Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Accrington 1 - 3 United

2 September 2014

Report from the Johnstone's Paint Trophy first round fixture

Managerless Carlisle United booked their place in round two of this season's Johnstone's Paint Trophy competition as they overturned an early Accrington lead to assert their authority and score the goals which mattered on a morale boosting night for the club.

Caretakers Paul Thirlwell and Tony Caig made three changes to the starting line up with Gillies, Dempsey and Dicker recalled to replace Amoo, Marriott and the club captain himself.

A long through ball from Potts almost set Dempsey clean through during the frantic opening exchanges but Lumley was off his line quickly to complete a much-needed clearance.

Accrington responded with a run from Buxton which took him past his man on the right. His initial cross was cleared and Carver and Bowerman had shots blocked as they followed up.

That sparked a good spell for the hosts and Naismith dissected the Carlisle defence with a wicked cross that had Carver stretching at the far post. He got a touch but it wasn't enough to find the target.

A clipped ball forward from Paynter sent Dempsey on another chase and the yellow shirts eventually spread it wide to Brough. Aldred dropped deep and gratefully hooked it clear as Paynter and Sweeney converged.

Both sides were direct in their approach, and Brough presented Atkinson with another difficult moment when he whisked another grass cutting cross at the near post. The big defender stumbled but recovered before Paynter could have his say.

Carlisle started to get into their stride and Potts earned a corner with a deflected shot after he lost his man with a drop of the shoulder 25 yards from goal. And the Cumbrians should have taken the lead from the resulting corner when Grainger bent a wicked delivery to the back stick. Dempsey ducked low to meet it but he saw it late and the ball bobbled harmlessly into the side netting.

A fiercely struck Naismith free kick had to tipped over by Gillespie as it threatened to find its way under the bar and Carlisle struggled to deal with the corner as Accrington flooded the box. A through ball from the half clearance left Mark Gillespie in no man’s land and Marcus Carver wasted no time in popping his lob over the retreating keeper and into the back of the net.

The Carlisle response was swift and they found themselves back on level terms within just three minutes when the lightning quick Josh Gillies stole a yard on the right flank. He looked up and clipped a lovely pass into the six yard box where Antony Sweeney was on hand to volley it home from very close range.

Sweeney was a willing runner again just before the break when he called for a pass from Dicker. He used strength to muscle his marker out of the way but the header was easy for Lumley to gather.

More positive play brought a powerful shot from Symington as Carlisle camped forward and Grainger went close when he also tried his luck with a thunderbolt which shaved the bar on its way into the stands.

A confident Sweeney glanced another header over as the Cumbrians maintained the upper hand but it was honours even heading into the half time team talk.

United started on the front foot after the break when tight work from Potts allowed him to send Brough on the overlap. The red shirts did well to close the gap and get the ball clear.

It was end to end and neat control from Carver gave him half a sight of the target. He stepped inside Symington but sent a weak shot at Gillespie.

Youngster Patrick Brough saw plenty of the ball and his determination earned a decisive corner as he put Buxton under pressure. Grainger sent it to Sweeney and his nod down left Kyle Dempsey with the simple task of registering his first goal for the club with a close range toe poke.

Striker Billy Paynter had two bites of the cherry on the edge of the opposition box but Mustoe was brave as he blocked and forced the second snatched effort to be dragged wide.

United still had a job to do and Windass brought a full length save from Gillespie when he let fly from 30 yards. Firm hands from the stopper beat it away.

Controversy ruled moments later when Billy Paynter appeared to return to the field of play, from behind the goal, and finish off a saved Brad Potts shot from his offside position. The red shirts stood still as they waited for the decision but the officials ignored the appeals and award the striker what was also his first goal for the club.

It was all about Carlisle and a thunderbolt from Gillies had Lumley in midair as he dived to beat it away.

The game petered out as a contest as United looked comfortable with their lead and they kept the ball well as they frustrated their hosts and safely negotiated the closing tame ten minutes of play.



Accrington - Carver (21)

United - Sweeney (24), Dempsey (49), Paynter (69)



Accrington - Buxton (35)

United - Brough (19), Symington (61)



Accrington Stanley - Lumley, Buxton, Joyce, Aldred, Windass, Hatfield, Naismith, Carver (Mingoia 83), Atkinson, Mustoe, Bowerman (McCartan 65). Subs - Simpson, Winnard, Goulding.

Carlisle United - Gillespie, Symington, O'Hanlon, Grainger, Brough, Gillies (Marriott 86), Potts, Dicker, Sweeney (Thirlwell 64), Paynter (Elliott 71), Dempsey. Subs - Hanford, Amoo.


Referee - Mr Lee Collins

Attendance - 818 (282 away fans)

Advertisement block