Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

RESERVES: Strong Magpies XI beat United in entertaining game

27 January 2015

Report from the reserve game against Newcastle United

Carlisle United were beaten by a strong Newcastle United XI in an entertaining Tuesday afternoon friendly over in the north east.

First team squad members Dan Hanford, Paul Thirlwell, Patrick Brough, Josh Gillies, Dave Symington, Danny Kearns and Mark Beck were joined by first year youth defender Joe Robson and trialists for the start of the game and the Cumbrians gave as good as they got through the tight opening exchanges.

Carlisle fashioned the first half chance when Robson sent a high ball into the box. Beck nodded it down and Williams did well to get across to make a vital block. 

The visitors stayed on the front foot and Symington spread the play with a raking pass to send Kearns on the run. He beat his man but he drilled it wide of the upright as he was forced to shoot from a tight angle across the face of goal.

Midfielder Kearns was in action again moments later when he found space. It opened up in front of him and he was disappointed as a well struck effort climbed high into the sky.

The Magpies responded with a flowing move when Gabriel Obertan exchanged passes with Santon. A low cross needed just a touch but Armstrong couldn’t quite get there as he threw himself at the ball.

It was end to end and Carlisle grabbed the lead with their next attack when Brough crossed early under pressure from Barlaser. Striker Mark Beck shrugged his man off and picked his spot with a neat header which left Woodman with no chance.

Newcastle were stung and their response was almost immediate when Abeid came out of a tough tackle with Symington with the ball at his feet. Jonas Gutierrez called for it and he had options as he carried it forward to the edge of the box. Siem de Jong was in acres of space and a slide rule pass left him with the relatively simple task of slotting it past the advancing Dan Hanford.

The equaliser settled the hosts and Vuckic went close when a Gutierrez cross was allowed to bounce free inside the area. Hanford was quick to react to prevent what looked to be a certain goal.

And the keeper was in action again when de Jong forced his way through to go one on one midway through the half. A sliding block denied the returning front man as he tried to clip it into the bottom corner.

A trio of good saves was completed when Santon raced forward to support another Magpies attack. He whipped his shot through bodies and a full length dive was needed as the agile stopper palmed it away.

Newcastle picked up where they left off after the break as they sent men forward and Santon shaved the post with another cross from the left which had the visiting defence worried. 

Obertan sent one over the bar when he linked with Abeid as the pressure steadily grew, and the home side deservedly went in front when Barlaser overlapped on the right. Haris Vuckic timed his run perfectly to bundle the ball over the line at the back stick.

More good work from Armstrong brought a thundering volley which rattled back off the post, and the young front man was given an opportunity to bag from the spot when Marshall felled Gillead with an outstretched leg. Hanford made the save of the day as he spread himself to reach the cleanly struck penalty kick.

Carlisle came back into it and Beck sent a header wide when Gillies dropped a cross into the mix. And Dave Symington beat the wall, but not the keeper, when his 30-yard set piece dipped late and was plucked out of the air.

The result was put beyond doubt with ten minutes left to play when an Atkinson corner was only half cleared by Marshall. Jonathyn Quinn kept it alive and Lubo Satka found himself in the right place at the right time as he stabbed the loose ball into an unguarded net.

Youth second years Danny Eccles, Connor Hammell, Jason Blackburn, Tom White and Mike Quigley all got pitch time as the clock ticked down, and the United contingent left the Benton Training Centre feeling pleased with what had been a very worthwhile trip.


Magpies - de Jong (17), Vuckic (55), Satka (85)

United - Beck (15)


Newcastle United - Woodman, Barlaser (Atkinson 76), Williams, Satka, Santon, Abeid (Ward 59), Vuckic (Bigirimana 73), Obertan (Gillead 59), de Jong (Quinn 46), Gutierrez, Armstrong (Heardman 82).

United team notes - Gillies, Thirlwell and Symington played the full game. Kearns played 45 minutes, Beck and Brough played 65 minutes and Hanford played 78 minutes.

Advertisement block