Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Hartlepool 2 - 3 United

29 August 2015

Match report from the Hartlepool away game

Carlisle United edged another thrilling encounter courtesy of another brace from in-form front man Jabo Ibehre and some determined and gutsy displays from players across the whole team as they overcame a sluggish start to impose themselves fully, particularly after the break.

The travellling fans created an excellent atmosphere but they had to watch with hearts in mouths as Woods swung a free kick to the far post early in the day. It went over everyone as a tussle between Paynter and Grainger resulted in a completely torn shirt for the Carlisle captain.

And it was the home fans who were able to make the noise on 6 minutes when a deep free kick was volleyed back into the mix by Magnay. Centre back Scott Harrison was unmarked on the penalty spot and he made no mistake with a firmly struck finish.

United were almost back on terms immediately when Hery sent Kennedy on the overlap. His cut back caused all kinds of confusion as the ball pinged about dangerously. Hery recovered it, drew the keeper and fed it to Rigg, but his toe poke was blocked by Boyce before it could cross the line.

Carlisle settled into their game and they went close again when a long throw from Miller sat up nicely for Archibald-Henville. He tried to readjust but he had to hurry the volley and he blazed it over the bar.

The action switched to the other end and a neat pass from Duckworth left Featherstone with room to move inside the box. He beat his man and Gillespie had to save with his boot as the ball arrowed at his bottom corner.

Former-Blue Billy Paynter went for glory with a dipping 30-yard volley as Pools edged back on top, but it was Carlisle who should have registered the second goal of the day when Grainger sent a cross across the face of goal. Ibehre got a touch to lift it over the keeper but it dropped agonisingly onto the roof of the net.

A moment of skill from Bingham brought the crowd to its feet on the half hour when he dropped his shoulder and wrong-footed two defenders on the edge of the box. He unleashed a powerful shot which rattled back off the angle of post and bar with Gillespie well beaten.

Grainger earned a corner as United tried to find a way through, with a deflected 35 yard effort, and the Blues kept knocking on the door as they enjoyed a good spell ahead of the break. 

A cross from McQueen brought a back heel from Rigg which had to be hooked away, and a deep free kick from Miller was nodded down firmly by Raynes as the away pressure grew. Kennedy stabbed it at Bartlett as he raced off his line and the rebound bounced unkindly off the midfielder and popped wide of the upright.

The home side finished the half on the front foot and a through ball from Featherstone pushed Paynter wide. He fizzed it across the face of goal but the support was on it heels and the ball spun harmlessly away.

Carlisle thought they'd restored parity with just 58 seconds on the second half clock when Grainger sent another excellent free kick at the far post. Archibald-Henville bundled through bodies to get there but his header went just an inch over the bar.

Bingham had a deflected shot go wide as the crowd shouted for a corner, and a cut back from Woods screamed out for a touch until Hery swept it clear under pressure from Paynter.

Grainger sent a miscued volley over when another teasing Miller throw was only half cleared, but it was eight for the season for Ibehre when determination from Rigg set the visitors on an attack. Kennedy measured a lovely lobbed pass into the box and the big striker did the rest with a calm nodded finish.

Substitute Nelson-Addy had to be stopped in his tracks as he burst through shortly after coming on and the same player fluffed his lines with a weak shot when he was played through by Bingham.

Hartlepool missed a great chance to restore their lead on 65 minutes when Fenwick picked out Carroll with his back to goal. He spun and shot but he couldn't get the right connection and he dragged it wide.

There was action at both ends and an Ibehre header from a McQueen delivery had to be grasped by Bartlett, but it was Pools who struck next when Kennedy was judged to have held his man down inside the area from a deep free kick.

Billy Paynter stepped up to take the spot kick and he sent Gillespie the wrong way as he crunched the ball into the back of the net.

It was typical derby-day stuff and United equalised for a second time when Tom Miller dropped a shoulder and took the ball onto his left foot. The keeper knew nothing about it as a rasping drive flew into the top corner.

Asamoah then twisted and turned his way to a blocked shot as he had Ibehre bellowing at him to pass the ball, and Miller earned a loud chorus of 'ooohs' with another decent shot, this time off the right peg.

Carlisle suddenly looked the more likely and Grainger was left with his head in his hands as Ibehre was blocked twice in quick succession from his defence splitting pass.

But the travelling fans were sent wild as their team stayed on the front foot. Grainger picked up a loose ball and his shot was met on the full by the rampaging Jabo Ibehre, who picked his spot with a volley on the run.

And the Cumbrians missed the chance to wrap the points up when Ibehre robbed possession on the edge of the box. Grainger took over and his pass put it on a plate for Asamoah, just 8 yards from goal. He tried to place his shot but Bartlett got across to make the save.



Pools - Harrison (6), Paynter (70 pen)

United - Ibehre (57, 85), Miller (76)



United - Miller (40), Rigg (56), Ibehre (62), Archibald-Henville (67), Kennedy (69)



Hartlepool United - Bartlett, Duckworth, Harrison, Boyce, Carroll, Magnay (Nelson-Addy 46), Featherstone, Woods, Oates (Fenwick 63), Paynter, Bingham. Subs - Denton, Worley, Oyenuga, Jones, Smith.

Carlisle United - Gillespie, McQueen (Thompson 77), Miller, Raynes, Archibald-Henville, Grainger, Hery (Dicker 86), Kennedy, Joyce, Rigg (Asamoah 68), Ibehre. Subs - Hanford, Brough, Sweeney, Balanta.


Referee - Mr Andy Haines

Attendance - 4,935 (887 away fans)

Advertisement block