Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

YOUTH: United 1 - 2 Preston (aet)

1 December 2015

Result and report from the Preston FA Youth Cup game

Carlisle United have been knocked out the FA Youth Cup after late heartbreak against Preston North End.

Preston’s Jack Burgoyne opened the scoring after only 11 minutes before Aaron Bradbury equalised for United with only ten minutes remaining.

The Blues pushed forward in extra time but, as the game looked set for penalties, Joshua Earl struck from distance to seal the win for the Lilywhites.

United had earned their place in the third round after victories over Tranmere and Doncaster, while Preston were facing their first game in the competition. 

The visitors started brightly and had a chance after only three minutes when Lamin Jagne’s persistence saw him win the ball in the area and tee up Frederik Tracey, only for the striker to see his close range effort deflected over the bar.

Tracey’s physicality was proving a tough test for the United backline, and after he muscled his way past a defender only a superb save from Morgan Bacon denied him before the stopper quickly recovered to parry Dylan Davidson’s follow-up.

This reprieve was only temporary however, with Preston taking the lead shortly after. When United failed to clear a corner, Adam James Robinson forced a cross back into the area and his delivery was nodded home at the far post by Burgoyne.

United rallied after falling behind and began to press forward. They came close to an equaliser on 25 minutes when a Carl Taylor corner was met by Matt Douglas whose header rattled the crossbar.

Chances continued to come for the Blues, with Taylor curling wide from the edge of the area before Kieran Hall flicked a header past the far post moments later.

A golden chance presented itself five minutes before the break when patient build-up play saw Hall play Cameron Salkeld into the area. The winger had time and space to shoot but could only fire at the Preston stopper.

Preston went in at half-time ahead, and quickly set about trying to add to their lead in the second half. After Davidson’s powerful effort was held by Bacon the Lilywhites threatened again through Jonathan Lunney, but his effort was tame and easy for the Carlisle keeper.

The Blues grew into the game as the half progressed, but still found chances at a premium. Ellis Pearson almost caught the goalkeeper out with a free-kick from the halfway line, but Hudson adjusted himself well to tip over.

Pearson then tried to turn provider as his ball over the top found substitute Max Brown in the area. The striker had time to control but saw his shot charged down by two defenders.

It wasn’t long, however, until the Blues got the equaliser their play deserved. Pearson’s deep cross was headed back across goal by Douglas and the ball fell kindly for Bradbury who drilled past the goalkeeper from 12 yards out.

Despite some late pressure from the hosts, the game headed into extra time and the visitors looked to take control. The lively Lunney saw an effort acrobatically saved by Bacon before the resultant corner was nodded narrowly wide of the far post by substitute Earl.

There was nothing to separate the sides at the midway point of extra time, but Carlisle found themselves with an opportunity within seconds of the restart when a raking ball found Bradbury in space. He took a touch before shooting, only to see a superb block from Ben Roberts keep it out.

The Blues were in the ascendancy and after Jordan Holt showed persistence to win the ball back in midfield he surged forward only to see his long range effort fly narrowly over the crossbar.

But, against the run of play, Preston snatched victory with only five minutes remaining when a long range effort from Earl found its way past Bacon.

Bradbury had a late chance to send the tie to penalties, but he could only direct his header straight at Hudson leaving Preston to hang on and claim victory.



United - Bradbury (80)

Preston - Burgoyne (11), Earl (116)



United - Breen, Douglas

Preston - Tracey, Roberts



Carlisle United - Bacon, Hurley, Pearson, Holt, Douglas, Robson, Salkeld (Egan 55), Quigley (Breen 21), Hall (Brown 60), Taylor, Bradbury. Subs Not Used - McCue, Williams.

Preston North End - Hudson, Crankshaw, Whelan, Jagne (Earl), Roberts, Burgoyne, Davidson (Howard), Robinson, Tracey, Meulensteen (Boyd), Lunney. Subs Not Used - Roberts, Fenjome.


Referee - Mr Will Finnie

Attendance - 280

Advertisement block