Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 0 Accrington

15 November 2014

Report from the Accrington Stanley game

Carlisle returned to winning ways thanks to hotshot Derek Asamoah as a hard working performance brought the result the home side deserved from another entertaining game at Brunton Park.

United controlled the early play and an exchange between Dempsey and Robson left Grainger with passing options. He found Asamoah with his back to goal but a turn on the spot brought a snapshot which Rose had to parry.

Carlisle kept the pressure levels high as they peppered the box and a back post cross from Robson had Paynter interested. He climbed high but his header dropped just wide of the upright.

Wide man Danny Kearns saw plenty of the ball and he twice beat his man to put testing crosses into the box. There were plenty of blue shirts but the ball wouldn't quite drop as Accrington defended in numbers.

An instinctive cross from Meppen-Walter found Stanley light at the back and Asamoah edged into space as he looked to get his head to the ball. He had time on his hands but he couldn't keep it down and it looped high over the target.

The Cumbrians got the reward for their bright start when an intelligent through ball from Paynter allowed Asamoah to beat the offside trap. The end result of the move was never in doubt as the confident striker drew the keeper and calmly slotted it into the bottom corner to register his fourth goal of the campaign.

A thunderbolt from nothing from O'Sullivan momentarily silenced the home crowd as it edged past Hanford and appeared to nestle in the onion bag. It was relief all round when realisation dawned that it had hit the net supporting bar before trundling along the outside line at the back of the net.

Accrington suddenly looked confident and O'sullivan had options when he broke forward from the centre circle. He fed it to McCarten but he lost his balance and sent a poor shot well wide from the edge of the box.

Carlisle accepted the warning and picked up the pace and a deep cross from Grainger found Dempsey on his own in the box. A heavy first touch gave Rose an opening and he raced off his line to pick up the loose ball.

More good work from Paynter and Asamoah on the right flank provided another half chance for Dempsey as he arrived late. He put his boot through the ball but it was always going wide.

United looked good in attack and Paynter, Kearns and Asamoah moved it quickly as Robson ghosted in from the left flank. A driven low cross took a deflection and that left Paynter wrong footed as he slid in to try to get the touch.

An early second half free kick found Meppen-Walter unmarked but his header was easy for Rose as it flew right down the keeper's throat. And Dempsey created a gap to exploit moments later when he beat two to angle into the area. He let one fly but it went wide as the keeper stayed rooted to the spot.

Carlisle continued to look the more likely and a hopeful hook forward from Grainger left Robson in acres of space. He clipped it into the mix with a first time touch but Asamoah miscued his shot and it spun harmlessly away.

Brown and Amoo started to work the right flank area and Robson was given a free header when the pair fashioned a deep cross midway through the half. The wide man tried to time his leap but it was a difficult chance and it rose high into the afternoon sky.

Stanley were almost gifted a goal late in the day when Procter swung the ball to the back stick. Maguire saw it late but the touch off his thigh needed a save from Hanford as it threatened to creep over the line.

Carlisle responded and they almost struck on the counter attack when Robson and Sweeney moved forward with purpose. Atkinson had to intervene as Amoo shaped to finish it off at close range. Substitute Steven Rigg went even closer with the next attack when he sent a stunning volley through bodies. Rose did well to get a hand to it and push it away.

Accrington sent numbers up front through the closing final stages and that left gaps which Amoo was happy to exploit. His run and cross in time added on brought another Rose save at his near post as Rigg tried to toe poke it in.

An Amoo stinger brought another late block from Rose and Robson was ready to celebrate as United finished with a flourish. Winnard did well to get enough of a deflection to send it over the bar.



United - Asamoah (21)



United - Grainger (83), Amoo (90)



Carlisle United - Hanford, Brown, Anderson, Meppen-Walter, Grainger, Kearns (Amoo 72), Dicker, Robson, Dempsey, Asamoah (Rigg 76), Paynter (Sweeney 73). Subs - Eccles, Beck, Brough, O'Hanlon.

Accrington Stanley - Rose, Joyce, Aldred, Winnard, McCarten (Molyneux 74), Naismith (Gray 60), Hunt (Liddle 62), O'Sullivan, Maguire, Procter, Atkinson. Subs - Windass, Hatfield, Simpson, Carver.


Referee - Mr Tony Harrington

Attendance - 4,069 (194 away fans)

Advertisement block