Bradbury picked up the rebound and teed up Hall for the simplest of tap-ins.

The Blues held on for the remaining seconds to secure progression to the second round, where they will face Doncaster Rovers.

United: Bacon, Hurley, Pearson, Quigley (Breen 79), Douglas (C), Groves (Hall 74), Salkeld, Robson, Holt, Taylor (Brown 109), Bradbury
Subs Not Used: McCue, Williams
Goals: Holt (13), Hall (114, 119)



United - Holt (13), Hall (114, 119)

Tranmere - Omotola (11), Williams (108)



Carlisle United - Bacon, Hurley, Pearson, Quigley (Breen 79), Douglas, Groves (Hall 74), Salkeld, Robson, Holt, Taylor (Brown 109), Bradbury. Subs - Williams, McCue.

Tranmere Rovers - Rutter, Hulley, Hunter, Lucy, Williams, Fleming, Croughan (Clarke 105), Askew, Omotola, Cringle, Ilesanmi. Subs - Wharton, Heron, Devine, Solomon-Davies.


Referee - Ms Lucy Oliver

Attendance - 164

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account