Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

YOUTH: United 1 - 0 Doncaster (aet)

17 November 2015

United win through with extra time penalty

Carl Taylor’s extra time penalty saw Carlisle United progress to the Third Round of The FA Youth Cup.

Neither side could find a way through in normal time, but the hosts took the lead in the first half of extra time when Taylor converted a penalty after Aaron Bradbury was brought down.

Taylor’s penalty proved enough for United who sealed passage through to the next round of the competition.

A dramatic victory over Tranmere in Round One likely had the Cumbrians filled with confidence while Rovers dispatched of Barnsley in their opening game of the competition and were similarly looking to progress.

The visitors started brightly with lone striker Joe Pugh causing the home defence problems. His first chance came when he stole the ball deep in Carlisle territory and drilled over from 20 yards, before he curled narrowly wide from the edge of the box moments later.

After absorbing some early pressure the hosts started to stamp their authority on the game and had a golden chance to take the lead after ten minutes when a long throw from Cuan Hurley was nodded on to Jack Egan who somehow headed over from close range.

This buoyed the Blues who had another chance only three minutes later. A neat turn of pace from Cameron Salkeld saw him into the area and his cutback found Aaron Bradbury who took a touch before sending his effort over the bar.

Chances were coming thick and fast for both sides. Jordan Holt saw a weak effort from a corner trickle wide before Carlisle were relieved to see Joshua Barker volley over after some penalty area pinball following a free-kick.

It was Doncaster who finished the half on the front foot, with Kevin Mbuti heading wide from a corner before a second corner saw the ball fall to Pugh who hooked his effort past the post. 

The game remained goalless at the interval, but the hosts applied the early pressure after the break.

A weak back pass from Connor Williamson was almost intercepted by Egan before Hurley’s drilled cross was agonisingly close to being turned home as the Blues flooded the area.

Jordan Holt was the next to threaten for the hosts when his sweetly stuck volley went narrowly wide after the ball fell nicely for him on the edge of the area.

Doncaster struggled to create any clear chances in the second half. They came closest when Barker’s looping volley from 25 yards was comfortably tipped over by Morgan Bacon.

The Blues had a golden chance to take the lead as the game headed towards the end of normal time. A weighted through ball set substitute Max Brown free down the left and he teed up Kieran Hall whose effort was superbly blocked by Jones when he looked certain to score.

Despite some late pressure, neither side were able to break the deadlock and the game headed into extra time.

As both teams looked to break the other down in the first half, it took a moment of brilliance to produce the evening’s only goal ten minutes into extra time. A superb run from Bradbury saw him into the area where he was tripped. The referee awarded a penalty and Carl Taylor stepped up and sent Jones the wrong way.

There was still to be some late drama in the tie as with two minutes remaining Rovers bundled home a header from close range, only to see the linesman’s flag put an abrupt end to their celebrations.

United had a chance to extend their lead when Brown fired over from 12 yards, but Taylor’s penalty proved enough to set up a tie with Preston North End in Round Three.



United - Taylor (100)



United - Douglas (90), Hall (115), Quigley (120)



United - Bacon, Hurley, Pearson (McCue 120), Quigley, Douglas, Robson, Salkeld (Brown 80), Egan (Hall 71), Holt, Taylor, Bradbury. Subs - Williams, Breen.

Doncaster - Jones, Greasley, Carberry (Walker 111), Williamson, Mbuti, Parkin, Linley, Pugh, Barker, Gains (Henderson 84), Longbottom. Subs - Fielding, Sampson, Sims.


Referee - Rebecca Welch

Attendance - 197

Advertisement block