Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 3 Wycombe

21 February 2015

Match report from the Wycombe home game

Away specialists Wycombe Wanderers scored the killer goals and grabbed all three points as Carlisle struggled to get going on a difficult afternoon at Brunton Park.

A long ball over the top became a good ball shortly after kick off when Asamoah chased it down, and his lay off for Meppen-Walter brought a cross for Sweeney to contest. Pierre swept it clear, but Young countered as he picked it up and skipped past a tackle. The right back went for glory but his shot was always heading wide.

Another ball into the box from Young was kept alive by Sweeney and his cushioned header had to be stopped by Jacobson. Asamoah watched as the intervention dropped out of the sky and his spectacular overhead kick was easy for Ingram to save.

The Chairboys should have taken the lead from the counter attack which followed as McClure spread it to Wood. He swung a perfect cross into the area but McClure took his eye off it and sent a free header, from 10 yards, just over the bar.

Ingram was tested again at the other end when Wyke showed strength to make the ball his own as he shrugged off attention from two defenders. He opened a gap but sent his shot went right at the stopper.

More good Carlisle work put Potts on the overlap and Asamoah called for it as he arrived late in support. Ingram dived low to block a fierce drive and he did well to recover and stop Potts as he tried to squeeze it in.

The visitors wasted another excellent chance when Mawson nodded a deep free kick back towards the penalty spot. McClure was there but he was off balance as he rattled his well struck volley high into the air.

Carlisle had only themselves to blame as they went behind on 27 minutes when a high ball into the box was kept alive. Everyone hesitated as it bounced free until Aaron Pierre raced in to nod it into the bottom corner as Spiegel tried to close the space.

Wycombe looked confident and Spiegel was needed as McClure pulled wide to swing another good ball into the area. Onyedinma jumped high and it was a good block from the keeper as it threatened to creep over the line.

Striker Paul Hayes brought another diving save from Spiegel as he let fly from 19 yards, and Wood was left with his head in his hands when he misjudged a cut back from Jombati and threw his boot through thin air.

Carlisle lifted spirits with their first attack of the second half when Sweeney found Potts with his back to goal. He took it well, spun with it at his feet, and crunched a low shot just wide as he sent it across the face of goal. 

Wycombe doubled their lead just past the hour when Onyedinma weaved his way past Amoo and Young to get close to the target. He composed himself and bagged a wonderful goal as he curled it into the roof of the net from a very tight angle.

And the visitors added to their tally three minutes later when McClure took a difficult ball into his stride. He trapped it well before thundering an unstoppable volley into the bottom corner.

Kyle Dempsey celebrated the signing of his new contract when he found the roof of the net with a deflected shot, as Carlisle finally found some forward momentum, but Spiegel had to touch a shot from McClure over as the striker tried his luck from distance. 

Spiegel then had to tip a dipper from McClure over the bar as he went for an instinctive shot, and Wood whisked one wide as it became a shoot on sight policy for the Wanderers.

Carlisle came right back into it with ten minutes left to play when Wyke was tumbled to the floor as he protected the ball with his back to goal. Captain Danny Grainger took charge of the spot kick and he brought the crowd to its feet with a confident and cool finish.

Mark Beck's appearance lasted fewer than 60 seconds as he was given a straight red card for a poor, over the top challenge, having just come on from the bench, and Carlisle struggled to rediscover the impetus they needed as Wycombe successfully saw the game out to claim their victory.



United - Dempsey (67), Grainger (82 pen)

Wycombe - Pierre (27), Onyedinma (62), McClure (65)



United - Grainger (15), Brough (50)

Sent off - Beck (85 - straight red)

Wycombe - Pierre (90)



Carlisle United - Spiegel, Young, O'Hanlon, Grainger, Brough, Dempsey, Potts, Meppen-Walter (Amoo 30), Sweeney (Beck 85), Asamoah (Rigg 65), Wyke. Subs - Hanford, Archibald-Henville, Kearns, Griffith.

Wycombe Wanderers - Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Pierre, Bean (Murphy 89), Hayes (Craig 90), Bloomfield, Wood, McClure, Onyedinma (Ephraim 73), Mawson. Subs - Richardson, Fletcher, Rowe, Holloway.


Referee - Mr Darren Handley

Attendance - 4,021 (186 away fans)

Advertisement block