Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

LADIES: Stockport 1 - 1 United

30 April 2015

Ladies get a point at Stockport

The Ladies had a long night last Wednesday with a 265-mile round trip to Stockport for an 8pm kick off.

The game got under way and United settled quickly into the routine of playing on a slick 3G surface.  

It was pretty much end to end play with neither team able to turn the good build up play into goals. An intriguing midfield battle ensued with United's Robinson and Dunn determined in their approach.

Both teams had opportunities during the first half but the keepers looked comfortable as they coped with everything which was thrown at them. 

The first goal came late in the first half when Stockport broke in numbers. United failed to close the danger down and a long range shot caught Edmondson off guard. She couldn't get across quickly enough and it angled into the bottom corner. 

Carlisle went in search of an equaliser from the restart but they couldn't make their pressure tell and the home side took their one-goal advantage into the break. 

United looked the better side as they grew in confidence at the start of the second half but Stockport changed tactics and the action switched to a congested middle area.

The Cumbrians continued to create half chances and they were rewarded for their hard work on 75 minutes when Robinson drove through the heart of the midfield. A drop of the shoulder left two players in her wake and the powerful drive left the keeper with no chance.  

United's defence looked solid after their goal and they almost grabbed a winner late in the day when Walker nicked possession inside the County half. She caught the ball well but the stopper completed a fantastic save as she dropped low to tip it round the upright.  

Manager Tracy Gannon said: "The girls worked really hard tonight and a point was the least they deserved. We couldn't believe it when we saw the kick off time, particularly when you consider it's a two-and-a-half-hour journey, and there was then the task of getting enough players to play.

"We had players using holiday days and all sorts, and that allowed us to field some of our important senior squad members. There was confusion over the kick off time when we got there, with an implication that they'd done us a favour by pushing it back to 8pm, but that only served to fire us up. 

"We took that into the game and, as a say, the draw was the least we deserved with the circumstances we had to face and the effort we put in."

Player of the match - Lauren Ullyart

Advertisement block