Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

LADIES: United lose out to Blackpool

26 April 2015

Update from the CUFC Ladies team

The Ladies were back in action last weekend to play their semi-final league cup game against Premier Division side Blackpool.

United knew they were in for a tough game as Blackpool were coming into it off the back of a 6-0 win and were sat in a comfortable position in the top half of the table.

The Blues knew they had nothing to lose and they were looking forward to producing a repeat of the performance they'd put in against Preston last month.

The game started with high intensity as Blackpool came out all guns blazing. They moved the ball with pace and precision from the first whistle which put United on the back foot and caused problems throughout the team.

United absorbed most of the early pressure but they were caught on 15 minutes when Blackpool took the lead with a well worked goal. 

The goal rocked the Cumbrians and they much more positive from the restart as they stepped up their tempo and pushed forward on the counter at every opportunity.  

The Blues settled more as the game went on and they stepped up their efforts more to match Blackpool's pace. United came close on a couple of occasions but they couldn't quite find the back of the net.   

United's remit for the second half was to try to keep their shape and stay positive in their play. The second half started with the same intensity but this time United were more focused and organised. Both teams created chances but neither side could find the target. 

Blackpool grew more frustrated as United grew in confidence, but Carlisle were disappointed when they conceded a sloppy goal through lack of concentration and awareness.

The frustration levels were high at having allowed the Tangerines to pull away so the Blues threw everything forward in an attempt to get back in the game. 

They were awarded a free kick just outside the area and Browbank stepped up to take charge. She struck it sweetly and it looped over the keeper and into the back of the net.

Carlisle sniffed a possibility of taking the game to extra time and they came close on three occasions without quite managing to do the job. 

Blackpool took possession late in the day and expertly ran the clock down, bringing an end to the Carlisle dream of making it two finals this season.

Manager Tracy Gannon said: "We knew it was going to be a tough test but, apart from the first 20 minutes, the girls stepped up. I think the pace at the start shook us a bit as Blackpool moved the ball so quickly.

"Once we settled and regrouped we started to feel from the sidelines that we could definitely get something from the game.

"We need to put it to bed now and regroup quickly. The successful runs we've had in the cups this season has put pressure on us to get our remaining four games played in just over a week, before the season cut off date. That won't be easy, but we're up for it."

United - Edmondson, Adam, Ullyart, Mallin, Smethurst, Browbank, Dunn, Robinson, Ullyart, Mallinson (Martin), Walker (Comber).

Advertisement block