Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Hartlepool 0 - 3 United

4 October 2014

Match report from the Hartlepool United game

Carlisle United eased themselves off the bottom of the table with their second win in two games as the recovery under new boss Keith Curle continues to gather pace.

It was end to end from the off and a long ball over the top caused confusion for Bates as he waited for Flinders to come out and collect. A moment of hesitation brought an instinctive poke from the defender and he was relieved to see the ball bobble wide for a corner with the keeper completely out of the equation.

Carlisle kept the forward momentum going and a whipped cross from Brough had Rigg interested as he arrived late. He was a whisker away from the touch he needed until Austin stepped in to make the clearance.

Determination from Beck in midfield sent Amoo on a run on the right flank as Hartlepool struggled to adjust to the early pace of the game. His initial cross was blocked but Potts slid in to win it back inside the box. Amoo clipped a lovely ball to the far post and it was almost a dream debut for Rigg as he connected firmly with a downward header. Flinders spread himself and somehow completed a wonderful save to prevent it from crossing the line.

It was all about the Cumbrians as they continued to dominate midfield and right back Hayden White found freedom to get forward when Amoo beat two and skipped clear. His pass sat nicely for the shot but he scuffed it and dragged it well wide.

Pools enjoyed a good spell midway through the half and they almost made it count when Brobbel put Duckworth into a good area. His cross ricocheted into the air off White but Charlie Wyke was off balance and what looked to be a simple tap in went begging right in front of goal.

The defence came under pressure again moments later when a low kick from Hanford was picked up by Miller. He spotted Brobbel with time on his hands but the back four reshaped quickly to close the door.

It was an intriguing game to watch and Beck thought he’d found a way through when he muscled his way onto an inswinging Grainger free kick. His header was goal bound until Harrison intervened.

Hartlepool were next to ask questions when a lobbed pass from Miller was nodded down by Wyke. Harewood had to work hard to get his body shape right but he wrapped his boot round it and stroked a decent effort just over the bar.

United started the second half as they had left the first, with a willingness to attack, and a piercing drive from Potts took him into the box. His cut back found Rigg but his first time shot curled just wide of the upright with Flinders completely unsighted.

Carlisle were camped forward and Brough and Rigg fashioned an opening for Potts when they battled for possession at a tight angle. The midfielder struck it well but Flinders was well placed to beat it away.

Pools got forward as the action ebbed and flowed and Miller and Wyke had to be marshalled as they tried to pick a way through. Harewood eventually beat his man to send the ball into the danger area and Hanford had to dive to his right to make the save when Franks let fly with a stinging effort.

United got the lead their overall play deserved when Grainger launched a long throw into the box. Beck flicked it on and local lad Steven Rigg shrugged his marker out of the way to get the vital touch which marked his Football League debut with a real personal high point.

The hosts were almost back on terms within minutes when Brobbel won then took a corner with some enterprising play. Bates showed for it but his header lacked direction as it flew across the face of goal.

Brobbel suddenly looked a danger man but he was disappointed when he beat Grainger only to clip a poor cross onto the roof of the net.

Carlisle weathered the mini-storm and Rigg received another round of applause when he met a Potts cross on the full. The header was good, but easy to save. And Potts rattled an off balance shot just wide, when he called for a lay off from Beck, as United started to get themselves back on top.

Pools attacked tentatively and they were left looking at each other in frustration once again when Harewood headed the ball back across the face of goal. Woods was there but he was on his heels and the moment was gone.

Woods had another half chance when a rebounding ball sat up unexpectedly in front of him. But it was a wild swipe of the leg which sent the ball safely into the keeper's hands. It was excellent work from Archibald-Henville on the goal line in the next attack when Brobbel caught a volley right on the sweet spot. It was going in until the big defender stuck his leg out to make the block.

Home tails were up and Hanford had to drop low to stop Harewood from sneaking one in at the near post. The loose ball was scrambled clear and White was the man on the line this time when Wyke's deflected shot threatened to find the top corner.

It was another period of pressure to be dealt with and the visitors eased their worries in the best possible way with eight minutes left to play when a first time cross from Grainger was swept into substitute Stephen Elliott's path. He measured his shot and left Flinders with no chance as it curled into the bottom corner.

A back heel from Beck then had to be stopped by Flinders and the big striker was an inch away once more when he threw himself at a Dempsey cross-shot with Carlisle well on top.

The fight had been visibly removed from shot shy Hartlepool and United rubbed salt into the wounds late in the day when Dempsey wriggled free to pump the ball past Flinders. Mark Beck said thank you very much as he slid in to finish it off from very close range.

And the Hartlepool afternoon was summed up when Wyke, clean through, lobbed the best home chance of the afternoon onto the roof of the net when all he had to do was find the target.



United - Rigg (54), Elliott (82), Beck (89)



Hartlepool - Holden (29)

United - Archibald-Henville (16), Grainger (29)



Hartlepool United - Flinders, Duckworth, Bates, Harrison, Austin, Brobbel, Miller, Walker (Woods 67), Holden (Franks 46), Harewood, Wyke. Subs - Woodman, Collins, Hawkins, Richards, Jones.

Carlisle United - Hanford, White, Archibald-Henville, Thirlwell, Grainger, Amoo (Dicker 57), Potts, Dempsey, Brough (Paynter 81), Beck, Rigg (Elliott 69). Subs - Caig, Gillies, Symington, O'Hanlon.


Referee - Mr Darren Bond

Attendance - 3,927 (829 away fans)

Advertisement block